Anyone into Fishes? Aquariums? as a Hobby...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sogonerg, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Well-Known Member

fission makes good skimmers

2. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

we shall see...;) As I said...can't beat that price!

Current USA lights are crap...but we shall see the rest of the product line...

3. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

well i think i decided to get my tank going again...damn it!

4. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Should be fun...I actually like cleaning up my tanks...lol My wife said, she wishes that I treat our home the same way..haha

5. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Do you have lights or cutting a sky light through the house? lol

Is the TCMAS forum still at the reeftank? Seems dead and I thought I remember something about them moving about a year ago.

Anyone who needs rock. I have 20lbs dead base rock and probably another 25lbs that have been "cooking" for 2 years. Pretty nice shapes.

6. Skarecrow

i've had a ton of experiance with fission... the only thing that sucks from them is the nano skimmer they tried to make...

pos...

7. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Hey Matt, are the base rocks fuji rocks? If so, I'll tak'em...how much $$$ are ya looking for? So I guess u have a total of 45 lbs?...well actually if u got 25 lbs of LR curing...it may not work for me...just base..My tank won't be ready for another month or so...I'll be aquascaping with a mix of Eco rox, base rocks, and my own project LR...should be interesting...

8. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Glad to hear...Fission is working well...I'm starting to be a bit more trust worthy of the product...;)

9. Skarecrow

the big units work wonderfull... the only thing I noticed is they like build up salt deposits in the airtube... so give it a good flick and a purge now and again and your in the clear.

I kinda think thats with most skimmers tho.

10. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

yup..they are all pretty much the same way...I usually take it out and clean every 1-2 months...It's just hard for me to spend $500+ on high end skimmer when my $160 will do the job...

11. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

I already have one hamilton tech 250 and I'll be getting another one. But it looks like the tank is a 75, so the price will be drastically cut because I won't need the crazy high flow stuff.

By the way, what do you guys think of the tunze wavebox thingy? I might just go with one of those for in tank flow and then just do a mild return back from the fuge.

12. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Word, I just got rid of Hamilton 14k 250w HQI. Too bad I didn't know or else I could have dumped it on you. I also had ASM G1X that probably would have been perfect for your 75g also! lol

The wavebox is a solid product as are most products made by Tunze. Tunze Streams:yumyum:

13. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I'm actually considering this...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...hallpartial&Ntk=All&N=2004&Ntt=wavemaker&Np=1
    Ocean pulse wave + Koralia 4 for my 180g

cheaper and effective for the $$$

14. Skarecrow

check out interior garden and supply in mpls...
    I setup the 1000 gal system they have or had there... havn't been there in almost a year... I went to another job and some el douche thought he could do a better job taking care of the tank..

anyways... pumps, timers and lights can be bought there at the uber cheap.

15. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Dude, hehe I have no idea what it is anymore! I've had this rock for 6 years. It's a bit of everything, Fiji, Tonga and Marshall. I'll try to snap some pictures of it for you. As far as the cooking rock. It will be fine for a new tank. It's just been sitting in a IO bucket full of SW and a small ph. I used to change the water more frequently. But now I mainly just keep the level up. You could pick it up when you need it.

I'd really have to weigh what I all have to be sure... But I'd let it go for $1.50lb. You can come over and looksy, if you like, you can buy. If not, no worries.

If you want LR, I know David Gregor has pimped www.premiumaquatics.com because you can still use ground since they are located in IN. So ground only takes 2 days shipping. I've never bought LR, but I bought chem's and hardware. I buy most everything from them do to them being close. They will also price match any other website. FYI

16. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I've been meaning to go there...where are they located??? I need to get a hanging kit for my lights..

17. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Usually I'd like to know what I'm getting for a LR...I'm 95% on getting the Eco rocks (Fuji) from Ryan @ twopartsolution.com for $2.50 lbs. can't beat that...I have some base homemade aragonite LR at home, so I'll probably use both of them...

Thanks for the buzz Matt...

18. Skarecrow

oh mang... I can see the addy in my head.
    I would have to look it up again.

but any one of the girls working there... :)
    should be able to take care of ya... or brett (owner)

I need to make a stop in to see if that guy butchered that tank, or if it's still up and pretty.

19. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

cool..LMK on the addy...I wonder if anyone has an idea of hanging a light fixture without using the ceiling...Kinda like a standing metal light post or something....

20. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

I may be selling my 55 gal with lots of cichlids and 2 synodontis in it and a stand included. I also have a 25 gallon that is full of young yellow lab cichlids. That whole tank may be for sale (tank included) and my whole 30 Gallon with fish. Those include 4 convict cichlids, 1 firemouth, one synodontis, a gourami, a raphiael cat, a pictus one line cat, and some rare fish I forgot the name on. I also have a few big boxes of random fishtank parts and accessories that will be for sale. I dont want to loose my house and money is really tight right now so I will have to sell what I can. I will post pictures later!

21. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

sorry to hear Scooby...I hope things get better, with all those tank setup...you'll save on electric and water bill for sure...well a little bit...but everything counts...GL on the sale...

Save on space too...

22. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Yeah it will save on water and some electric. I Like my 55 setup a lot but I gotta do what I gotta do.
    I will post prices with pictures You get all the fishes that are in each tank

23. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Dang, I should either put a zoa tank together with my 20l or 40b. All this reef talk has got me interested again.

Ah but all the work, bleh...

Nobody answered my question, where is the new TCMAS forum?

24. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah nevermind. I just looked on tcmas.org

25. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

scooby02....pmed me about the fishes.... negotiation business

26. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Matt, start one up and I'll frag ya some zoos once I'm all settled...I believe local members are sell'in a few for $5 ea. *cheap*just not the acan lords ;) lol

:roll:

u already got all the stuff u need...I have some stuff here too if u need a few parts...*trade* I got my new equipment com'in...hopefully soon...Gett'in an R/O + deionzer next week from the guy that sells *reefchili* Ryan

27. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know and I will definitely take you up on some frags! But I have a few friends on TCMAS that owe me favors and some connections;)

I have most of what I'd need. The only major thing would be another RO/DI, I gave my old one to a buddy. Who isn't currently using it. But he did just pick up my MH and skimmer... So I dunno how much luck I'd have taking it back!

Otherwise, I will use my VHOs, pumps I already have, have the tanks and just need to build a stand. I could use my old rock, heater and maybe my Remora. But I'd rather sell it and buy another ASM G1. But, it sure is nice not having to worry about cleaning and taking care of this stuff!

28. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

update:

dam...just spent some $$$ on supplies and setups..Got good deals @ Marinedepot...FosterSmith watch out, you not the cheapest anymore...

- Reeftek Calcium reactor *upflow* with Ehiem pump
    - Fission Recirculating Skimmer
    - Aqua medic heater and controller
    - Kent's Lugol *amazing stuff*
    - 2 maxi-jet 1200 PH
    - 1 Mag drive 1.5
    - 2 two little fishes phosban reactor (planning on add ferric oxide and carbon)
    - scraper kit
    - Mag cleaner *works great cleaning from outside the tank*
    - Marc Weiss Bacter booster
    - 2x Korlia 4 (1200gph) that sucker flows

tank came but had to refuse delivery...there was a chip in the glass..*sucks*

Still need...Sump tank

29. snbrd4evr

Pics!!! I love looking at new sweet fish stuff :yumyum:

30. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I just ordered them...2 days ago so I'll recieve them in the next 3-4 days...;)

The reektek might take 2 wks, they build them to order

Oh...I got some serious LED lights, of all places eBay (www.digikits.com, canada company)....72 in. with 54 LEDs..with dimmer action! Talk about a woody I just got them last night...I can start a club scene

31. snbrd4evr

Are you going to use them in your sump? Or on a timer so you can simulate sunrise and sunset?

32. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

timer...simulation deal like my old tank...250w MH 20k and 470 atinics...I love the BLue hew to it...makes the corals glow

P.S. and I still don't think u have a Subaru, Kelly...;)

33. snbrd4evr

bastard.

I'm going to bed, I'm not going to give you a date as to when it should be done, because I'll most likely run into another problem and then it won't be done until next year :(

34. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Picked up this LED puck light at menards last weekend, $12.99, but needs a 12V power supply.
    This thing is bright as hell, thought I might try it on one of my frog terrariums.
    I would estimate it is about 7-8000K, with a crappy CRI, but big bang for the buck/watt:
    [​IMG]

35. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Should work well in a sump of LR, that's pretty much what I'm planning on doing under my tank inside the stand...LEDs penatrate the water surface well, just not deep...16 in. or below should good. MH are still the best for the shimmer it gives. But again MH runs hot and eats my electricity bill for Lunch and Dinner buffets. Compared to LEDs, ordering a Wendy's $.99 salad.

36. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

ok so my dad sold my aquarium! :( IM SO MAD! no fishes for me.

37. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

sorry to hear...u can always checkout craigslist and buy back your tank? ;)

38. N1ceDrgn

N1ceDrgn New Member

snbrd4evr, you aren't still going to use an Aqua-C skimmer are you? I'd shop around and find a better unit. I've had one on my 125g since I set it up and I've never managed to get it working well. I've been shopping for a replacement unit, I'm probably going to talk with Bob? at Reef Mania, I got a cal reactor from him but haven't finished hooking it up yet. He makes really good stuff. He made a lot of the parts they / we use at Ocean Devotion.
    Sogonerg, I'd like to share with you to be careful with the LED's from digikits. I don't want to be a 'doom-sayer' but I used to use them myself on my 125g. They work fine for a little while but then LEDs started to fail. The people at Digikits are good about sending out replacement parts but I started to spend more time replacing LEDs than they actually worked.

39. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

good point!

40. Always Watching

Always Watching New Member

Yes... Yes I am!

I maintain a Tanganyika "Species" tank with a colony (about 20) Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a thirty gallon tank. I have "Holey Rock" from Texas (specialized limestone with holes), Aragonite susbstrate, and 15-20 green turbo snail shells for breeding used to landscape the tank.

I run a Eheim 2213, a Power Sweep 212 (Rotating Power head) 125gph pump, and a small Whisper HOB filter(s) for my filtration. It is heated with a 150w Ebo-Jager heater, and run two 20w standard aquarium lighthing florescent tubes for lighting.

I have had several broods since establishing my colony.

Glad to hear there are other aquarists here!

-------------------------------------------------------
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.”
    - James Douglas Morrison (1943-1971)

41. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^Welcome to MNSubaru aquatics, :biggrin: post a pic of your Cichlid tank...Haven't seen those types in a while...1 in. or less in size...Wow, those are small, but I'm sure they can fend for themselves with the big wigs...;)

42. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Just found a great site, if any of u are looking to get custom acrylics...I'm planning on ordering the 150 wet/dry trickle filter into a 25-29 gal sump tank with 40-50 lbs of base LR...and only for $65+$11 shipping...elsewhere these run about $150+

http://www.aquacrylics.com/aquarium_filters.htm

43. Skarecrow

tank was sold last night... someone had cash in hand and he needed it to go badly...

stand / tank / rock / live sand.. all went for 60 bucks.
    I was a little miffed at him.. but again.. when you need money.. I understand.

44. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

who? wha? sold...what kelly was looking at?

45. snbrd4evr

Are you serious? Tell him he just lost 40 bucks because I was more than willing to pay 100 for it :(