Buying tools: What brand do you favor?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JuStaWRX, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

2. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

There are a handful in that price range on "Father's Day Specials" right now at Home Depot (I'd assume most of the other stores will also be doing deals also). I have a small craftsman box right now that is two drawers plus the opening top, more like a moveable box, but I use it as a stationary set up with a separate small travel box when needed. It works out well, and for my use, has been sufficient.

3. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

The HF red 26in, 44in, 56in, and 72in are all great tool boxes (the 44 can be had for $349 with a coupon, the 26in top and bottom is about $300). They are by far the best toolboxes for the money. Craftsman and husky use incredibly thin steel (and have very low weight ratings per drawer for their cheap lines, 25 or 50 lbs in a drawer is embarrasing, 100lbs is abou the minimum a quality box will have, and a tool truck box will have 200 or 300lb rating per drawer). Kobalt is a bit better, but barely. Harbor Freight uses the thickest steel, rolls the corner on the drawers (more rigidity), has more ball bearings per slide than the competition and is cheaper. For once, harbor freight actually has the highest quality product in a price range!

You could also look at the harbor freight 5 drawer cart (if that is big enough for you). Price is $160 ish with coupon and also is very good build quality for the money.

Masterforce from Menards is also great (probably better than the HF), but they are also more expensive and I don't like the drawer layout as much.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I am amazed at the lesser quality of a current Craftsman toolbox (one you can carry with a couple of ball bearing-slider drawers) as compared to my Craftsman box that is about 35 years old. They don't make them like they used to.

5. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just wanted to follow up. I appreciate all of the feedback and advice on the tools. Tonight I picked up the Ridgid GenX X5 combo kit. The kit included most everything I will ever need (and if I need something else, either my dad or buddies have it for bigger jobs). Since the kit is brand new (replacing the X4 kit) it has been on sale for $399. My buddy who is a Ridgid Power Tools Ambassador is also currently moving, and as I am storing a fair amount of his stuff for a few weeks during transition and helping him move, he gave me (after multiple turn downs from my side) $100 toward the kit. So it has all ended quite well I feel. The kit also came with the Lifetime Warranty, which was a bit of a pain to set up, but should be good for the long run. The kit included the items below.

GEN 5X COMBO KIT
    4.0Ah LITH-ION BATTERY
    4.0Ah LITH-ION BATTERY
    GEN 5X BOOST CHARGER
    GEN 5X IMPACT DRIVER
    GEN 5X HAMMER DRILL
    GEN 5X 18V RECIP SAW
    GEN 5X 18V CIRCULAR SAW
    RIDGID 18V TORCH LIGHT

We have some projects up north at the cabin coming up, and a potential bathroom remodel at home in the next 6-12 months which I am really excited to moving forward on. Again, thanks for all of the advice!

Attached Files:

Subie Lovers and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Wow, late to this one, but I've used pretty much everything out there professionally and personally.

Everything @Shancaldazar has said is spot on. I couldn't say it better myself.

If you're serious about cordless tools, get Milwaukee. I've replaced everything I used to own with them. I hardly ever bust out my air tools anymore, or my corded Sawzall for that matter.

I will say, that if you just want a casual set of cordless tools, the Ryobi Lithium 18V are a great value for the money. They might not be quite as nice as DeWalt or PC, but they're as good as (and generally better engineered than) the Ridgid tools. I lied, I do still keep a Ryobi 1/2" impact in the rally car for emergency wheel changes. And I held onto my Ryobi cordless caulking gun, because who else has ever bothered making one?

Ridgid makes a great shop vac.

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Very nice! You'll be more than happy with them for the amount that you'll use them. The battery indicator on the battery is a great feature on Ridgids.

Fwiw, the circular saw finds it hard to not suck batteries dry quickly. For a few cuts, no problem. But if you have alot of cuts, make sure that you always have a battery charging!(goes for most brands, not just Ridgid)

Happy building!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

This. ^^^

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

That. ^^*

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The other thing.