Automatic wrxs

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 wrx with an automatic transmission. This is my first real experience with a Subaru that isn't 5mt or 6mt. I do have a grocery getterer with a CVT but not really a good comparison as it's also 10 years newer and NA. Took a bit to notice it and my wife actually noticed it before me but it seems really unresponsive going from a complete stop. I just thought that was just a boring automatic being a boring automatic, and maybe it is idk. I just need to know what a bone stock ej20 wrx with a 4eat should feel like. It feels fine once you're going but honestly it scares me a little. Only idea I have right now is to do idle re learn and hope that helps. Maybe someone test drove one of these when they were new and can share their experience.

Also I'm working on convincing my wife to let me keep both of the WRXs and making this "her" car. So a 5 speed swap might have to come later. Should I bother changing the at fluid on one of these?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

unresponsive as in throttle response, trans slipping (revs creeping but no movement), lurching forward... what's going on that is giving you pause?

Chux likes this.
  4. Butthau5

It feels fine but just really slow to get going. Doesn't do any thing weird. I guess throttle response is slow is the best way to put it. Like the car doesn't register for a few seconds that I've floored the pedal if I were to do that from a stop.

5. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Happens to me too. I've just chalked it up to a weird Subaru AT quirk. Zero slipping on a 220k trans and the fluid is changed regularly so I haven't been worried. It's been doing it for years. Tune hasn't affected it either.

6. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Also could just be turbo lag. The 2.0 is gutless down low.

7. Butthau5

Doing an idle relearn definitely seemed to help. Or maybe it's in my head.