All new shocks, same ol' bounce!

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by SlowSC, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a 2010 Forester that is currently lowered on 2009 WRX springs and struts. I bought the used 09 wrx suspension in the fall and got an alignment from Jeff, the alignment guy, shortly after. The ride felt decent until about the beginning of this year where the ride was getting rough and showing signs of wear, from one corner then eventually to the other corners.

I recently changed out all four shocks with KYB GR2 shocks I bought from Rock Auto and the installation went well. Initially, my reaction was "meh, these new shocks feel a little better than before, but definitely underwhelming for brand new shocks." About 1000 miles later, the car is starting to develop the worn out shock bounce I had before that prompted me to change out the shocks in the first place.

Where should I start looking to see what is causing this issue?

Thanks!

2. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

You have an SUV lowered on a stiffer suspension. Are you sure it isn't just the way it is?

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

What your feeling is the spring rate of the springs for the application you chose not the struts fault.

4. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

From what I read the KYB's are supposed to be about OEM equivalents. Just curious to why the ride has gotten so bouncy on new struts compared to the used struts I bought that gave me about 5 months of decent ride quality. The stiffer suspension was a given going from Forester to WRX suspension.