Car give aways? What gives?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

What's with all these companies doing modified car giveaways now? Is this just a really lucrative way to make money? I personally don't see the allure of paying for a chance to win a car someone else built. Isn't half the fun in building it? Sure that may come with it's fair share of pain and suffering but without that the end result somehow seems less appealing.

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

It's a multi level money making thing/fund raising thing.

Donating a car = tax write off
    Paid raffle = probably more then the car is really worth
    "Brands" = ad revenue, traffic, interactions/influencing on social media (creates money i've heard?)

3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, at 35 with a 3 year old and little to no free time and/or disposable income, I'd be more than happy to win a "free" car that's pretty much done. Haha. Granted I'd make some changes to make it my own at some point, but I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down. Worst case you sell it and get something you want?

I just don't get how the hell so many places are doing it. And it's not like, "win this 15 year old, clapped out Subaru STi!" It's like "win this totally pimped out GTR with 900 hp plus $20k cash to cover taxes, etc!" Like how the hell is there that much money floating around that they can manage to give away multiple cars seemingly all the time.

4. Faber

Faber Member

I'd imgine it's a cross between partial donations and the companies buying them. If they also do other stuff like celebrity appearances, they probably make bank off those, and the celebrity gets credited for some donation for taxes.

5. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying it has to be incredibly lucrative or something for them to be constantly doing it.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Are you referring to the likes of “Throttle” On YouTube? I would have taken that widebody hatch any day of the week. But I would never pay anything for a raffle or buy “merch” from them. Definitely a big money rouse for sure. Plus, sponsors also donate goods towards the builds.

Butthau5 and euro like this.