Brake Group buy #4???

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by WRX1, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well I was thinking about doing another brake group buy this winter. Normally I try to let everyone know VERY early (now) and then we try to get everything finalized and done around the end of Feb. Once again I will be going through Deversified Cryo. Mark/Bill has been very good to our group. They are always getting us some great prices on anything we need. I will be getting ahold of Mark in the next week or so to get some pricing. I just need to know who is interested and what they want. Again, this probably will not be finalized until the end of Feb. That should give everyone planty of time to same their money. Usually the gb prices are a little better than the std MNSubaru discount prices that we already get.

As a possible bonus feature, I am also going to check to see if Mark will cut us a deal of std cryo stuff. So if anyone was interested in getting motor/tranny parts cryo treated:hsugh:, post up. If you check out their site (frozenrotors.com), they can cryo treat ANYTHING. I will start working on some pricing and post up what I find.

Russ

2. JeWrX

JeWrX Well-Known Member

I did pads and rotors a little while ago, but the total came to like 86 bucks, cheap parts and i can already feel my braking power fading, id be down for some rotors and pads....maybe. (virtual hand raise)

3. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Do they do 4/2 pot stuff? I am thinking about changing brake calipers and rotors.

4. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

Question regarding the GB...

1. In the past did someone help out with the install of brakes? I'd be very interested in a complete set, but have very little tools and know how to do the install myself...

2. Is it wise to replace the calipers while replacing the rotors and pads? If so how much more do they generally cost?

Thanks for the info! :)

5. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

I can offer an Install day for the group for a nominal fee per car.

Matt

6. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

+1 for frozen rotors. I did rotors and pads all around early this fall and I love they feel they give and the stopping power they provide.

If anyone needs help installing, I am more then willing to give a helping hand..

How ever I would be interested in getting a set for my wifes mazda 6 if that is possible. I would want rotors and pads all around. Let me know if this is doable and I will get the part numbers or what ever you need to order the right stuff.

Thanks for doing this again Russ

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I will need:

cryo treated rear XT6 rotors (I have them...and will get them resurfaced first)

WRX/RS front rotors (not sure what kind....)

WRX/RS front pads

EA82t rear pads (IIRC the caliper brackets came off an '88 GL-10 turbo wagon). not sure if you can get anything for them....but I'll be needing some...

and probably some stuff cryo treated...most likely tranny gears, and maybe some 4runner parts.

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well first off. I can/should be able to get rotors for any car. I have had non-suby rotors in the gb before. This isn't a suby only thing. Liek I said before, this is the main feeler post and as soon as I get some prices on the common things I will post them up.

Russ

9. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

oohh man just had to tempt me with brakes. can they get 4pot / 2pot calipers? (from the 06wrx IIRC) depending on the pricing on those i might bite on a full set calipers, rotors, and some hawk hps pads. to early to say though.

as for engine stuff. any clue what they would want to do a set of block halves (is this worth it?) pistons, rods, crank (again think its worth it to freeze this stuff?)

10. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Mine are warped right now. If there's gonna be a group buy with pricing less than (or even equal to) tire rack, sign me up for some hawk hps/cryo rotors/ss lines and some good fluid (ate blue?).

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

sweet...yea, look if you can get Subaru XT6 rear rotors (I beleive the donor car was an '89, but I don't think it matters), but I doubt there's anything other than stock replacement. in which case I'll just use mine.

I'm also looking at doing a rear disc brake conversion for the 4runner....but I'll need to find more information on what is needed

12. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

no need unless a) a slide is frozen and you cant get it out with out it snapping b) the caliper is puking c) you grind the pads so bad you blow the piston out...

I too could offer an install / teaching session for a nominal fee per car...

truly though brakes you need like a 12mm, 14, and I htink a 17 or 19 mm wrench... and maybe a deadblow hammer for rusted on rotors... (if replacing them)... its is very simple.. and some good quality brake grease to lube various parts...

also Martin I am not sure there is an advantage to having the calipers cryoed.. but I could be wrong... I just dotn think that would aid in any wear or anthign or heat dissipation?!?!?! put your money towards the rotors or pads... dont waste it on calipers...

13. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

^ yah you should need a 19mm to get the wheel off, a 14mm for the caliper bolts (this is much larger, 19mm IIRC for brembos) and a 10mm or 12mm for the brake line. if the rotors dont come off with the hammer, you can use two small (10mm?) bolts to thread in a push the rotor off.

14. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

Thanks Nathan! Good info! My breaks are in pretty good shape, but I'm sure they are the same one from when the car was new and with 46,xxx miles of wear I'm sure it would hurt to get some much more heavy duty rotors and pads!

Looks like we got multiple people willing to help which is always awesome!

What kind of life span do the frozen rotors and hawk pads have in comparison with OEM Suby brakes???

15. TSTRBOY2004

not sure... but I turned mine once when i put them on (they were used) and havent had any issues with them yet... small pulsation but I think that was due to brake dust caking in the slots... cleaned them all out the other day and not feeling anything much now...

I htink the website says like a 10 time life increase on average or something.. basically it wears better or less under heat etc then the normal ones...

16. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

Don't think I can wait that long to do my pads. May still be up for rotors, SS lines and fluid.

17. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

Put me down for another set of Hawk HPS's front and rear for the STI. I may need some parts for the Leggy also but I'll let you know later on it.

If you guys are looking for pads or rotors Diversified has been awesome to us with these group buys. Don't miss this!

18. TheWRX

TheWRX Well-Known Member

hey Russ...Can u give us and estimate on how much of a discount from the prices on there site u would be able to get them for...like a precentate...even an estimae would be good...thanks...

Mohd

19. Underhill

Underhill New Member

I will most likely be looking for a whole setup, rotors F/R, Pads, SS lines.(04 Sti)Hmm...Feb, right after the wifes birthday, good timing.

20. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested. Would like to upgrade the rotors, lines, and pads from the stock ones on the WRX :)

21. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Price me on the;

02 WRX rear cryod rotor + HPS pads

22. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Any estimate on the time frame here?

That'll help me get my $$ in a row.

23. 02blubru

^^ First post says the end of febuary

24. bummpy

bummpy New Member

doh!

duly noted.

25. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I'm down for HP+ pads and either Frozen rotors or PowerSlot rotors - haven't decided just yet.

26. TSTRBOY2004

why not go frozen powerslots... thats what I got all round... great rotors..

27. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

More than likely, I will be in the market for rotors all around on the STi.

For those asking, I have had Slotted Frozen Rotors on the RS for 2 AutoX seasons with no significant wear, using aggresive pads (Porterfield R4S for AutoX and R4 for track use)...

28. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Price powerslots for all four corners on an 05 LGT.

Dunno yet if I'll be upgrading the brakes before that with something bigger. After the Subaru Challenge it's abundantly clear that the LGT needs tires, brakes, and suspension upgrades much more than it needs more power.

29. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

i should hopefully have some money for rotors and lines by then

30. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

yeah I think I'm up for the h6 rotors, gotta check my pads, I think they are probably alright.

31. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

price list is on the way. I will post up when I get it.

Russ

32. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Anyone else ever read the white papers on stoptechs website?

It's pretty good.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

I guess it's not that my rotor is warped (or that anyone ever really has a warped rotor). It's that there is an uneven buildup of friction material.

Never knew that or even really thought about it that hard.

33. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Hmm... Tax refund could be back by then.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have SS lines and upgraded pads for my wagon. Depending on price, rotors too?

34. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

OK, here are the prices for the rotors and pads.

View attachment 2092

Here is the info on pricing for everything else. I am not 100% sure on the std cryo prices for the gb, but these will be close enough for now. If there is a big enough demand for it I will check it out.

http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/motorsportspricing.html

I will also check on ss lines. I know they were is the process of doing lines but I haven't really followed up on it.

Russ

35. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Question:

What brand are these rotors? Powerslot - Brembo?

And are they already cryo treated or this is the additional pricing listed in the link (@ $56 per rotor I think read?)?

36. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, they are powerslot rotors, but almost all the rotors out there are brembo blanks. Those prices in the list are complete (cryoed, plated, slotted), and the list on in the link is for anything else you would like cyoed.

If anyone has any rotors that are not on the list (can be pretty much any car that has rotors), let me know. I will get the quotes and post them up.

Russ

37. 02blubru

2004 mazda 6 sedan
    Rotors and pads all around

38. bummpy

bummpy New Member

That's pretty good pricing. You can sign me up for front rotors and pads.

39. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

put me on the list for early 02 wrx front rotors and could you please get me pricing on doing an 04 wrx gear set.

thanks russ

40. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Can they get any deals on Braided Stainless brake lines?

41. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

need prices on rotors for 98 rs and possibly lines too

42. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

Goodridge SS Lines $108 - I believe that is the group rate (picked up two sets within the last year from Mark.)
    If you're considering upgrading your brakes, get 'em from frozenrotors/diversified - they're local and really great people to work with.

43. shineynitelite

shineynitelite Well-Known Member

i'l take some rotors and pads for an 02

hp+ pad price?!

44. shineynitelite

shineynitelite Well-Known Member

00ish ford focus SVT pads and rotors, price?

45. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

russ...you gonna start a "for sure" list for this? i'm in dire need of some front rotors asap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.