Car Buying Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by silver03, Aug 25, 2017.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I was at a new car dealership last night with a friend who was going to buy a used car. They forgot their checkbook/debit card. No problem, I'll pay for the car and they can pay me back after the transaction. There was no bank loan involved. The dealer said that if I paid for the car, my name had to be on the title. I obviously didn't want that, so another visit will be involved by my friend with their checkbook. Is this a MN state law? Dealer policy? Help me understand. Thank you. -Rick

2. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you could call your bank and dispute the charge, after the deal is done? I would think that your $ is just as good as your friend's, so why should the dealer care where it comes from?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hmmm. That is strange. You would think that it shouldn't matter who's name is on the check paying for the car.

It's a learning lesson for your friend! Don't go buy a car without all of the necessary documents that you'll need(checks, ID/drivers license, etc).
    Next time they should just bring a fistful of cash and their license. lol

klutz likes this.
  4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The lesson specifically is, don't walk into large purchases without getting your **** together first. I'm pretty sure if I was a car dealer, and you walked in without your wallet or any form of ability to pay me for the car, and you wanted to have your buddy pay for now and fudge the paperwork, possibly creating a liability situation for the dealership where proof of ownership and purchase doesn't match up, I'd send you walking as well.

It isn't about "your money is as good as anyone else's" it's about "if he's buying the car, but this guy is paying for it, who do I put on the bill of sale and the title and other legal documents? And what if I get it wrong? Will I or my company/dealership be legally liable for letting this happen?"
    And if you're smart, your answer to the second question is "Screw this, just come back when you're an adult and have the necessary documents, forms of payment, and legal stuff. Be prepared next time if you want to buy a car."

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

That's the "longhand" version of what i said.

Agreed.

readymix likes this.