Best E85 in St. Paul?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by miked003, May 6, 2021.

1. miked003

miked003 Well-Known Member

I'm located in north east st. Paul suburbs and can't find more than e70. I'm eager to try my E80 tune. Any one know any good gas stations??

2. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

I'm in Stillwater and I feel like I've seen E85 around here somewhere, I'll keep an eye out.

3. miked003

It's easy to find gas labeled E85 but its only 70% ethanol. Usually during summer you can find 80% you need a gauge to measure it. You can make more power on higher ethanol.

4. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

There's a Minnoco on White Bear Lake Blvd just south of 36 that is usually mid to upper 70s. Kwik Trips all have E85 but as of now its hovering around 60% and might hit 70% in midsummer.

5. Taxiarchis Kourelis

Taxiarchis Kourelis Well-Known Member

Minocos and Hyvee have the highest % of ethanol in my experience. Highest I ve seen though is e80 to e82 though

6. miked003

White bear Blvd? You mean white bear ave? I know of the hyvee on white bear Ave a few blocks north of 36. I'll go there soon and report back. Last time I filled up at holiday 96 and 35w and it was e72.

minnesotanice likes this.
  7. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

I don't run E85 so it never really crossed my mind, but this thread is super interesting for me. Is the 85 in E85 all just marketing?

I figured it meant legally it was 85% ethanol, and never thought to look into more until now.

8. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I also don't know squat about ethanol but I think it normally says *up to 85%. And I think that's where the whole flex in flex fuel comes from is in its ability to adapt to the ethanol content.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  9. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

They have a warning on all (that I have seen) pumps saying it can vary between 51%-83% ethanol. Usually they run lower % in the winter when ethanol is less available, and higher content in the summer. True E85 is 85% ethanol but is near impossible to find at pumps. Usually have to go through a racing fuel supplier to get true E85.

I ran a separate tune for E85 and 91 Octane but had some issues due to the true ethanol content in E85. I would recommend looking into flex fuel just for safety measures.

That being said, I am interested to hear how Hyvee's content is.

miked003 likes this.
  10. miked003

I think the idea when they first started making ethanol fuel for the "renewable" aspect was to run cars on this new corn based ethanol which is just alcohol. So they added a bit of gasoline so people wouldn't drink it, 15% and named it E85. 85% ethanol. But like stated above they lower the ethanol percentage in the winter because cars don't like to start especially in our cold climate on the high mix of ethanol. So it varies throughout the year and stations. From about e55 to e75. Which makes daily driving on e85 difficult because you have to constantly monitor ethanol level and switch between five different tunes. Or run a standalone ecu that can constantly adapt the tune using an ethanol sensor.

11. miked003

So update on hyvee and minoco,
    Hyvee on white bear Ave north of 36 tested about E79
    Minoco on white bear Ave south of 36 tested about E84
    This is using the vial tester thing. Levels read a little lower in my digital gauge in my car but I didn't fill up on a perfectly empty tank.

Anyone else find any other good spots??

Butthau5 likes this.