Boost/oil gauge wiring

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Cotts612, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Hey all. I'm going to be installing a boost and oil psi gauge tomorrow and was wondering about wiring to illuminate the gauges. They'll be installed in a gauge cluster surround that I bought a while back for my 04 wrx.

Tapping a fuse looks like the easiest way, but would it make sense to use a fuse tap for two 161 lights? Or just splice into a wire an solder it? It would be nice to be able to dim the gauges with the rest of the lights, but not sure how that would work. Especially since the dimmer switch is on the turn signal.

I want to do this the right way and have looked around the internets for a bit but have only come up with old and incomplete info. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Stephen

2. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Dimmer is a pain in the rear because Subaru is backwards.

3. Cotts612

Not really sure what you mean by backwards. Im figuring those little 161 bulbs are only about 3 watts, so 2 of them would only pull a half amp? So another fuse wouldn't be necessary. Wondering is it possible to just use a fuse tap and not add an additional fuse, use the existing fuse that im tapping into for power to the lights? Anyone have experience with this?

Sorry im rambling my thoughts as they come. I've been reading to many threads about this and it's late. Starting to get lost in information.

4. Cotts612

The reason i keep going back to the fuse tap idea is so i don't. have to cut into another wire and solder. I'd rather have a new wire. Bah. Sleep time.

5. Cotts612

Anyone? Bueller?

6. Jake underwood

Jake underwood Member

I would do the fuse taps, easiest way to get a good power source. As for the dimmer, I've only done dimmers on one set of gauges I've installed and I just found the headlight fuse and used a fuse tap as well.

7. Cotts612

I used the fuse tap and tapped into the illumination fuse. It doesn't dim, but the lights work on one of the gauges. Hoping it's just the bulb not working in the other gauge. Vac seems normal, -20 inhg at idle. Boost on the other hand, 6-8psi. Wondering if my car has been stuck in valet mode since i've had it? Wouldn't a boost leak that big show up as loss of vacuum too?

8. Cotts612

Went out this morning and re-tightened the line coming off the T fitting. Never really wrenched it hard since the T is made of plastic. That might be something i swap out for a brass piece. Aftert that, hit about 15psi in 3rd before it dropped down to 11-12psi, damn wastegate. Seems to do this consistently. Im assuming this is normal for the stock tune, which sucks.

Jake underwood likes this.