Car shipping company to recommend?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by lxjzhang, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lxjzhang

lxjzhang Active Member

I'm moving and have been trying to find a company to ship my 2016 WRX to Houston. Willing to pay up to $1000. Can anyone recommend some trusted company?

Thanks much!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I can drive it there for you for a $1000. Lol.

Good luck with your search!

minnesotanice likes this.
  3. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Pshh, I'll do it for some $500 and a flight back lol

4. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

With all of the horror stories I have seen at GTRlife, I would drive it yourself. You may want to check with the people that do the Barrett Jackson show. They are quite reputable, but may be more expensive than $1k.

Nhibbs likes this.
  5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Drive it down. I have had bad luck shipping cars. One time a hole magically appeared in the oil pan the "had nothing to do with loading/unloading/shipping"

6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

1000ish miles to Houston... $1 per mile is pretty low. You might be able to find a private party on Uship to do it at on an open flatbed at that rate. Last time I used Uship ~3 years ago, the best quote I was able to get was around $800 for a 600 mile trip via private party open flatbed (older couple who happened to just drop off a car for their daughter in TX and was on their way back home to MN, my car was on their route home and they had an empty trailer).

If you up your budget, intercity does good work ime (although it has been several years):
    http://www.intercitylines.com/request-a-quote/

You can get a discounted rate via forums: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ounted-shipping-rates-6speed-members-160.html

I'd recommend avoiding DAS and similar transport companies who shop your job out to 3rd party shippers.

As mentioned, DIY will be significantly less. Even the rental truck+trailer+gas+lodging+opportunity cost of time route probably comes out similar (if not less) than shipping semi enclosed freight with other cars, let alone enclosed.

7. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

I shipped a car here from MA using DAS about 10 yrs ago. Ended up with a scratch on the drivers door pillar like you shut the door holding a hand full of keys. Couldn't prove it was them. But they didn't wash the car on delivery like they were supposed to. (Which I found out later)

8. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I shipped our WRX up from Florida summer 2013 and it was $1000. Mine was freight brokered and I do not remember who did it. Arrived just fine.

9. lxjzhang

lxjzhang Active Member

Thanks to all for your inputs! I'm starting a new job Monday and I'm trying to avoid a long drive right before that. I used one driver in Houston to ship my other car down there last summer. He was very easy and nice to work with and only charged $500. This time he couldn't come but he spent a lot of time helping me find somebody else, and he found someone this afternoon. A little more expensive this time but not by much. I did check and make sure the drive is insured just in case something happens. I'll drive to meet him to drop the car so at least I'll be able see how the car gets loaded (and unloaded when I take delivery). Hopefully it will arrive fine...

idget and tangledupinblu like this.