Calling all "bikers".

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krazylegz1485, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Long story short, I'm looking for advice/assistance in finding a new (to me) bicycle. I'm fast approaching the severely out of shape stage and running is pretty much out of the question (bad knees). I'm looking for something that's as comfortable on the road as off. My goal is to ride on the road for the most part but also make a trail in our woods at some point.

I'll admit I really don't know what a "good" bike should cost me, but I don't want to get a hunk o' junk that I'll hate to ride. I by no means need a brand new one, and would much rather score some more "features" by finding a deal on something used. Only stipulation is I'm 6'6" and really would like something I fit on.

Anybody? Thanks ahead of time.

2. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with just keeping on hopping on the back of mine?

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yeah. ?

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I thought he rode on the handlebars?

5. Krazylegz1485

@silver03 likes when I ride on the back cuz then it's easier for him to pop wheelies.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. Krazylegz1485

Your damn scarf keeps hitting me in the face...

Plus when I'm on the back I never get to steer.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

8. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

'Cyclists'.

'Bikers' usually refers to the motorized variety.

As implied in your gif.

If you'll be mostly on road, with the occasional off, you could pick up a dual sport from one of the major manufacturers and put on slicker tires.

I do much the same. Mostly on road with the occasional smoothish trail. I currently ride a Marin Muirwoods with some 2" semi slicks. (Geax evolution 2). I wanted a steel unsuspended hybrid that could run decent volume tires and had less sissy geometry so I got the Muirwoods.

There is a crap ton to choose from out there at any price point. Some very cool on/off road drop bar bikes like the Marin nicasio are available as well. Cyclocross-ish. I'm sure Navar can speak more to that type.

Craigslist has TONS of bikes. Once you decide what sort of thing you'd like, start there. But it would be a good idea to get sized by your LBS given your tall frame.

tehfuzz likes this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

Yeah, that's supposed to be the joke.

Thanks for the suggestions. At least it's somewhere to start.

10. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yup. I know.

Short answer is, if you're looking for a do-all, something mountain bike-ish can do anything. Just put different tires on it. (Which is easy) Whatever you choose, just make sure it fits you. If it doesn't fit and isn't comfortable, you'll hate every ride.

Just some other basic questions to ask yourself to narrow it down are things like frame material, bar type, suspended or not, etc.

What have you ridden in the past and liked? Or go to your LBS and try a few different things to find out.

Since you have a little one, kid trailers are awesome. I picked up a Thule Chariot on Craigslist. My 3 year old loves it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Oh, since your goal is fitness, you'll be taking longer rides. Get some shorts (and a good saddle sized for you). Liners with a chamois are my preference. Even then, my sit bones hurt every spring after the first few rides.

12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

@Soupboy might have something that fits you... and talldan... but I don't think he's on here anymore.

FWIW When I was looking for a new commuter bike last year I was told to check out this fb page for used bikes https://www.facebook.com/groups/484338698280283/ and to try out as many as I can.

13. Krazylegz1485

The last decent bike I owned was a Haro Mirra 540 Air, and unfortunately had to sell that almost 10 years ago now.

That said, we inherited a couple bikes in the last few years (wife's parents do apartment maintenance and bring home lots of misc crap left behind). One of them is a fairly nice GT something or other but it's a women's bike. It's decent to ride, has suspension, and is actually pretty nice, but it's definitely too small.

Got two men's bikes but they're just cheapies that are both in need of disposal or donating. They definitely don't make me want to jump on and go.

14. idget

definitely... I double up on canari padded liners and padded shorts

15. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I agree with @sneefy about looking for a dual sport style bike. Every big brand makes one. With your height I'd recommend going to a bigger bike shop like Eriks or Penn Cycle as I would think they'd have the best chance of having something in stock in your size to try out. I worked at a smaller bike shop in high school and we never kept the largest sizes in stock. Once you figure out what size and style you like then you can browse for used versions. And like others have said don't settle on something that doesn't fit you perfectly because you'll end up hating it.

16. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Your height will be the biggest factor, you'll need at least around a 23" frame. I'm still riding my 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 and still love it. Put some dual purpose semi slick road tires on it, and they work awesome. Going all retro, I'm also building a 90's Barracuda Easton (only bike nerds will know about that one), and have been sourcing old 90's XTR components for it.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  17. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Nice. And I understand. I finally just sold my 1987 Predator Qualifier. Bittersweet letting it go.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Have you sourced a Softride stem for it yet?

19. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Definitely find out what frame size you need first, handlebar style, do you want a back rack? Good luck finding a used one big enough though.

I'm still rolling my old Robbinson MX extended frame. Light bmx bike=wheelie machine!

20. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

HELLO!! I STILL EXIST!

@Krazylegz1485 , 6'6"? Welcome to the club...I'm 6'6" as well. Your screen name makes so much more sense now. TMF happens to stand for "Tall Mother F*cker"...a nickname that was graciously bestowed upon me in college. I guess tall people feel obligated to incorporate that fact into their screen names.

In order to find the right sized bike, you're pretty much limited to Trek and Specialized, as those are 2 of the many bike companies that have enough volume to justify carrying XXL sized frames (which is what you're going to need). You will have the easiest time finding one from these manufacturers, as most local shops carry them, and you can test ride before you buy.

However, I will give you this gift: this dude's spreadsheet in his forum post: http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/mountain-bikes-very-tall-913001.html

Looks like he has kept it up to date for current models. If you look on the bottom, there are different tabs for different types of bikes. Happy hunting.

Personally, both of my bikes are Trek: I have a 7.2 FX (25" size) for road and around town, and a Fuel EX 7 29er (23" size) for single track riding....I like both bikes a lot. (Note, frame size means nothing, which you'll learn by reading that guy's forum post and perusing his spreadsheet).

If you're looking for something mostly for road, and some "light" off-roading (aka, a crushed rock trail), the Trek FX series would be great. I really enjoy the riding position on that one...not too hunched over. Narrow tires, yet still some tread, so it does great on pavers, but can hold it's own on crushed rock. However, there is no suspension and the tires are pretty skinny and hard, so if you're doing more "off-road" that just a crushed rock trail, you might want something with wider tires, and possibly even a front shock.

Bikes are like cars, fishing poles, skis, tools, etc...the equation for the correct number to own is n + 1, where n is the number that you currently own. One bike can't do every well, much like one bike can't do everything well. But there are some pretty good bikes that can cruise on the road and handle the occasional off-road excursion.

klutz, Krazylegz1485 and sneefy like this.
  21. Krazylegz1485

This is excellent. Thank you, fellow 'squatch.

Starting from the end, I totally understand. I've got over a dozen snowboards because they all do a slightly different job. I don't see myself owning a half dozen bikes, but I could see multiples down the road if it really turned into something.

That said, I'm most likely interested in something with suspension right away. Granted that might make the on-road experience a little weird but I have a feeling I'll end up in the woods around the house quite a bit (or want to, at least). I don't see myself ever getting into this single track stuff I've heard about, but I also said I'd never track my WRX when I first got it, either...

Perhaps I'll get into an Erik's sometime soon and see what I can find.

Lastly, is there a ballpark figure I should be expecting when it comes to a new one? Part of me is afraid of some sticker shock but I'd rather save a little longer and get one that I truly dig rather than get something on the lower end and wish I had gone bigger right away.

22. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but my $.02.
    If you are going to get a single bike, and are planning on off road adventures, but mainly trails. look at front suspension only. Stick with the hardtails. You loose a lot of power in the rear suspension, and for what you are planning on riding, a front suspension will be all you'll need.
    Many MTB riders prefer a hardtail, until you get into the gnarly downhill stuff.
    Get fitted, at least try some out to get an idea of what size you'll be looking for. Then look at the adds.
    Pinkbike, there is a Facebook group called "Twin Cities Bicycle Trading Post" that has lots of stuff come up for sale.
    I would suspect for a good hardtail you should be under $1000. Stay away from the 26" tire size, I have a feeling they are on the way out.
    Tire swapping is a pain, but a skinny road tire instead of the wider knobby tires on a MTB bike make a HUGE difference in rolling resistance. I've swapped a set onto an older full suspension bike, and except for the low gearing, it works just fine on the paved trails. An extra set of wheels could help.
    And completely off topic, Welch Village near Hastings now offers lift assisted Mountain Bike Trails. Yep, ride the chairlift up, bike down. We've got 3 trails so far, with, I hope, the addition of another easy run for the beginners, and a hard, technical run by the end of summer.

23. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yep, totally hear ya.

FYI, Erik's carries Specialized, Penn and Freewheel carry Trek. I've had good experiences at Penn and Freewheel, haven't bought anything from Erik's, but I also haven't ever had an overly positive experience with them. The Freewheel out in Eden Prairie is awesome - very knowledgeable people out there, and they even have a mini singletrack test track.

Regarding single track: I started mountain biking in college, and then didn't touch my mountain bike (way undersized) for a few years. I recently picked it back up again a couple years ago, and I'm completely hooked (hence the new Fuel EX a couple years ago). There are tons of great trails in the metro - should be one within 15-20 minutes of almost wherever you live in the metro. I highly recommend trying it...great exercise and fun while you're at it.

I'll echo @MNGman - if you have an interest in mountain biking at all, and want suspension, a hardtail is probably the way to go (that simply means no rear suspension and a front shock). Definitely get disc brakes too. If you end up riding on the road a lot, you could get different tires as others have mentioned.

Cost? For an entry level, decent mountain bike, you're looking at $500+. Used bikes are somewhat cheaper, but not by much. It might be tough to find a used bike in your size also. However, the entry level $500 bikes should get you disc brakes, and very usable components, and it should last a very long time. Same as cars - a little maintenance goes a long way.

You'll want to avoid the "$100 special" mountain bikes at sporting good stores, big box stores, etc. They will break the first time you ride singletrack...ask me how I know. I would also recommend 29" wheels on a hardtail mountain bike if you go that route.

Krazylegz1485 and klutz like this.
  24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

One more thing - bikes very much fall in the category of, "buy last year's model, get basically the same thing as this year's model, and save a bunch of money."

Bike technology doesn't change that much (until you get to really high end stuff), and you can usually save a lot by buying last year's model. Might be tough to find old models at this time of year since most of last year's gear is probably already sold out, and this year's gear is rolling in...but worth a look. The largest sizes are also an issue since bike shops typically don't stock that many of the larger sizes. And whatever you do, do not get talked into anything less than the biggest size they offer (at your height).

Krazylegz1485 and klutz like this.
  25. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

You've gotten some good advice on the above threads. One other thing to think about in regards to what you spend - you can make a good chunk back if you actually spend it up front. If you buy a $50-100 big box bike like TMF states, it'll fall apart after getting wet once. If you invest in a trek/specialized you can likely get a big portion back. Look at used bike pricing - not a huge market of used bikes, they tend to hold value pretty well.

Eriks is a solid shop in general, and you can tell pretty quickly if you have a good sales person who will chat with you even if you're not ready to buy yet. I'd say 3 out of 4 that I talk to really know their stuff and don't mind helping. Just don't expect a ton of help on the weekends during prime time. Go on an evening early in the week and you'll get better help. Happy hunting!

26. idget

Totally forgot about you. Could be a me thing or a you thing... who knows!

Agreed on the budget... miiiiiiight be able to find something decent used or on clearance from the house or similar for sub $500 but $500 seems like a reasonable entry point.

TMF and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  27. Krazylegz1485

Any preference between Specialized and Trek? I'm obviously new to this so therefore have no brand loyalty or really care what I end up on right away. That said, I get the feeling like Erik's is to bikes as The House is to snowboards. I'd probably rather give my business to a "small" shop instead. Isn't Penn a one location place? I feel like I've been there once many moons ago, can't even remember what for at this point.

Also, much thanks to everybody chiming in so far. Certainly appreciate the info!

28. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I do love my scarves!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  29. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

@sneefy I sourced a anodized red Kooka Zooka stem for it, and I think a Salsa seatpost XTR front and rear der. iirc...been about 2 years since i touched that build. Came with some old red Shimano DX pedals, but people at Angry Catfish didn't know how to rebuild them :p Still trying to source out some hubs, bottom bracket, crankshaft, brake/shifter levers, and Rock Shox Mag 21's. Still a ways to go for the build... car mods are taking the front seat.

30. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I own a few Trek bikes but I have friends with Specialized and they are just as nice. Eriks is the only specialized dealer in the area. Penn has 5 or 6 locations. Freewheel bike also carries Trek along with a few other mom and pop shops around. The component group each brand uses at equivalent price point will be virtually the same but the frame geometry will be different so you should try them both.

31. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

@skubi1 Nice. I got really interested in cycling in the 90s so I'm a sucker for all things anodized. Not that I could afford anything being in college at the time. It was a fascinating time seeing all of the (questionable in hindsight) suspension experimentation in the elastomer era.

32. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

@Krazylegz1485 All of the major (and most minor) manufacturers source all frames but their high end from China, Indonesia, or (if you're lucky) Taiwan. So quality will be pretty equivalent at the pricepoint you're thinking. As @jubella2 said, the main difference will be geometry. Components will be pretty comparable across manufacturers at a given pricepoint.
    I tend to favor Specialized over Trek, but that is based on info a couple decades old. They are both good. Giant and Raleigh make decent stuff at slightly better pricepoints. There are a lot of cool smaller manufacturers out there as well that make things that can be a bit more unique, but for your first bike since your Haro, just stick with a major manufacturer and you'll be fine. If you find you love riding, you can always find your niche and get a bike (or bikes) to suit. Just don't get a Huffy or Mongoose from Walmart. (I remember when Mongoose was awesome. I'm getting old...)

33. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Honestly, both Specialized and Trek are decent, I've just gravitated towards the Treks for one reason or another.

IMO Freewheel/Penn/Erik's are still "local" bike shops, they have just grown a bit. When I bought my last Trek, the folks at the Freewheel in Eden Prairie were awesome. The folks at the Freewheel West Bank location, where OK, but not as knowledgeable on the full suspension bike as the EP crew. If you look at the demographics and market at each location, that kinda explains the difference.

I'd stop by a few stores, talk with the staff, try out the bikes, and find one that suits you.

34. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Penn Cycle is local, as for big box stores, Erik's is also a MN Company (some of the people that frequent there are somewhat of elitists, at least at the Coon Rapids location...all hopping on their thousands of dollars bikes and riding in Erik's spandex). Angry Catfish is good, pricing can get away from you pretty quickly there-they sell Surly's and the such. There's One on One in downtown Minneapolis that has some bikes, good for sourcing used parts. If you like online shopping, Colorado Cyclist and Bike Nashbar sell their own stuff as well, and tons of components.

35. Krazylegz1485

My apologies, but what are the differences in geometries when it comes to frames? And how does that affect the ride? Sorry, I really don't know what to look for yet... Haha.

36. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Mostly it comes down to fit and ride. The geometries will affect the handling characteristics of the bike.
    Dude, you're 6'6". I think the point is trying out multiple brands to find out what fits you best. An XL bike from Trek will feel different than an XL bike from specialized.
    Myself being of average height, I can sometimes fit a medium or large frame depending on the geometries of the bikes.
    Bottom line, find a good or better multiple bike shops to see what they have and throw a leg over different bikes to see what fits you the best.

37. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Have you seen his legs! They are krazylegz! Throwing them anywhere will require caution tape or one of those wet floor signs, sumpthin to protect the other patrons!

38. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

He needs an XXL...too tall crew here ;)

But I agree, def needs to try the bikes.

@Krazylegz1485 bike "geometry" refers to the dimensions of the bike. Top tube length, head tube angle, stem length, handle bar rise, etc, etc, etc there are several different measurements on a bike, and an XXL from Specialized very likely has different (yet similar, assuming you are comparing the same type of bike) to an XXL from Trek. Once you find the right bike, some shops offer free fitting with the bike purchase, where they will set the correct seat height, angle, proper handlebar angle...some will even swap out components (usually just the stem) for cheap or free to get the right fit.

39. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Go steel.

Surly
    Salsa
    All City
    Twin Six
    Niner

I'm really loving the plus size fad. I have a Surly Krampus which is 29+ and the ride is unmatched. I also swapped out my wheelset on my Salsa El Mariachi to 27.5+. I could talk about bikes all day long, hit me with a PM if you please.

Also, there is a really good cycling page on FB, twin cities bicycle trading post. You can find a TON of good deals on rides there. Its much more satisfying to build though.

Krazylegz1485 and sneefy like this.
  40. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Steel is real. I prefer it. Then again, I've never ridden titanium. Or carbon, for that matter. I bet I'd freaking love titanium. I used to lust after Lightspeed and Moots bikes back in the day.

It will limit your choices. Aluminum is still way more popular, even though steel has had something of a Renaissance in the last decade. Yeah, steel is a little heavier, but it's not as big a deal as it was a couple decades ago. Thinner butted tubes make the difference. My 1987 steel Schwinn Predator weighed more than my 2016 steel Muirwoods and the bike was half the size.

Not to dig on Surly too much, but I don't think there is a more overrated manufacturer. Sorry, I had to say it. Yeah, they do make good stuff and have done some very good things as far as innovation goes, but too many see them as the shiznit. Kind of like Apple fanbois. And the company tries waaaay too hard on their image, which is annoying. When the reality is, they are now Chinese made bikes and owned by QBP. Just like Salsa, all-city, etc. Ok. Minor rant over.

That said, I certainly wouldn't say 'no' if someone gave me one. But I'd pick a Salsa over a Surly. Still, I found better value in what I was looking for in a Marin. My needs and desired pricepoint were modest. I'd still love a Salsa fatbike one of these days.

41. GrawvyRobber

I use to have a Marin road bike and loved that thing. Still miss it. I love what they did with their + size bikes. The Pine Mountain is badass.

Do you hate surly for surly or do you hate them for their fanbase? Name a better color than krampus moonlit swamp green. I currently own a krampus and Pugsley Neck-Romancer, but might sell the pugsley as I got a good deal in a trade.

You gain extra cool points if you remove the decals.

I built up a full orbea carbon build. Was around 15lbs or so. Sold it a year later, just doesnt feel the same. It absorbs a lot but just feels like its going to snap. Make sure you have a good dentist if you decide to go full carbon. When they fail, they FAIL.

I currently also have a Salsa Fargo & El Mariachi ( along with too many other god damn bikes that my gf hates me for). I love them both, they all have a purpose. But I believe REI is now selling salsa, which kind of has that bigbox store feel.... Are they the next diamondback???

42. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hate is too strong a word, for sure!

I had to look up that color. Very nice!
    I do appreciate Surly's designs. It is very much the fanbase and the marketing-department cultivated image of the company. Just like Apple. I admit my biases, lol.

Marin is indeed making some cool stuff recently. They got a little boring for a while after being very cool in the 80s and 90s. New management, new direction. Good results!

You described another reason I'm wary of carbon. That and price, of course. I'm too casual these days to justify the price of carbon. Too stiff, too expensive, too fragile.

REI will occasionally sell some interesting manufacturers alongside more mainstream ones.

Dating myself again: I remember when Diamondback BMX bikes were really good. They make decent entry level mountain bikes, sold at Erik's, but are nothing special. Better than what happened to Schwinn and Mongoose.

43. GrawvyRobber

I'd say a big part of Surly's success is how innovative they've been. Plus size bikes and fatbikes as a whole falls back to Surly. They've done some really cool stuff. I've always liked Surly's carefree moto about biking. Just ****ing ride with what you got and forget about the Lance Armstrongs out there. Most the time I'm in jeans and a t-shirt.

Not to say I'd buy anything new from them, as they're all produced overseas now. If and when I decide I need a new bike, I will prob go with something by Advocate Cycles. The Hayduke is just so damn sexy.

I always hated maintaining my carbon build and having to be weary of torque specs. Yeah I still worry about that with my steel bikes, but its not like I'm going to crush a seat tube or handlebars. I do roll with a Niner carbon fork once in a while when I feel like going rigid.

44. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Oh, for sure. I can't disagree. They created categories and were very influential in bringing steel back. The cynical curmudgeon in me just dislikes the fan base (or any rabid fan base) and thinks they sold out. They used to be a cool, independent local company, then sold out to...the man, lol. But, that's business. Now they just pretend to still be that cool anti-establishment company.

I'd still ride a used one after removing all the badging.

Well, we've certainly gone off the topic of this thread! Hopefully there was something useful to the OP in our ramblings.

45. Krazylegz1485

It matters not! Keep it going for all I care. Kinda nice just seeing the talk.

While you guys are going at it, is this a decent deal?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bid/d/specialized-crosstrail-disc/6513555350.html

Probably not gonna just jump on it (unless it was an outrageous deal) without swinging through a shop or two first, but curious nonetheless.