bugeye springs on a 98 legacy? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by 9blackmax6, Dec 6, 2008.

1. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

since ive gotten no response what so ever on nasioc. gawd sometimes i hate how much traffic there is on that site :roll:

i need to know if i can use my stock legacy gt suspension all of it and swap 02 03 bugeye springs in with little to no modification. i dont know much of the suspension lingo but all i am planning on doing for now is springs and i am getting them off a 02 03 sedan bugeye. direct bolt up with no fitment issues or what else am i going to need inorder to make these springs work with my stock struts and the rest of my stock suspension. i know alot of you are going to tell me to do struts too but i am waiting until spring to get shocks and i just want a little performance increase over the winter until my tax return comes. any insight is greatly appreciated!!

also it would be sedan to sedan transfer so no worries there.

Thanks,
    -Eric

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

3. 9blackmax6

no one has said anything about JUST springs. and that site confuses me.

4. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say NO, on just the springs.
    plus, I'm guessing that you have the stock struts, and they are shot.

5. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Also, I do not think the WRX springs will fit on the legacy struts because they have different sized/shaped perches on the struts.

6. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

dont know jack about legs but i put some gc swift springs with bugeye struts on my gc and i only had to use my stock tophats otherwise it was a direct replacement..minus the stock bugeye ride heighth due to the struts..but i would imagine that if the springs from a bugeye have the same diameter as your legacy springs you should be just fine.

just a guess tho.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

8. 9blackmax6

ive read that, it says nothing about using springs on stock legacy struts.

9. 9blackmax6

What will fit:
    From - Any spring/strut combo made for MY02/03 Impreza WRX/RS/L
    To – MY97-99 Legacy GT/L/Outback wagon/sedan

that confuses me. what is he saying by this. does he mean i can use aftermarket bugeye springs on my stock legacy struts?

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Looks like you need both.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Thats cause you can't ...

Question #2 – My cousin/friend/message board said I can use WRX struts/springs is this true?

Answer #2 – YES! Is it true, all rejoice! Now, how do you do it.

Step 1 – Source 02/03 WRX/Impreza struts/springs/upper spring perches/strut tops(tophats)
    You will need to get the same parts as what you have. (wagon to wagon, sedan to sedan) this is due to the wagon springs being designed for a wagon. Now you can use wagon parts on your sedan it just may sit a little higher in the rear. Also WRX wagon springs are softer in the rear than sedan springs. So its just better to keep it wagon to wagon….etc… The upper spring mounts for the fronts are the same between wagon/sedan so that doesn’t matter.

Step 2 – Front: You will need to re-use the rubber spring spacer from your legacy upper spring mount. You will need to trim it a bit to fit the smaller impreza spring as they are tapered at the top.
    Rear: You can re-use your legacy parts here, as the rear upper spring mounts are the same.

So a quick recap.

Parts: Front impreza struts/springs/upper spring perches/strut tops.
    Rear struts/springs

Bolt those on and get an alignment and you’re all done.

After Market vs. OEM – So yes any aftermarket springs will work with what ever setup you have. Once you’ve swapped on your WRX suspension you can use any spring made for 02/03 wrx’s.

I have a 1999 legacy outback with a 02/03 wrx struts with Tein S-tech springs. My car is low.. really low. I get rubbing in the rear fenders which if I roll the fenders would prob fix this problem. But I did also pay $150 for the whole setup and it does handle very well. If I could do it all over again I would prob go with this setup..

GR-2’s + (GT/aftermarket springs) swapping on GR-2s will drop my outback down to stock legacy height (6.1) then any other drop would be from the springs. The only reason for this would be legacy springs are made for legacy’s.. So the rates would be closer to perfect. But I do flip-flop on this every week or so. I have rallycross’d this setup quite nicely for over a year as well, but I did break a Y-pipe and trash my OEM exhaust due to being so low.

I hope this helps out, and feel free to send me updates or anything I might have missed and I’ll add it.

12. 9blackmax6

13. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

Upper spring perches, maybe?