Aftermarket head unit not fitting flush

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pinjasaur, May 25, 2021.

1. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

I wanted to swap out the head unit on my newish-to-me 05 FXT to something that didn't require continued use of the finnicky Bluetooth FM transmitter. Ended up settling on a Sony XAV-AX100 refurb. Has a volume knob, Bluetooth, and wired AA/CarPlay.

The problem is I'm not totally thrilled with the fitment. The stock head unit extended out further past the trim lip and was also slightly curved. This means it's currently sitting a bit recessed and the volume knob is awkward.

Currently my best idea involves removing some of the lip off the trim piece e.g. with a dremel and using a few washers to space the head unit forward. Anyone else have issues like this? And perhaps came up with a more ideal solution?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

My 03' WRX OEM headunit (all hail cassette deck + 6 disc CD changer) died a couple years ago and I replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-501EX from Crutchfield. I like the deck but it is a tad recessed I suppose. In my case its all buttons so not a deal break but in your case I'm wondering if this is just a byproduct of Subaru's head deck brackets or just the joys of aftermarket.

My hunch is a little bit of both but there's a lot of folks here with much more elaborate setups than mine and will have some better ideas!

Totally your call about dremmeling the trim but personally I'd try another route first (like a spacer or washers if that's what it takes). The trim just won't look as clean once you've cut into it.

pinjasaur likes this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Quick and dirty way without modifying the car's trim plate would be to glue another knob onto the Sony's volume knob so it would stand proud of the bezel and allow you to grab it and turn it. Ax Man has all sorts of knobs and **** and I am sure you could find something the appropriate size and shape. A little dab of silicone would probably keep it affixed.

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.
  4. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

We only use genuine ax man parts.

PJ171, pinjasaur and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. pillboy

Ax Man rocks. I was just there a few days ago. The St Louis Park store moved again in the same strip mall. Not as big as before.

pinjasaur likes this.
  6. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

TIL about Ax Man. @pillboy Not a bad idea about finding a way to extrude the volume knob. Hmm.

So, I tried using washers initially before I realized that the current limitation is how the head unit sits against the trim piece lip. I admittedly realize the photos I took aren't the greatest.

Essentially, I'd need to allow the head unit to sit more flush and then actually space it with washers. Which agreed, doesn't seem ideal w.r.t. needing to modify the trim piece.

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

It looks perfect in there right now. I’d maybe try the additional knob idea first. But a used trim piece could probably be acquired from UPull if you decide to dremel it. That way, if you screw it ip it will be less upsetting! Lol

pinjasaur likes this.
  8. Butthau5

I just installed the fire sprinklers for the best of India restaurant in that strip mall.
    I like the knob idea. Makes me wish my head unit had a volume knob so I could do it haha.

pillboy and pinjasaur like this.
  9. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Good idea checking UPull for a spare trim piece. Cheers.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. tangledupinblu

Or you can ask on here. We have a bunch of Subaru parts hoarders residing around here. Lol

Krazylegz1485, pinjasaur and euro like this.
  11. pillboy

I think all I have left after 4.5 years since the last Subaru left the garage is a wheel center cap on my desk. And that hoodie for Legz.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. Butthau5

Don't think it's the same but I would have not one but two trim setups for 02 wrx. I think they changed it after 04? Idk some parts might be the same though. Get some pictures with more in view and I could tell you

13. tangledupinblu

02 WRX is a 3 piece unit. Forester is two. Don’t think that they are compatible. Now, if he had an 05 WRX, it would be!

14. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

D'oh completely forgot to post a full pic. Small win for the install was routing the USB through the bracket where the cigarette/coin tray thing goes. If y'all have better ideas on where I can put my phone I'd be all ears too. :) IMG_20210528_183340-01.jpeg

Butthau5 likes this.
  15. Butthau5

Lol I do have an 05 wrx as well but no extra trim.

16. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I always used to run my aux input through the console and into the center console cubby. But I'm also old school and still use an iPod nano... Control it through the head unit so I almost never need to actually look at it. Could be a little different with a phone I guess.

Butthau5 likes this.
  17. Butthau5

I think the cord being over the temperature controls and screen would bother me too much, and your clocks aren't synchronized.

18. Krazylegz1485

Nice to know someone else shares my level of OCD.

Butthau5, tangledupinblu and pillboy like this.
  19. pillboy

It ruins your life though.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  20. tangledupinblu

I’d run it behind and up like this...(red line)
    1459FF5B-86F8-482D-8DF8-160E222A3279.jpeg

pillboy likes this.
  21. Krazylegz1485

If that was my setup and I had to have it up there I think I'd sneak the cord into the upper cubby and just shut the lid on it when in use. Then tuck it back inside when not in use. Probably have to modify the bin slightly to get the cord through, but you could pick one of them up at U-pull when you're getting that extra trim piece... Haha.

Butthau5 and tangledupinblu like this.
  22. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Ha, I appreciate all the comments in this thread. The USB to the phone is needed to use Android Auto in the new head unit (the wireless models are $$$) so I'm really just after a relatively ergonomic & secure way to have my phone plugged in. I suppose if the head unit ever glitched out I could still have my phone to fall back on.

Took a couple photos with an old phone to mock it up: IMG_20210529_115901-01.jpeg IMG_20210529_123829-01.jpeg

Butthau5 and tangledupinblu like this.
  23. pillboy

The volume knob bothers me and I can't forget about it.

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.
  24. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

This was sent to me by a friend, but looks pretty legit. Little hardware module that plugs into headunit/vehicle USB to provide wireless AA since those are pricey by themselves.

Strongly considering ordering for the January timeframe. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless/#/

25. pillboy

I have backed a few things on Kickstarter and all I have to say is be prepared to wait...and wait...and wait, and be prepared to lose your money and not get anything. A couple things I received have been pretty good experiences and the other two have been a total **** show.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Butthau5 and pinjasaur like this.