Anyone into Fishes? Aquariums? as a Hobby...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sogonerg, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Well-Known Member

I'm sorry bro, I told him that.. in fact was a little miffed at him about it.. but he needed his house payment and thought I wasn't serious or something...

not sure what really went through his head on that one.

I know a few other people with tanks tho...
    i'll check with my other buddy who has a 125 gal.. I know he wanted to upgrade to a different tank for his gigantic gold fish

2. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

I never had his phone number or anything, I was waiting for you to tell me where it was so I could go pick it up. Oh well, I waited too long, so long sweet tank :emo:

Time to start looking for another one :biggrin:

3. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Well-Known Member

::hug:: i'll find you a tank... I know of plenty...

what kinda size or price range are you looking into and I will dig something up.
    might even be able to swindle you a good new tank for low cost...
    ((friend is opening up a reptile store sometime this spring))

4. snbrd4evr

Aww... thanks for the hug :laugh:

I'm pretty all over the place, I know a smaller tank will cost less in the long run and that's important to me since I just spent like a bajillion dollars on my car and make next to nothing at the aquarium. So lets see here, the only fish I really really want to keep is a blue spotted or pearly headed jawfish. So the taller the tank the better. Do they make something like a tall 55 or something? I figured even if it's "decently" tall a 250 MH will penetrate to the bottom so I can do sps the whole way. Any thoughts people?

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^^My cousin Dan has a 40 gallon tall. I think it's a really good size for cost and upkeep.

It's not for sale, just refering to the 55 gal tall ?.:biggrin:

...And also. Would someone throw up a quick check list for what would be needed to start up a 40-50 gallon saltwater tank with liverock? And possibly a guesstimate on cost? Thanks in advance.

I have a 55gallon freshwater cichlid tank, but have no idea what it takes to build/operate a saltwater tank and the roomate is interested in starting one.

6. snbrd4evr

Do you have any pics? I've been cruising this website for tank ideas.

7. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I'm looking for a 29 gal. tank...using it for sump so something for cheap cheap...NO leaks lol

edit: I need 2- 29 gal. tank

8. tangledupinblu

I might be able to get them e-mailed to me. Possibly a little more info on where he got it too and what he paid? I'll let you know.

9. snbrd4evr

Awesome, thanks a ton!

10. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

i'm thinking selling my 55 gal...comes with 2 whisper filters some decors, stand and lights....any interested before i'm going to traded in?

11. snbrd4evr

Alright, lets see here. Price will really depend on what kind of coral you plan to keep. If you're just going to do a fish only with liverock (fowlr) it will be considerably cheaper because you just need crappy lights. If you plan on keeping coral, it will be much more. So what are your plans?

What kind of price are you looking to get for just the tank and stand, nothing else?

12. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

how much are you willing to spend?

13. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

how much are you willing to spend? tank, stand, lights, heater, and 2 filtrations....

14. snbrd4evr

I really don't need anything other than the tank and stand, I'm leaning towards 50 bucks or so?

15. tangledupinblu

HIS plans are a 40-70 gallon salt. He really prefers the saltwater fish over the freshwater. So I'm guessing he will want somewhere around 10 to 20 fish. He's not real big on the other sea creatures that grow/live on the rock/coral.

But one thing I know, he will need a semi-low maintenance set-up. I don't know which he needs for just a standard saltwater tank as far as LR or coral goes for the fact that I don't know exactly what he wants in there.

If I was doing it. I would want the 'peppermint shrimp'? I saw a few that were bright red and white and looked amazing! Also, I am a really big fan of the living creatures that bed in the rock/coral. Like so\/\/\/. What kind of stuff does a tank like this require? Is this 'thing' attached to LR or coral?

16. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

kelly I'm thinking about it.....

Daym josh is that your current saltwater setup..?

17. tangledupinblu

No T-Dawg, but if I get a saltwater tank. It WILL look like that! h0lla!

18. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

dat will be look tizzle 4 reezzle... yO baller 4 shizzle..... Check it out my future setups...its call the discus http://www.flickr.com/photos/horselatitudes/394726630/

19. tangledupinblu

20. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

ok josh we need to stop to gettho slang.... we kinda sound like we are in dope and trying selling crack on murderapolis ...lol

21. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

everyone went to the pet store at rogers right the exit of 101. The last time I went there they got tons of saltwater species...like the dinosaur crap look a like, muranes, shark dwarf, many corals and shizzle......

22. tangledupinblu

Internet Thugz. Lmao!:laugh:

23. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

straight up gangsta yO...

24. snbrd4evr

Cool, just keep me updated, and if you have pics, that would help, I really should have asked that before throwing a price out there. Ooops.

You could probably run some high output t-5's, so you're looking at around 100-150 bucks depending on the length of the tank.

Probably run a refugium below the tank in a old 20 long or something (20 bucks for the tank, then around 15 for some cut glass and glue to get it in there).

Then run maybe a mag 7 as the return, so... about 70 bucks

Some powerheads, maxi-jet 1200's usually work pretty well, get 2 of them at 20 a piece, 40 bucks.

Live sand, about 40 lbs, 40 bucks.

Live rock, 40-60 lbs at 4-5 bucks a lb, 200 bucks (could probably get it cheaper)

Then there's the random plumbing parts, overflow, fuge stuff... I'd say another 40-50 bucks.

Total... 565ish.

This site also includes a good idea of price when setting up a marine aquarium, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?N=2004&aid=1762

So nuff said, it adds up pretty rapidly. It can get significantly more expensive, I never included a skimmer, which might want to be added, that's another 100-200 on the cheap side. So one thing you might want to consider is going with an all in one deal and not have so many fish. Like this,
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+13976&pcatid=13976

25. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

10-20 fish for saltwater with only 40-70gal tank is overloading it...definately needs alot of LR and a very good filteration if you going to load that many fish

26. snbrd4evr

What about 10 green chromis's ;)

27. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

kelly go to the page 11 second pics....55 gal south american cichids

28. tangledupinblu

Soo, how many fisheys could be kept in a 40 and/or 70 gallon tank Ray?

And Kelly, Thanks for all the great info! My brother is into aquariums in both salt and freshwater.(He used to manage the fish department of a local store near him.) I'm sure he knows of some good places to get stuff for the set-up. He recommended Big Al's to me for little things like food and replacement parts for my Fluval 404 and I have had nothing bad to say about any of our transactions. Reasonable prices and quick delivery.

29. snbrd4evr

I'm not Ray, but it really depends on what fish. I might keep 1-2 tangs, maybe a pair of gobies, and 1-2 clowns. maybe.

30. snbrd4evr

Any pics of the whole setup, like tank and stand in one pic?

31. tangledupinblu

Haha, you are Kelly! I was responding to Rays post about the 10-20 being too many! Lol.

So, you're saying 4-6 fisheys in a 40?...Kelly.:biggrin:

32. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

i will get them soon

33. snbrd4evr

hahaha!!!! I know you were trying to get a response from Ray, I just answered it for him. Like I said, it really depends. There are certain fish that need more space, produce more waste, and so on. Some fish are smaller and do your tank good, like a 6-line wrasse (they eat a lot of pests in your tank), or gobies that sift your sand for ya, or blennies that will eat algae off your rocks. Most of these fish are small and you can have a couple of, but if you go with a big fish, only one or two and then they might not even have enough space to swim around when they get older.

34. tangledupinblu

Gotcha. I would have to do some serious research on the fish before I decided on that. I don't know which ones I would prefer.

Have you ever had or seen the 'peppermint shrimp' that I was talking about? I'm sure they are probably good at waste disposal?

35. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

might as well raise goldfishes...they got more color and look better ;)

2-3 in. size i'd say 4-5 tops...I'm over fishes, I just get the ones that benefits the tank, just like Kelly mentioned...Reefs are the sh*tz...

You wish u were me Kelly ;)...your are coming along my grasshoppa (ricebowl haircut) now we have to figure out a way to cut your knees off to really be asian...muahahaha

you answered for me!?!?! I guess I can agree to that :roll: Just make sure you don't mix agressive with peaceful ones...*clownfish* semi-agressive and territorial add them last...unless you have a big enough tank

36. tangledupinblu

I must come and check out your set-up sometime Ray. It sounds like you know your stuff.

Reef tanks sound cool.

37. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

sure...once I actually get my dam TANK! Had to return it because it was chipped during shipment...will see this Friday...Delivery is every Friday, so if they F'up again...it will be next friday after that lol...I just gathered all my filtration and toys ;)

experience is sometimes not a good thing...cost $$$ to experiment...lol resulted in dead corals and fishes...*Call PETA* haha

I've learned my lesson and learned that patience is key...and test test test again again and again

38. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Just came back from Twopartsolutions...Got my R/o unit with DI and ECo Rocks...Highly recommended...Great product and size...90lbs worth...I have 1 that's 28 lbs. by itself...huge and nice...I'll post pics up later

39. snbrd4evr

Yes, pics please :)

40. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Pics of *Eco Rox*

Big petis...I mean Pieces :biggrin: put a 12oz. can for comparison

41. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

the pics don't do it justice...looks 10x better in person...and way way bigger all that weighs about 90 lbs.

42. snbrd4evr

Nice, are you going to just use that or add some "real" live rock to seed it?

43. shorty5198

shorty5198 New Member

ah! i finaly got my nano cube set up. I used to have a 65 gallon reef which was sick until it leaked and ruined the ceiling lol. but yeah i just got a load of frags in my nano so i;ll post some pics up soon

44. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Nope...just wash and rinse well then let it cure on it's own, with some help from Sprial vital and some sand boosters...will take about 4-5 wks in the tank before I start adding corals...

Cool...Nano's are neat...Small but still is an eye catcher

45. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

1st atempt aquascaping

I still need about 100 lbs. of Rock but here is what I did so far...I want lots and lots of "Hidden Caves" so hopefully you'll see the design I'm going for...