BG Outback lift advice?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pleiades, Nov 20, 2020.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

So I picked up a '98 Legacy Outback from another member here that needed some TLC, recently finished up with the engine work and now moving on to tires, brakes and suspension. I'm putting on a set of 215/65r16 snow tires so that should give a slight lift over the stock size, but looking at options to gain another inch or two of clearance (shocks are a bit worn so they could use replacement anyway).

I've read through a decent amount of articles/threads and it seems like I could go a few routes. Swapping in Forester strut assemblies appears to be the easiest, but from what I've read the effect varies based on year/trim of the Fozzie and it might still have a saggy butt, as well as potentially a harsher ride due to the stiffer springs designed to support a heavier vehicle. Looks like I could also just run OEM struts with spacers, a set of lift springs, or some combination of those three options.

Anyone with first-hand experience who could share some advice on the pros and cons? My main concerns would be effectiveness of the lift, maintaining ride quality, and total cost. Thanks!

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Out in bozeman, MT most of the guys just threw in strut spacers and/or spring spacers. (One for lift, the other for "stiffer" springs. I was also under the impression the fozzie strut swap only worked for the imprezas due to the strut mount size

pleiades likes this.
  3. pleiades

From what I can gather the SG Forester struts should be a direct bolt-in for the BG but don't give much lift over the OB struts. Strut mounts appear to match up fine from any '99-08 Fozzie, height difference varies depending on year (supposedly the '06 XT auto has the biggest effect). Hard to tell what the end result would be on any of this because most info I find seems to be for either Imprezas or Legacy wagons, not a whole lot on BG Outbacks.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

One of the moderators on the Infiniti Q50 forum put some of these in his rear springs and took a bunch of heat for it, but there were no bad long-term effects (at least that he has admitted to).

mCaXUO42444j_UPIamg2FPQ.jpg

tangledupinblu and pleiades like this.
  5. pleiades

Haha, yeah I suppose that's one option. Since I'll likely be replacing the struts relatively soon anyway I'm sure there are better ways to go about gaining height.

6. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Here's from a guy up here...

Screenshot_20201120-125453.png

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485 and pleiades like this.
  7. pleiades

Perfect, that pretty much answers everything. Thanks.

JaloP likes this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I've had several vehicles with a spacer lift. IMHO it's the best combination of factory components (struts and springs) and gained ground clearance.

It will harshen the ride a touch, as the steeper control arm angles transmit more force into the body, but it's a fairly small change.

I plan to put an www.SJRLift.com 2" kit in our "new" '02 Outback VDC when I get it going.

9. pleiades

Picked up a set of '06 Forester struts from U Pull today. Going to hopefully have those and the new brakes in tomorrow, then getting the wheels/tires back from the shop Monday. Guess I'll find out then how it all works out...