Been an expensive 365 days!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by skubi1, Jul 15, 2022.

1. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Last fall head gaskets failed. About 4700 to get that done. Did the timing belt at the same time since had it all apart (think that's what the total for both was).
    Couple weeks ago got the AC fixed. About 1700 there.
    Just ordered front endlinks because mine are going out
    Subaru said last year I probably need a new downpipe (thinks the cat disintegrated) max boost at around 7 psi...said there was no shaft play in the turbo and it looked good. So that's gonna be another 1k for the downpipe (getting the Cobb one so it plays nice with the Accessport)...should sound pretty good with the STi catback on there.
    Also ordered a MBC while i was at it.
    Next up is going to be a bigger turbo, fuel system and tune!

New car isn't in the near future because we just took out a loan for the wifey's car, and mine is running fine now with 105k on the clock.

Also, anyone know of a place where i can get a used driver's side front fender? I slipped on the ice and did a flying elbow drop on it and bent the crap out of it, so much I couldn't open my door. Had to use a screwdriver to bump the panel out.

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

5 grand to do head gaskets?! Dear God...

And the other two prices. Woof.

What car for the fender?

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I just payed $800 for a new AC compressor, recharge, and labor. $1700 does sound a bit high! And $5000 for head gaskets? That seems ridiculous.

We should probably start listing shops that don’t molest other members on here.

Nhibbs, euro, pinjasaur and 2 others like this.
  5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Is there an unofficial list of members that will molest other members? Haha.

Nhibbs, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. tangledupinblu

Yes

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  7. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

The price for the gaskets was for the gasket job and for timing belt replacement. I'd have to check the invoice for the exact price and breakdown.
    The AC job was first visit charge and dye to see where it was leaking. Was 300 for that. Second was a few days later and the compressor was out. Said the part was 800 (invoice said it was a "premium" part, total was around 1350 in all.
    The fender is the front driver's side fender panel. Been looking on LKQ and other sites like that, most out of state ones will not ship. Hard to find a Sage Green one. Yeah, I know the prices were a little bit high for the AC job.
    Dealership said HG job would be around 5000 for it, 1500 for exploratory surgery and 3500 if it was the HG IIRC.

8. tangledupinblu

No matter the case, a pretty spendy 365!

9. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I did my whole AC system in my S2000 and it was like $200 for the compressor and maybe $100 for the rest (condenser, drier, expansion valve o rings etc), $120 for a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set and maybe $40 for R134 to fill it.
    All in under $500 and now I have the vacuum pump and gauges for the future!

Plus I learned everything about how AC works so its not some magic system that needs an expert to figure out.

10. tangledupinblu

Hmmm, and here I thought that unicorns were involved. Learn something new everyday! $500 is my kind of price. I will pay you next time your are back in the TC’s:p

Nhibbs likes this.
  11. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

K, on a different note, what do you think the correct course of action would be for this? Body shop or DIY correction paint kit? Looking to keep the costs down, full kit is around 65 for the paint/primer etc that I found online. Got it from aaa auto for like 140 for the panel with no dents, just the few areas of paint coming off/chipped off. 7738E2A7-ADF6-4922-8786-DE708875D4C7.jpeg 7738E2A7-ADF6-4922-8786-DE708875D4C7.jpeg 5DAE5945-9CC9-4767-85C3-8BB9F37C5FA5.jpeg

12. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

If you are in the Bloomington area I can sand and prime the fender for you at my work. Pm me if you are interested

tangledupinblu likes this.
  13. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

HUGE shout out to @STI_guy for the help I got on my fender! I really appreciate it and thank you. Nice to meet ya, always fun to put a face to the names on here.
    Now just need to figure out the painting of the panel, whether to tackle it myself with rattle can or spray job.

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.