Another Swap, project Starbuck (aka Kara)

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by DoughtCom, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

You make quick work! Everything is looking good, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Glad to hear your eye is healing, eye injuries are no joke!

2. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Looking good! What are you doing with all the parts you are removing/replacing?

3. EricS

EricS Nooberator

4. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

I love the desperate need of parts in the midwest, it's hilarious how insane it is to find parts here. I'm in California right now and JDM engines/parts are a matter of an hour or so drive somewhere. With that said sjogun, I think Se7enrex has dibs on a lot of the parts. I have a few items I'll be getting rid of soon though, including a Nardi STi V3/22B steering wheel, GD dash/04 STi wiring harness and ECU and a few other things.

I'll inform everyone when I get the parts posted, wanted to get the car running before I start the fire sale. I'll PM you and Se7enrex as soon as I'm going to post it.

In other news I'm traveling for Subaru right now so no progress until the weekend, but is anyone running this locally? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2266873 I come from the Evo scene as well and we had a dude named Tephra that came out with stuff like this. This is based on the Group N ROM and is only for 16 bit ECUs. My ECU luckily is non DBW and being the JDM I'm hoping it still works. I'm hoping I can con Ronnie at RS to help me tune with this :) I want NLTS and Launch control, the antilag is cool... but obviously not something I would want to use.

5. DoughtCom

I got quite a bit done this weekend. I also made a tough decision today. There's a few things I need to do to make this project I want and with the weather being crazy I won't be able to do everything I want to the engine bay. Long story short I'm going to do more engine cleanup next year, for now I'm going to get it winterized and mostly cleaned up. It will be MUCH better than it was, but being a perfectionist I'll be cleaning it up next Summer.

Here's where I'm at. (With pictures y0).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    joebush44, tangledupinblu and TMF like this.
  6. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

If you need anything available through Subaru of America, I get a pretty healthy discount...pm me :)

7. DoughtCom

Another small update... however it has by far taken the most time to do. I got the engine bay painted and the fender areas POR 15'd. So I'm ready for the front wiring harness, some cleanup and then the engine!

[​IMG]

TMF and phi11 like this.
  8. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Nice! I'll be doing that, any tips?

9. DoughtCom

Be patient! I used the spray kind that comes in an aerosol can, you can buy it locally at Welle auto supply in that or in the paint on form (like with a brush). Also I like Eastwood's rust encapsulator more as far as a finish. That's what I used inside the actual engine bay and on the wiper area. Eastwood's available on amazon, it's around the same cost per can at around $23. One can did the engine bay.

phi11 likes this.
  10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Looking good and looking to be done right! Thanks for the updates.

Ps, nice Evo too.

11. DoughtCom

Thanks TMF! Engine went in yesterday!

Step 1: Was plugging it in with a fire extinguisher handy. No Fire! Proceed to step 2.
    Step 2: Was turning the key on to accessory with the fire extinguisher at the ready. No Fire?!?! Proceed to step 3.
    Step 3: Put a bucket next to the open fuel lines to determine the feed line and plug them in.
    Step 4: Make sure there's oil in the engine.
    Step 5: Pray that it fires up... again with the fire extinquisher ready.

Long story short! It fired right up, on the first crank. Burned off a bit of oil, I'm assuming from oil making it past the rings from sitting/shipping and then was fine!

I have a few bugs to work out. My GC8 heater core/blower might not be as happy with the GD climate control panel as I had hoped, but I'm sure I can figure it out. But other than that, every light works (even the reverse clearange lights), every power lock works, hell even the key fob that came with the wiring harness works.

Also I had a 2 wire Vehicle Speed Sensor in my V3 5 Speed STi transmission. Luckily I guessed that a 2000 RS 5 Speed 3 wire would fit and it did! I don't know if it works yet?! But it fits!

I'm going to Utah for the weekend to the Ford Octane Acedemy, but when I'm back next week I hope to wrap this project up. I'll keep everyone posted.

[​IMG]

joebush44, TMF, tonyv and 3 others like this.
  12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Man, you waste no time!! Looks great!

13. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Sweet!!!

Just FYI I think there's a step 4b that I've heard people recommend, pull the IGN fuse from the cabin fuse box and crank the engine for a few seconds, builds pressure in the system (turbo esp), and then put the fuse back and you're ready for Step 5 :D

DoughtCom likes this.
  14. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Step 6: Sell to @Curry for $3000 so you can fund your next project!

15. Nick Carter

Nick Carter Member

We're like a dysfunctional family right? and family sells bitchin project cars to other family member for cheap right?

16. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

You have to have purchased a Subaru to be a part of THIS family. You've got a while.

17. souy07

souy07 Well-Known Member

:thumbup:HOLY MOTHER OF AMAZEBALLS!!!

EricS likes this.
  18. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

Bang Bang LOL

tehfuzz and Nick Carter like this.
  19. DoughtCom

Not sure why I haven't gotten "a thread you're watching has been updated" emails. With that said, I have an update! I might make it to the MNSubaru 10 year anniversary in the swap tomorrow, but the chances are I will be showing up in my Fiance's SG5 XT, either way I'll be stopping by. I'm not sure who will be there, but hoping to meet some people.

This was the car last night, tonight I plan on wrapping up a bit more and fine tuning some things. I also moved it on it's own power last night as well, not too far... just baby steps :)

[​IMG]

20. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

Bring your evo

21. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Look forward to seeing you regardless! I really like that grille :thumbup:

22. DoughtCom

Hey Eric! It was great meeting you and everyone else, including Sjogun. The dyno day was a blast and everyone seemed very nice. MNSubaru definitely has a good crew currently, makes me want to go to more events.

I got the car "done" last night, ran into a few issues with the high pressure GD line for the power steering. But this morning I worked feverishly to get the body panels on and all the other remaining bits in place. For now I stole my sedan GC8's fenders until my others come tomorrow. I have about 20 miles on it right now as my radiator broke and I'm just working through minor things. Anyway here's a shot of the complete product. In the next few weeks or so... paint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Great to meet you too!

Think it'll be mobile in time for the Tuesday meet?

I think you should leave the paint the way it is for now and hustle the streets to make a little spending money for the project ;)

24. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tehfuzz likes this.
  25. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

Duuuuude you have completely decimated me on the build holy carp! So excellent, maybe someday when I'm finally done traveling for business I can actually get my act together!!

26. DoughtCom

Sorry I've been AFK on the site, been sick this week and have only been doing little tweaks here and there. Eric, I hope to make it to a meet soon, I have obligations every Tuesday night :( But I should be able to swing it. Se7enrex, yeah I'm excited to meet you! Come this time next week I'll be able to drive to your place in the car so maybe we can do that as well :)

Minor update. I have about 50 miles on the car, been working through minor items here and there, but nothing major! I'm waiting on a new radiator still, but installed my downpipe, grimmspeed turbo heatshield and new fenders tonight.

I've slowly been adding right foot pressure as time goes on and I'm seeing more consistency in vehicle stability. Tonight I gave it about 60% throttle and the thing... HAULS ASS. The twin scroll turbo is absolutely brilliant, I feel like the cat-less downpipe really did wonders for it too. You can definitely tell this thing is light, my 420AWHP Evo X feels slow compared to it, just because it's so nimble.

I also went through in detail and updated my "mod list" on the first post, it's kind of out of control at this point. LOL. Updates soon, I'm hoping to drive this thing to work Friday! But we'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joebush44, TMF, Sjogun and 1 other person like this.
  27. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Lookin good brough

28. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Just one question... what's up with the bug deflector on such a killer car? :shifty:

Tuning, tell us more...

29. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Maybe rock chip protection?

30. EricS

EricS Nooberator

I know Curry, just seems like braces on a hot chick :)

31. DoughtCom

You guys don't like bug deflectors?! I happen to think it adds some hawtness, but I guess to each his own. The main thing was rock chips though. Someone on facebook already pointed out it kind of negates the purpose of a hood scoop, I tend to agree.

I think it will look better once the car is painted it's lighter color.

[​IMG]

Ntxhuav_Khang and EricS like this.
  32. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

What a dick...

I don't think it looks bad, but I think the contrasting colors on the white car looks a lot better. If the bug shield is the only thing I have to unbolt when you sell this to me for 1/10th it's value, I won't complain (too much).

33. DoughtCom

Haha, it's only two bolts, so that's the good news!

34. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

TWO BOLTS!? alright, 1/20th the value it is...

This car makes me excited for the world, we need more clean GCs.

DoughtCom and EricS like this.
  35. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Sorry Curry, this cold must be making me even more of a dick than usual today :)

36. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Alright it's grown on me, sorry for being a dick DC! I think I just had a gut reaction from being used to seeing them on cars/trucks that are "accessorized" with every single part available from the PeP Reilly's aftermarket aisle :p

37. wiggle_puppy

wiggle_puppy Member

This could not have possibly gone to a better home. I lost money selling the car but I'm strangely happy about it. Amazing build. I wish I would have had the dedication to un-hack it.

mke723 and EricS like this.
  38. DoughtCom

Thanks wiggle_puppy! That actually means a lot, I tracked down the original owner and let him know it was in good hands as well. I grow emotionally attached to my cars so I try to make previous owners happy to know it's in good hands.

Eric it's all good, I understand different people have different taste! We'll see, I might not like it all said and done either. I put on the yellow fogs, for instance, and was like... "OMG what have I done?!" I guess I didn't post that pic here.

My radiator FINALLY comes today, so I didn't get to drive it to work, which would have been a good alternative to driving my Summer tire prepped Evo X with the possible snow this afternoon. I'll be 100% finishing the project build this weekend and will take final pictures of the engine bay, interior, etc before getting it tuned/tinted/aligned/painted.

I've also reached out to Erik Blume Photography (the man is incredible with a camera) for a photoshoot, but I fear it may be too late in the year for that, we'll see! And I have one more big surprise in store, but I'm waiting to hear confirmation.

39. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

My Bugeye was on the Carberry ROM when it ran 10's. :)

40. DoughtCom

Yeah... I think I'm actually going to stay away. :( Tuning a Speed Density car for extreme cold and Summer on a daily driver is somewhat of a PITA. I was hoping the SD was just an option and not a requirement.

41. EricS

EricS Nooberator

The JDM ECU/ROM gives your tuner a more sophisticated boost algorithm setup (same as 06+ USDM) instead of the more limited 02-05 USDM setup, which is nice :)

42. EricS

EricS Nooberator

BTW do you ever sleep? Or are you just independently wealthy and so don't have to work... Because man do you work fast! :thumbup:

43. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Also, what ever happened to "Sarah"? And what are you doing with that caged car? :coffee:

44. DoughtCom

That's interesting, I'm trying to learn what my ECU does that a USDM doesn't. I do not sleep :) There was a few nights where I couldn't sleep because of this project.

The caged car will be my track car next year. It has 06 STi suspension/knuckles/brakes/etc. It's pretty much complete, will need a few other small things.

I crashed Sarah on my 30th and golden birthday on a mitsustyle cruise a few years back. Shortly after that the ringland on cyl #4 cracked (imagine that) so I pulled the entire thing apart and gave the chassis away (coincidently) to the guys that built my cage.

This was the car today, put about 80 miles on it. Got all the CEL's worked out and the car is pretty much 100% complete. I like how the aluminum radiator looks through the grill.

[​IMG]

EricS likes this.
  45. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

She's a beauty! Do you have a way to see your afr's? I've read the jdm tunes are very aggressive, and do not like US pump gas. Maybe that's just on the older ones though. Superfun!