?AWD dyno in area

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by LeiboSTi, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiboSTi

LeiboSTi Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I finally decided it was time to stop lurking and start posting.

Does anyone know a respectable tuner with a dyno in the area?

Thanks

2. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

RS Motorsports is the only one I know of so far. It's downtown on University next to checkers and across the street from Perkins.. Forgot the cross road. As far as someone to tune it, I would have someone from the forum like Russ to do it.

3. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

That pic looks like last season's AARRF event... Yea, RS Motors are the ones right in town that has the AWD dyno. I'm only 5 mins from them.

4. LeiboSTi

FuJi K - wow good eyes. That is exactly where that was. I was there for the first day only, had a great time. Hopefully AARRF will have some more events at DCTC as it is a lot closer for me.

OK now I know where to go for a dyno and who is the local hot tuner, how about suspension setup experts?

5. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Thank Jeromey, dont worry about Joel or me we are not offended that we cant tune.[xx(]

LeiboSTi what do you want from your suspension?

6. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Didn't AARRF go tits up? Or at least lose all the places that let them run events?

7. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

Didn't AARRF go tits up? Or at least lose all the places that let them run events?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

}:):D

8. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i heard that st. cloud is gone but not sure about dctc.

9. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LVT

i heard that st. cloud is gone but not sure about dctc.

Off Topic:
    AARRF as we speak may not be holding any event directly this coming year but may co-op with other organization to run event. They've lost access to St. Cloud, DCTC and other venue... but we'll see what the New Year brings.

Back On Topic:
    RS Motor is the only place in MN that has an AWD dyno that I'm aware of. As others has stated, it's right along University Ave and Plato across from the MidWay Shopping Ctr.

10. LeiboSTi

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Thank Jeromey, dont worry about Joel or me we are not offended that we cant tune.[xx(]

LeiboSTi what do you want from your suspension?

Well, I guess that is a good question that I don't have a good answer for. How about perfect track day car that is also a comfortable daily driver - impossible right? I guess I am looking for suggestions on coilover setups that I can still drive around town with my girls in car seats in the back, that will be comfortable if I have to drive 5 hours to the track, that my wife won't complain about, etc.

Thanks for the advice on AWD dynos. I will be needing this in the spring - I hope:D

11. bikerboy

most all of the coil overs are going to suck on the street. IMHO get some JDM spec-c strut and spring take offs and a rear sway bar with heavy duty mounts and you will have a ball.

12. PHATsuby

PHATsuby Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, good to see you post finally!

what's up your sleeve for the STi?;)

I am sure Russ, Matt and Joel could help you tune your car, but dont trust anyone at RS motorsports to tune it, they are clueless. Otherwise I am sure in the spring there will be another dyno day where Jorge from chicago comes to the cities to tune UTEC's, but that is assuming you are going to be using a UTEC. which engine management are you going with?

cant help you on suspension setups, especially those that have to be awesome on the track and daily driven;)

Ben

13. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I'm able to tell you how a good set would be like. But there has to be lots of track time or behind the wheel involved.

Equal spring rates front and rear helps the car rotate lots. Most of the coilover setups use smaller rates in the rear because of the weight that's back there opposed to the front.

Some stiffer coil springs and stiffer shocks along with stiff bars and reinforced brackets w/ solid endlinks would be the ultimate daily and track set up. The stiff rear bar makes up for the softer rear spring rate.

For me, I'd go either equal rates or 2k harder in the rear.

14. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

what about propulshun? dont they have a awd dyno, and isnt it 3 runs for 60 bills? i might do a before and after header dyno run

15. fuel

fuel New Member

I thing RS motors guys moved to Burnsville.They are somewhere on highway 13.

16. PHATsuby

propulshun is the shop in front of RS motorsports, supposedly they are separate. RS has the dyno, propulshun sells parts i guess.

Ben

17. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

RS also quoted me at $60 for 3 runs.

18. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

propulshun bought out that part of rs...they are also getting a new awd dyno in mid january. I was quoted 60 per pull. If we could get them to actually give 3 pulls for 60 that would be awesome.

19. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

They better give us three or they're gunna have me to deal with!

20. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, the current rs motor sports is moving its show and dyno someplace. I have heard about 1000000000000000 million different things. Last time I was on MNSportscompacts they were talking about where to move but nothing was final at that time. I wouldn't was my time with haveing them tune. Baseline pulls is ok, but I wouldn't trust them much past that. I have heard and been quoted many (many,many) different prices for dyno pulls. If you tell them that it is a awd pul, the price also goes up.

Russ

21. LeiboSTi

Thanks to all for the input. I just had to soften the rear ARB last night because it was too stiff with the snow tires on. I really am pretty happy with the suspension as is, it is a good comprimise for street and track, but could always be better;)

PHATsuby, how ya doing? Next for the car is K&N typhoon intake, or if these are still backordered when the Cobb intake is available, I might get the Cobb one. I can't decide between Vishnu turbo back and Xede versus Cobb turboback and Accessport/tuner. Change my mind daily, but now am leaning towards Cobb because the Accessport so easy and they have multiple maps for download that are constantly updated. I would like to do baseline dyno run then intake, dyno, exhaust, dyno, engine management with Cobb maps, dyno. If not happy then perhaps upgrade to Accesstuner when available and take advantage of the experts up there that you guys mentioned. In the end that will likely be way too expensive and I will probably just do a baseline, then do all the mods, then re-dyno for comparison.

22. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LeiboSTi

If not happy then perhaps upgrade to Accesstuner when available

So...that will be around the onset of the next Ice Age then.

23. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LeiboSTi

LOL I dont think some of the noobs know about the Cobb issues

24. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

LOL I dont think some of the noobs know about the Cobb issues

As in the "in 2 months" sort of way? :?:

25. bikerboy

I think their downpipe has been on back order for over a year :eek:

26. PHATsuby

come on give them a break, i mean they have to make 2 bends for a downpipe, thats highly complicated work. I would be happy if they could figure that out in 2 years. :D

Ben

27. MyBlueRex

MyBlueRex Guest

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by PHATsuby

propulshun is the shop in front of RS motorsports, supposedly they are separate. RS has the dyno, propulshun sells parts i guess.

Ben

Is RS still in business? Their website http://www.rs-motors.com is now defunct. That's typically not a good sign.

28. LeiboSTi

Well I guess I guess that I was looking more long range on the accesstuner. It has taken me over a year to get to where I am now. I tend to obsess about each mod ahead of time. I know that Cobb is painfully slow, but the products do seem good when they arrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.