Anyone else gotten a rock stuck in their brakes?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Woot, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

I got a rock jammed in the brakes somehow Sunday night on my 2011 wrx, the car sounded like absolute death and I ended up ditching it at Morries Hyundai on 394 since I had no clue what was going on with it. Got the car towed to Subaru the next morning and they told me that it happens and they had seen it before. Just curious if this is common or has happened to anyone else. Perhaps there is an easy way to prevent it in the future.

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

yup, has happened to me.
    this song is for you:

Woot likes this.
  3. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

It happened to me once. Made the most terrible wailing banshee screeching sound.

4. bo0stmuch

bo0stmuch Member

Yeah! it happen to me one time when i was going through mcdonalds drive thru! It was embarassing. Just drive fast and it'll fly out. :frantic:

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yeah happened a few times. Not much you can do. I suppose you could run a different wheel with more clearance to the caliper. Or I suppose you could remove the dust shields.

Or just deal with it if it happens again. At least now you know what to look/listen for.

6. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

Ya I thought the entire front suspension had just blown up or something it was the most horrific sound and since it was 10pm and about 15 degrees out I just ditched it instead of trying to figure it out. Nice to find out that in order to fix it in the future the answer is just drive fast :)

7. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

sounds like my other car when rain water would hit exhaust and push exhaust up into prop shaft. Wailing banshee was how to find the thread for a while on swedespeed. Nothing an exhaust mod wouldn't fix but the first time it happens though....:eek:....followed by is that my car?:oops:

8. paragonbiker

paragonbiker Member

Yep, I was teaching a friend how to drive stick at the time. It was on a gravel road (easier on the car when they let the clutch out and rev the piss out of it) and she heard the squeal and thought she killed my car. Told her it was fine but she didn't want to drive anymore :rolleyes:

9. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I had this happen multiple times at DCTC. Usually I could get it free by poking at the dust shield (watch out, will be hot), but some of them stuck in there for quite a while.

10. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Yep, I had that done once when a rock got stuck between my brembos and the bbs. I made a horrible sound and felt like the brakes was locked up. The vehicle would not move without force(put in gear).

11. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I had this happen to me once back in college...used it as an excuse not to go to class :)

12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

You needed an excuse? I usually had anywhere from a six pack to a case of excuses

tangledupinblu likes this.
  13. jcn

jcn Active Member

Standard trick is to drive backwards and hit the brakes. Usually works to dislodge the rock.

14. jcn

jcn Active Member

Would that be a "crave case" full of excuses? :D

15. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Driving in reverse and hitting the brake will work most of the time. I had one that the asphalt stuck it to the heat shield. I had to pull the rotor to get it out. I get them all the time autocrossing at Canterbury.

Sup Charles :)

jcn likes this.
  16. JACKRBT

JACKRBT Well-Known Member

Had it happen to me too after driving on some fresh pea rock (hate that crap with a passion). Same horrible screeching sound you all describe. Got into my garage and just rocked the car back and forth by hand and the little rock just dropped out of the brakes into the wheel. I figured I had to be the most unlucky person in the world at that time. Interesting to see it's not that uncommon. I sure had never heard of it happening before that.

17. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I've had it happen multiple times(usually at RallyX). And 95% of the time, throwing the car in reverse and backing up will unlodge it.

jles likes this.
  18. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

Yep, it happens at least once a rally. As others have pointed out, backing up a bit usually starts the dislodging process.

19. jcn

jcn Active Member

;) Whadup, Glen! See ya tomorrow night. Still loving the WRX. Hunting down the rattles and squeaks... one by one.... but tons of fun.

20. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Quite a few times. Screeeeeeeech! Fun stuff. I haven't lived on a gravel road for a while though, so the occurrence is vastly more rare now.