Any Southeast / Rochester peeps?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by rskm1, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHATsuby

PHATsuby Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by j0hnniz

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rskm1

Hi all, I'm a recent Suby owner (a riced-up electron blue 00 RS coupe).
    Wondering if anybody else from Rochester is on here...

I've seen a BRP 00-01 RS coupe on the Clements Chev lot; I tried to buy it from them but it was just in for repairs.
    I also spotted a silver 00-01 RS coupe driven by a tall brunette. (didn't get a good look; too busy checking out the car! ;) )

There's a customized rally-blue 04-05 I saw (and heard!) once too. (sweet wing!)

The Impreza is a surprisingly rare car around here, considering the fact that you can't even SPIT without hitting an Outback.

Anyways, if anybody else from Rochester is on here, say howdy!
    And if you've got a GC and need stock replacement parts, the previous owner of mine included most of them, and they're just sitting around in my garage. (brake rotors, taillights, wings, complete exhaust, complete intake)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i know someone from rochester. his name is dan. lol. that's all i know. he trained with me in downtown for our new job, they paid for his hotel and allowance and lunch. hes a cool guy. his name is dan and works in the rochester wells fargo (he said there is only one).

....does he have a subaru or are you just saying you know a person here?

Ben

2. 1SIKWRX

1SIKWRX New Member

i just know smeone..lolz.

3. beeloo

beeloo New Member

got my Kartboy short shifter w/ bushings in the mail yesterday. Cannot wait for the weekend to arrive.

BTW... read some horror stories on the bushings.. would i need your help Ben/Brad/Steve.. or should i give it a shot myself?

4. Steve in Minnesota

Steve in Minnesota Well-Known Member

Beeloo

I would be glad to help with the kartboy install. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the old bushings off. The rest of it was a piece of cake.

Brad

Did you clear your headlights yet? If not I think we should see if we could gather some interest in a group-bake. :)

All

Name the time and place for the install day or we can talk about it on Saturday.

Steve

5. staff829

staff829 Guest

Hey everybody, first time poster here. Know a few people though, Steveo with the wagon(what's up dude!?), Beeloo I met at Cinemagic and told me to check out this site. And a Brent who has my old '99 2.5 baby that I sold ---sniff :^( ---- But I bought a wingless 04 wrx Labor Day Weekend. Had to get a 4 door, just had a kid! Anyways....I guess there is a rochester meet at the Chataue (sp?) movie theater on sat at 5:30? Told beeloo that I could make it - but have some friends from out of town coming now - I will try and come over for a bit though. Anybody do rallycrosses???? I put one on in Rochester in Feb through SCCA. There is one up in the cities 2nd Sunday in June. I maybe going to an autocross over by Worthington though. But I can get anybody who is intrested more info on it. Well gotta jam - hope to see some of ya Sat!

Matt

6. kwikrs

kwikrs New Member

hey matt, hows the kid doing? I was gunna come on sat but now i gotta work until 7, so I will have to catch you all at another one. I keep seeing a few of you around town too, but I have been driving my wifes maxima since we are trying to sell it.

7. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

I think this needs to be a sticky.

8. beeloo

beeloo New Member

^^^^Agreed^^^^

Nice to see that you showed up Matt!

Some of us are planning to get there by 5:30 and im sure that we will be there till 7 or more. So you can swing by to see if we are there (same for you kwikrs).

9. Steve in Minnesota

Sticky! Sticky! Sticky! We want a Sticky! :D:D:D

10. staff829

staff829 Guest

Yeah - I'll swing by for a bit. Wish I could come for the whole thing. But I'll stay for a half hour atleast. Yeah I think taking a parade drive would be cool. Maybe that road from Zumbro Falls to Wabasha. 61? I think? That's a sweet road! Yeah - I called Kwikrs tonight and left a message and told him to leave work early if he can or swing by right after. Figure people will hang till 7:30....?
    Ok - I'm new at posts, I've heard the term sticky before...but remind me....??
    Would any one be intreseted in learning more about rallycrosses? Would it be kosher if I posted the event details here or should I just bring some handout for the 28th. I'm not getting money by speading the word, just think alot of people here would like to find out more about it. It's really more for fun. There are year-end prizes and sometimes prizes at events if the rallymaster could scounge up money. It's more for the fun of driving your car all out on a twisty course set up by pylon cones. Basicly it's just like an autocross on gravel or dirt. This one will be on gravel at the Hennepin county fairgrounds. $30 for non SCCA members.
    Hope to see ya'll Sat!

Matt

11. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by staff829
    I'm new at posts, I've heard the term sticky before...but remind me....??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    "Sticky" forces a thread to show up at the top of the thread lists even if there *weren't* any recent replies added to it (normal "unsticky" threads show up chronologically based on most recent reply).

If anything turns sticky, I think it should be the other thread under "Event Discussion":
    http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2301

It's sort of like the Firestone thread (a repeated ongoing event up in the metro area), except in Rochester.
    ...assuming we keep getting together on a regular basis, that is ;)

12. Steve in Minnesota

Rob

I agree with your point on which topic to sticky! Who's butt do we have to kiss to make it happen! :D

I would really like to see this continue to grow. As good of turnout as we had last time....we should rock this Saturday (unless the weather $ucks!)

I'm just wondering if maybe we shouldn't think about trying Sunday night instead. It seems like people (besides me) have a social life and have stuff going on on Saturday. That way people could go up to Firestone on Friday or Saturday or do what ever it is that people with social lives do on the weekend. :D We should talk about it on Saturday.

Steve B

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rskm1

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by staff829
    I'm new at posts, I've heard the term sticky before...but remind me....??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    "Sticky" forces a thread to show up at the top of the thread lists even if there *weren't* any recent replies added to it (normal "unsticky" threads show up chronologically based on most recent reply).

If anything turns sticky, I think it should be the other thread under "Event Discussion":
    http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2301

It's sort of like the Firestone thread (a repeated ongoing event up in the metro area), except in Rochester.
    ...assuming we keep getting together on a regular basis, that is ;)

13. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Steve in Minnesota

I would really like to see this continue to grow. As good of turnout as we had last time....we should rock this Saturday (unless the weather $ucks!)

I'm just wondering if maybe we shouldn't think about trying Sunday night instead. It seems like people (besides me) have a social life and have stuff going on on Saturday. That way people could go up to Firestone on Friday or Saturday or do what ever it is that people with social lives do on the weekend. :D We should talk about it on Saturday.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yeah, my attendance will be very intermittent for anything on Fridays & Saturdays, so if we evolve this into a regular "monthly" thing, my vote would be for anything Sunday thru Thursday, any time in the 6-8pm-ish range.

(Hmm, there's no way to set up a "poll topic" here... we could start a thread on RS25.com's Regional/Midwest forum, but most of you WRX guys probably don't follow those forums. Shrug, or just post your time/day preferences here.)

14. LeiboSTi

LeiboSTi Well-Known Member

Did you guys meet last night? I decided to stay home since I spent about 6 hours of my day working on the car. I hope the meet went off as planned, I would hate to see our little Rochester branch of mnsubaru fizzle after only one meet.

15. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

There were four of us plus Bob in the Evo showed up as we were getting ready to take off at 6:30. Myself in my '04 Silver Wagon (Cool Steve) :D , Lame Steve :D in his Silver '04 Wagon with extremly cool custom sub and amp install, Nabil in his siver bugeye with Kartboy short-throw sitting on the passenger seat, and Matt with his '04 or '05 blue WRX sedan with info on a Rallycross in the cities. I got there a little after 5:00 because some folks said they were going to come earlier due to other commitments. We stayed until 6:30 and then my wife came down and we saw Star Wars at 7:00

I think that the combination of a holiday weekend, the rain and the fact that it was Saturday night were contributing factors to the lower turn-out than the previous gathering.

I would like to see what the response is to switching this to Sunday night like around 5:00 or 6:00. I think it would be less likely to interfere with people's other activities and family events.

I am having a great time with this and the install gathering at your home as well. I would very much like to see it continue and grow.

Steve B

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LeiboSTi

Did you guys meet last night? I decided to stay home since I spent about 6 hours of my day working on the car. I hope the meet went off as planned, I would hate to see our little Rochester branch of mnsubaru fizzle after only one meet.

16. LeiboSTi

Steve, I agree completely. I bet we have better turnout next weekend. I would be in favor of a switch to earlier (perhaps 5:00). Saturday or Sunday work well. Glad to hear that at least some showed up. We should get together to install Nabil's SS soon.
    Brad

17. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

Like I said on the phone we're doing Nabil's short shifter today at 2:00 at my place.

I ordered some goodies this morning though that I could use your assistance on if your interested/willing. I'm being a complete copy-cat and order a Crank Pully (Perrin..I didn't want to completely copy you:cool:), and the GP Moto elbow as well as camber bolts for the rear. I probably won't do the camber bolts until I get ready to do lowering springs which will probably be in the next month or so.

Oakos showed the parts all in stock so they should be here this week if the UPS man is good to me.

Steve B.

18. PHATsuby

I showed up last night at 6:30, too bad you left steve i had your vice grip you left at Brad's, but I gave them to Nabil so you should get them:)

good luck with the install.

Ben

19. Steve in Minnesota

Ben

The shifter install when great. It's really pretty easy. The shifter bushings gave us a little bit of a fight getting the old ones out. Just like when I did mine. We went out for a ride after we were done. I think he was pretty pleased with the change. It makes a pretty big difference.

Thanks for getting the vice grips back to me. I knew I had left them. I figured you guys might need them and that I would get them back.

Steve B

20. Herger

Herger Active Member

It was fun meeting with you guys (those who showed up that is, AHEM). Finally got to see an Evo up close. Now I'm wanting a Kart Boy shifter (d4mn you Nabil :D). Looks like I need a turbo back and swaybars as well (d4mn you Steve :D). Looking forward to the next meet. Later--steve

21. LeiboSTi

this is awesome, I am glad we are getting the locals organized - thanks for that Steve. It looks like one consequence is that this is going to result in all of us doing many more mods:D

That is good IMO (not sure my wife would agree)

Looking forward to meeting the new folks next week.

22. staff829

staff829 Guest

Hope it's ok that I post this here my Rochester brothas!
    I was at the meet Saturday and handed out info to a few there. Not too many there so thought I'd post this here. You can call ma if you have any Qs too 507-358-3283. Sounds like Beeloo is gonna go with me. Anyways, hope i don't tick anyone off by putting this here, it's gonna be great time!

The second event of the 2005 LOL RallyCross series will be held on
    Sunday 6/12/03 at the Corcoran Lion's Park in Corcroan MN (corner of
    Hwy 101 and County Rd 10).

Here's a few early details for you:

-Expect similar event logictics to what was run last time (feel free
    to make suggestions for changes). I'm still trying to think of new
    ways to get more runs in when doing events with lots of cars. I'm
    considering doing 4 runs (2 sets) in a row before the worker change:

-You will be required to sign up for a work station at the time of
    registration. The jobs are first come first served basis, so e-mail
    me ([email protected]) before the event if you want one of the best
    jobs like watering, registration, spectator marshal, scoring, start
    marshal, etc.

-Earlier-than-normal start time to maximize number of runs
    -Registration 9:00-10:30
    -Tech 9:00-10:45
    -Drivers meeting 11:00
    -Timed runs 11:30 - ~4:00
    -Trophies ~5:00

-Long course that is groomed and watered

-Run order based on car number (to maximize fairness). All members
    of of a claass will run in the same group. Course direction may be
    reversed at midday break.

Other notes:

-Cost: $25 SCCA members, $30 for non-members, (spectating is free).

-This is a this premium venue, please continue to be on your best
    behavior so we are welcomed back for more.

-Food and fuel are less than 2 miles west of the park on County 10.

-Grandstand and shaded hillside seating offers pleasent elevated
    view of the track for friends and family. Dust-free parking area.

-Track surface is a mix of hard packed clay, black dirt, and pea
    gravel. Should not be a "car breaker".

-Per the rules for 2005, your best run from each set will be added
    together to determine your final score. If I clump 4 runs together,
    we'll count 2 of the four.

23. Steve in Minnesota

Steve

We put Nabil's shifter and bushings in yesterday at my place. You'll have to ask him what he thinks. If you like you can drive my car and see for yourself.

Steve B.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Herger

It was fun meeting with you guys (those who showed up that is, AHEM). Finally got to see an Evo up close. Now I'm wanting a Kart Boy shifter (d4mn you Nabil :D). Looks like I need a turbo back and swaybars as well (d4mn you Steve :D). Looking forward to the next meet. Later--steve

24. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was getting myself some waterpark action in Wis. Dells.

Thanks for helping me with the install (steve).

Herger, Kartboy SS is not a hard install at all. It took us a while to take the old bushings out, otherwise everything else was cake. If I were to do this again, it would go quicker as I learned some things:

- You wanna cut the hell out of the old bushing and then push it with the stock rod (the one where the bushing slides on)
    - Wanna wear glasses unless you like crap falling into your eyes
    - Have an extra pair of hands for tools/light/beer
    - Tools: Ramps/12mm wrench/flashlight/knife/glasses/flat head screw driver/go go girls

Again, if it were'nt for Steve it would have taken me all day.

Now to the feel of the car: It is a whole new car! Shifting is accurate and not spongy. It is obviously short and helps during those quick shifts :eek:). I would definitely recommend this to people that look for value when they mod.

Brad,
    Congrats with the installs! How much difference do you see with the Pulley? Read that it is not an underdrive, so it is just light? Can you feel the difference?

25. LeiboSTi

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by beeloo

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was getting myself some waterpark action in Wis. Dells.

Thanks for helping me with the install (steve).

Herger, Kartboy SS is not a hard install at all. It took us a while to take the old bushings out, otherwise everything else was cake. If I were to do this again, it would go quicker as I learned some things:

- You wanna cut the hell out of the old bushing and then push it with the stock rod (the one where the bushing slides on)
    - Wanna wear glasses unless you like crap falling into your eyes
    - Have an extra pair of hands for tools/light/beer
    - Tools: Ramps/12mm wrench/flashlight/knife/glasses/flat head screw driver/go go girls

Again, if it were'nt for Steve it would have taken me all day.

Now to the feel of the car: It is a whole new car! Shifting is accurate and not spongy. It is obviously short and helps during those quick shifts :eek:). I would definitely recommend this to people that look for value when they mod.

Brad,
    Congrats with the installs! How much difference do you see with the Pulley? Read that it is not an underdrive, so it is just light? Can you feel the difference?

Nabil, glad to hear that you now shift like a pro! The pulley is stock size, but the old one feels like it is made of lead versus the new one. I have not yet weighed the old one, but I suspect it is at least 5 lbs heavier. Assuming that the silencer delete did nothing to change the feel of the car then the pulley had a real effect. The first few times I drove after, I kept hitting the rev-limiter in 1st gear because it came MUCH quicker. The throtle response feels better throughout, but most noticable in 1st gear and when rev-matching on downshifts. In terms of power, subjectively it feels faster, but I suspect there is some major placebo effect going on there. Overall, easy mod (that one I think even I could do on my own) that is pretty cheap, minimal known bad effects, and better throttle response.

I wonder if the throttle response would be even better in the WRX (without the drive-by-wire throttle).

26. Steve in Minnesota

If anyone is bored this weekend....my Perrin crank pully and silencer delete elbow came yesterday.

I think we're going up to the cities on Saturday so I will probably install on Sunday sometime.

If anyone is interested in helping/spectating/drinking my coffee...let me know. I believe for the pulley install I do need someone who meets the following qualification.....must be able to step on the brake pedal. :D

I have to find a 22mm - 3/8" drive socket on the way home. If I don't I might be hosed...but can probably fine one.

Steve B

27. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

UPCOMING CAR SHOWS (Rochester area)

6/5(Sun) @ Olmsted Cty Fairgrounds.
    No details that I could find, just saw it posted on the fairgrounds billboard yesterday.

6/26(Sun) @ Olmsted Cty Fairgrounds.
    Valley Street Machines 23rd Annual Show.
    http://store1.yimg.com/I/autoswalk_1845_1457445

28. Herger

Herger Active Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Steve in Minnesota

If anyone is bored this weekend....my Perrin crank pully and silencer delete elbow came yesterday.

I think we're going up to the cities on Saturday so I will probably install on Sunday sometime.

If anyone is interested in helping/spectating/drinking my coffee...let me know. I believe for the pulley install I do need someone who meets the following qualification.....must be able to step on the brake pedal. :D

I have to find a 22mm - 3/8" drive socket on the way home. If I don't I might be hosed...but can probably fine one.

Steve B

I may be able to step on the brake pedal for you. What time were you thinking?

29. LeiboSTi

Steve B

Sounds like fun, wish I could. We have company coming into town tonight. I hope I can still get away for the meet tomorrow night. I hope the install goes well!

30. Herger

Herger Active Member

I do have a 1/2" (socket) to 3/8" (wrench) adaptor if you need it Steve.

31. Steve in Minnesota

Steve with the silver wagon

I'm covered on the tools. I picked up a socket at Sears on Friday and have a wrench to go along with it. But I'm going to wait on the install anyway. I've got other stuff going on today too.

I will be there tonite at 5:00 though.

Signed,

The other Steve with the other silver wagon.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Herger

I do have a 1/2" (socket) to 3/8" (wrench) adaptor if you need it Steve.

32. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

So far this sway bar installation sucks. i'll update again once i get it done. and tell ya'll my problems...:(!

pat

33. Herger

Herger Active Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pbedroske

So far this sway bar installation sucks. i'll update again once i get it done. and tell ya'll my problems...:(!

pat

If you're still working on it tomorrow afternoon, I could watch, give emotional support and drink beer while you install it.

34. pbedroske

ah yes, it is installed. i was busy with my girlfriend since getting it done. unfortunately i have the "thunk-thunk" sound when going over some bumps or making some turns. I've researched some solutions on this and hopefully will get this solved tomorrow.

Install wasn't as much of a problem as the disassembly. One bolt in perticular on the mounting bracket underneath, behind, and buried on the wrong side of the fuel tank filler thing. I didn't have a 12mm so i had to carefully use a 1/2" wrench to slowly and painstakingly turn it because i could not get a socket on it or turn it with my fingers. Getting it back on was equally as taxing. infact, i haven't fully bolted on the charcoal canister because of this.

Getting the old swaybar out was fun also. turning and twisting it every which way. taking the exhaust of the hangers, and finally sliding it out the rear of the car.

Getting everything together wasn't too bad. Greasy, but not bad. Unfortunately i have that thunk/klunk sound to deal with.

ok i'm done. give me a beer!}:)

I haven't really been able to try it out yet. would really like to go on a drive... Sunday anyone???

35. pbedroske

36. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, been on NASIOC for a while under the same name. It's nice to see a lot of local Subie owners.

I'm from the Rochester area, about 10 miles north near Oronoco. I've got a deep blue Forester with tanish gold molding. As far as I'm aware, I'm one of two that look like that around town...that I've seen. If it's caked with dirt, it's probably mine, lol. Gravel roads do that to ya.

I'm just saying hi to all my Rochester and surrounding area neighbors.

I haven't read through the 9 pages yet... :roll: , just wanted to say hi first.

37. JBark

JBark New Member

Add me to the list of subaru owners around Rochester. Or at least a saabaru owner. :)

Picked up my Saab 9-2x Aero in TX last Friday, pretty much got the last manual transmission 9-2x Aero left in the country. My daily drive on CR 1 from Spring Valley to Rochester just got a heck of a lot more fun. :) I'd always wanted a WRX wagon, and the 9-2x Aero for 20k was too good of a deal to pass up.

38. pbedroske

JBark and Back Road Runner, WELCOME!!!

this thread has been rather dostle as of late. most of our recent posts are in this thread http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2301. feel free to offer your input because our attendace has been lacking, maybe we need more participants!

pat

39. Donkeypunch

Donkeypunch Guest

Well as far as trying to get stuff going. I am going to be home in Red Wing from CT where I live now on or about the 1st. I am looking at going up to Rock Falls Raceway on the 8th I think to see what WI (water injection, not Wisconsin) :lol: does for my 1/4 mile time. This will be the first time down the track, hoping for low 13's to high twelves. Anyone interested in going up to the track that night? Otherwise, a meet, or any garage days from the 1st to the 13th/14th I would be willing to lend any expertise to.

DP

40. PHATsuby

I will be back this weekend pulling off all my turbo stuff, if I get it all together in time we should do a meet. I will show up either way, but hopefully in my car. haha.

Ben

41. beeloo

beeloo New Member

42. xkontour98

xkontour98 Guest

Hey all I'm new to Rochester, originally from Stillwater and attended college in Winona. Here is a link to my intro:

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53568#53568

Hope to see some you all around town. I have several friends with WRX's and STi's in the cities, a coworker referred me to the site!

43. Steve in Minnesota

Welcome

Check out this thread in the Events section it's more active than this one.

http://www.mnsubaruclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2301

We have occasional Rochester meets and get to gether to do installs and hope to do some more drives in the spring.

Steve

44. xkontour98

xkontour98 Guest

Thanks Ill keep an eye on it. Hope to make a meet sometime!

45. SubarWRX

SubarWRX New Member

know of any good places to drive when it snows there in Roch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.