Berkeley, CA City Council tells US Marine Corps they are "Unwelcome and Uninvited"...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Taras

Taras BANNED

Brian, i am sure you are very knowledgeable person, however that does not make you open minded or accepting of other peoples views. You have been bashing and attacking me for expressing my views that are simply different from yours. It really looks like all of the support that you get for your comments come from history books that have nothing to do with the reality of the real world. If you think i am ignorant than you are no better than me.

2. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Quit being so damn logical, Mike.

This is MNSubaru. :p

3. SimRacer

SimRacer Well-Known Member

As much as I would like to support you on this one, I can't. Without history we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. You also need to open your mind a bit, you choose to argue rather than debate. That is why you get the reaction you do from some of the folks on this site.

I also know that once you take some time and look at the other side you seem to be very reasonable. Give people a chance and take a bit of time to study the situation before reacting or typing.

Mike

4. Taras

Taras BANNED

I sure do. I am a very open minded person and can relate to a lot off issues. I am not accusing or bashing anyone here. Everyone is entitled to their own views and ideas. And i very much agree with you that history is very important, however i dont think its the sole thing that we should be looking at when we talk about currant politics.

5. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Taras, the reason that I've gotten so vehement with you is because some of the things you've said contradict history, fact and sometimes even common sense. You really seem to have very little to no grasp of the importance of history as it relates to world conflicts or how nations are shaped. If you had done any research at all on how this country in particular was born out of first civil disobedience then armed conflict you would realize just how ill informed and ignorant your statements were. Your follow on statements only served to reinforce that notion in my eyes. Especially when you talk about Germany not wanting a large military, as a Russian you should have that lesson burned into your national spirit. Your country lost over 20 million people in WWII. Does that escape you somehow? I'm not saying you are closed minded, I'm saying you're undereducated. And when someone tries to tell you differently, it seems like you keep looking for some silver lining inside the cloud. Even during the WMC debacle it seemed like you were doing the same thing. Your comment that history books have nothing to do with the reality of the real world just smacks of naievity to me. And no, I don't root myself in the history books, but history is merely the roadmap that has led our world to where it is now. You'd do well to learn the connection between the "then" and "now". Otherwise, you'll continue to make the same mistakes you do now.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. That is one of the most important lessons handed down throughout history, yet it's one of the most forgotten as well. If this planet wants a chance at moving forwards then it needs to take a very good look at the lessons learned in the past. I don't see that kind of introspection happening anytime soon.

6. Taras

Taras BANNED

I agree with your last statement Brian. But the problem is that you think war and military power is an answer to everything(or atleast thats how your comments make me think about it), but it just ain't true. And i do know that this country was born out of war and armed conflict and i think you should not be proud of it. This country was pretty much stolen from Native Americans, and dont tell me i am making this up. And this country was raised on the blood of African slaves. I know the history, i just look at it from a different point and i am entitled to have it.

7. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I have never said that the military is the only solution. Your posts seem to come off as there not being a need for it, and that diplomacy will win the day in every case. I am damn proud of the fact that my forefathers took on the biggest military power in its time and defeated it to gain our national independence. Yes, our country has made mistakes in the past, and so has every other country. No, I'm not proud of some of the things that my country has done in the past but we can make sure that they're never repeated. However, the same could be said of the Soviets and their takeover of Eastern Europe after WWII. Or the British Empire, or the Roman Empire, or the Egyptians. The list goes on and on. Why would I accuse you of making something like that up? I've been to the Little Bighorn and Wounded Knee. I'm more than willing to admit that our treatment of the Native Americans and the African slaves was horrible.

8. Taras

Taras BANNED

I guess we just misunderstood each other, you thought i said that there is no need in military but thats not what i meant. I think military is needed but is not the answer to everything.

9. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

i dont think you two will ever see eye to eye on any topic. but Taras....your posts in the first part of this thread are completely wrong. banning recruting stations anywere is just crazy. if we keep people from willingly enlisting...that gives a reason to open the draft (I HOPE NEVER HAPPENs) and would make our military much weaker over time because we dont fight wars with hopes and dreams. it actualy takes manpower.

the only reason why i first started arguing was mis informed comments that (maybe they werent ment to sound ethnocentric...but they did) talked down on the Muslim population. terrorism and the islamic religion shouldnt be associated with eachother.

but as far as calling anyone who serves in our armed forces criminals?!!!! these crazy people should get a fist in the face because its not their call if they fight in iraq or not. they are just doing what they were trained and told to do. the same thing happened with the Vietnam war. ignorant citizens bashed on the vets becasue they did their job and a lot of them didnt even want to be fighting. the nice thing about joining the military is they take care of you for serving. for a lot of people its the only way to make something of themselvs because they cannot afford school and its used as a gateway to a better life. so keeping people from enlisting is just wrong! "people who forget history are bound to forget it" and that statement holds true by what i saw in the videos and news reports.

10. Taras

Taras BANNED

I did not say its a right thing to do. I think they wrong and should not be doing it, but they have a right to do it even if its wrong.

11. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

wrong to do what?! ask people for help? its like a employer sending out need help adds. how is it wrong to ask people to serve. no one is forcing you to join....

12. Taras

Taras BANNED

I guess I was confusing. I ment its wrong what those people are doing, the should not be so defensive with the solders, but they have a right to protest if they want to. I am sure they have better things to do tho.

13. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

does that mean I can stay in this great country and enjoy its' freedoms???

14. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is pretty much the truth... look at almost ANY situation that has been worked thorugh with a peaceful resolve and sooner or later one of the parties hated the outcome and used violence...

15. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

only if you spend your $600 check to stimulate the economy

16. Taras

Taras BANNED

People in general are gritty, and the rulers will try very hard to get what they want no matter how many people will die. If they cared about the life of others it would be much different.

17. fondune

fondune Well-Known Member

Yes, people are GREEDY.

18. Taras

Taras BANNED

Thank you.

19. fondune

fondune Well-Known Member

No problem.

20. Mike Wagner

Mike Wagner New Member

Nice ideals, but present day real world examples show us that human nature is also violent as well as loving. Check out any nation where we have conflict today. It is a complex balance of gread, fear and love that make the world go round.

Head to the middle east with a message of love and tollerance and see what happens. Check out all the misionaries that have been kidnapped and killed over the last decade all over the world.

Diplomacy is all about ballance of all needs, in the end the sign of a good setlement is one in which all parties are unhappy.