Brake Pads and Rotors

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, Feb 12, 2020.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

After seeing @Krazylegz1485 post regarding upgrading his brakes for HPDE and light track day, I was going to try and shoe horn my question into that thread as I am looking to do the same. However, that conversation took off into a more technical direction than I was looking for.

I have a 2011 STi that I use as a summer only daily and will be replacing the brake pads this spring. As I will also be looking for HPDE and light track duty I was also going to update my rotors and add in steel brake lines to accompany the pads and master cylinder brace.

I was looking at the Stoptech Sport Slotted Kits as everything comes in a nice bundle and I have good things regarding Stoptech. This being said, I am wondering if anyone had any experience with this level of pad/rotor or if another brand/type would perform better.

Thank you!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

I run those rotors on my GC. I ran their street pads as well for a few laps at Brainerd and they couldn't handle the heat and I would get some pretty bad fade after a few laps. I swapped to Hawk HP+ and it was better but they have their limits as well. I am swapping to brembos this season and will likely be running some PFC pads for HPDE.

minnesotanice likes this.
  3. minnesotanice

Based on what I was reading that was the general consensus on the Stoptechs. How were your HP+'s for street driving (if driven on the street)? I'm wondering if it is just worth it to fork over a bit more money get some EBC Yellows?

4. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I highly recommend Frozen Rotors. I've had a set on my car for over 80K miles and no warping of any kind. Last brake job I just swapped out the pads.

02subbieRS likes this.
  5. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

I personally don't mind the HP+ for street use. They are more on the dusty side, but with the new compound change I feel they are a very good street pad. I haven't run any of the EBC stuff personally so I can't say much to those.

6. minnesotanice

Which ones are you running? Standard? Slotted? Street Sport?

The one thing I'm seeing in reviews is that they can be noisy from time to time. That'll happen depending on heat in them and bedding, but it seems more prominent than other pads.

7. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

minnesotanice likes this.