Cars and Coffee 2014

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by T_riggidy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Me too. Just like everyone else. :uhhuh:

You just hit on exactly what we're talking about. You see 30 STi's and WRX's. Everyone else sees 31 econobox Subaru's unless there is something about a specific car that really pops. It's just an all around better event when folks take their pride off the table and think about it in terms of giving something back to the community instead.

2. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Well I deemed my worthy of other people's admiration, the organizers told me to park in the subaru section too. So I guess there's something about it? It's not a terribly bad looking car for how little I've modified it.

3. SurlyOldManMN

Based on what?

It has a Subaru badge?

That's the mentality I'm talking about. You potentially took the spot of a fantastic looking car that is heavily modified or rare, because ego, pride and "you can't tell me what to do". Fine, do what you're going to do, but don't sit there and try to convince me that isn't what happened. That's borderline insulting.

4. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I did do that, but I beat them here. I'm not trying to say that my car is better than someones brand new STI on works or something, but it was quite a bit better than other cars. Hell, some sections were half empty there was more than enough room for more cars, I didn't take anyones spot. If I were to show up at 9:30-10:00 when it's a little more full, I'd probably stay out just to avoid having to drive through that mess. And there was more spots available and plenty of worse looking cars in there than mine.

And by "go to the Subaru section" I mean they didn't immediately point me in to spectator parking, so apparently my car looks the part to be in based on the two guys standing at the entrance.

5. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Is that a Ferarrie 250 GT? Aren't those worth like $10M?

Nhibbs likes this.
  6. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

That particular one was 6,000,000 or in that neighborhood.

Nhibbs likes this.
  7. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Alrighty then. I'm really shocked at the level of push to keep cars out of the venue based on personal preferences. The C&C website clearly shows an area for Import tuners, now that could be anything from a lightly modified Miata to a 1000hp GTR, but the point is their is a spot for these econoboxes as we all like to call them. If people want to put their cars in, more power to them, do I care, no not really. It's a free event, if I had to pay, well them maybe I would change my mind. If you ask me the origin of this event was for car guys and gals to get together and talk cars and look at cars while enjoying some coffee, A 19 kid and his Subaru can enjoy cars just as much as the 55 year old and his Ferrari. Would I rather see more exotics to imports, sure, but as many of us have seen a dozen Aston Martins or GTRs they still show up as well. It's not Barrett Jackson, it's a free car show.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  8. SurlyOldManMN

Does that matter?

:coffee:

9. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Yes thank you I would way rather see atleast a lightly modified car in there than some of these stock exotics which I could simply google and see what they look like but hey that's just me.

10. SurlyOldManMN

So go to one of the dozen weekly car meets. You can see those any time you'd like. What luck!

You guys apparently cannot or will not get beyond "this isn't a conversation about exotics vs imports, old vs young or rich vs poor".

Hilarious. My six year old is a better listener. Run what you brung, I'm out.

11. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

The context of my argument included ages and the verbiage of imports and exotics, but that was not point. It's a car show. A FREE CAR SHOW. Where would you like to draw your personal taste line on this one? So for the Audi section; we should only allow R8's and maybe an RS6 or Rs4. For VW, well nothing for them since everything can be seen everyday. Import Tuners should only include 1000hp GTRs and old classic Nissans. For BMW. nothing since I see enough M series daily. Nothing American that is less than 20 years old.....etc. The point is who are we to decide what goes in and what doesn't? Sure the kid with the primered bodykit on his 1991 Honda Civic should have enough sense, but if somebody wants to take the time Friday night to clean the hell out of their prized possession and offer me a look at it for free, I'm not going to suggest he park his **** somewhere else.

12. SurlyOldManMN

I draw the line when the owner's ego and pride take priority over all else. Why SHOULDN'T that primered '91 civic be in there if it's all about whether or not the owner is proud? Why don't you want to see that? Problem with poor kids? Hater.

13. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

No one is stopping that 91 civic covered in Primer except the owner. I drove my completely stock forester into the first show, no one looked twice. I'm sure someone could get a completely stock civic in there too.

14. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Speaking of hilarious. Pride and ego is what a car show is all about! That makes absolutely no sense at all . The guy driving the Ferrari, doesn't need ego to park in the show? Because it's a Ferrari? And then I bet you will tell me the guy driving the Ferrari now has no ego and or pride in HIS car too? The event is setup in sections for this specific purpose, have you looked at the map? It's not a matter of "Hey we have 10 spots left, we have 5 subarus and 9 Lamborghini's that want to come in" Who sorry only half the Lamborghinis can come in. Trust me, I wish I could go to my own personal spank bank car show and see only the cars I would ever like to see. Even C&C's own website shows pics of everything from G35 coupes to Mini Coopers, Focus ST's all the way up the line. I personally don't care to see a Mini Cooper, but I'm sure someone liked it.

15. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Sorry man you can't park in because someone might show up later with a better car and you'd be taking their spot.

T_riggidy likes this.
  16. SurlyOldManMN

I have no doubt you 100% believe that.

17. Slomander

Slomander Active Member

Maybe I'm alone on this but this thing caught my eye the most.
    IMG_78420588141552.jpeg

Here's a few random shots too. Some of the pictures I had a little too much fun in Lightroom with so they may look off..
    IMG_78391359961621.jpeg
    IMG_78412332984082.jpeg
    IMG_78435712103956.jpeg
    IMG_78450311316601.jpeg
    IMG_78462570258252.jpeg

T_riggidy likes this.
  18. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I'm dying to hear how I am wrong on that. I'm glad you are ignoring the origin of this argument. But yes, car shows are full of ego and pride and typically rightfully so. I spent $xx,xxx doing xxx to my car or my car was dyno'd at xxxhp. Nothing wrong with pride and ego, can there be, sure. You have no pride in your car? You just mentioned how many 5th gen LGT's you have seen and you are telling me that wasn't fluffing the feathers even a little bit? It's up to the owner of the car and the event staff to decide who comes in. I won't put my car in ever, and most if not all would agree. I think your modified 5th gen could go in, if you don't want to that's fine by me.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  19. SurlyOldManMN

My explanation is already pretty well covered. Take the time to read it or don't. Hint: The explanation is right next to where you took that comment out of context.

20. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I'd rather see one off's and less common cars in the show than 50 G35's and a whole row filled with R32's and golf's. Your 5th gen would be right at home.

I'd much rather see FX35's or whatever else Nissan/Infiniti has to offer and Audi/VW wagons and Subaru wagons and legacy sedans than all Imprezas, don't get me wrong I love imprezas, they are fun cars and I was pretty close to getting a WRX until this Forester popped up. You can check the footage from the last CnC, there was only one subaru that wasn't an Impreza in the show, and that was myself.

T_riggidy likes this.
  21. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

22. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

A few a friend took.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oopsy
    [​IMG]

Ryan FailRad and T_riggidy like this.
  23. ryjacobs

And this rotary sounded fantastic.

T_riggidy likes this.
  24. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Attached Files:

T_riggidy and ryjacobs like this.
  25. ryjacobs

We didn't wander over to that section until towards 10am. We checked out the other stuff first. Totally missed that - thanks for sharing!

26. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Yeah it was a pretty small turbo, nothing like my TD-04.

27. ryjacobs

It made the best noises while driving away down the street. Absolutely lovely.

T_riggidy likes this.
  28. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

So this is where you made your point? That unless you know a lot of people will like it, don't drive that **** into the show. Please call C&C and have them change their map to only include Exotics to stop this confusion. Next lets bitch about the quality of coffee they give us for free too...
    I'm still lulzing over your thought that a car show has nothing to do with ego or pride and everything to do about "giving back to the community" like the damn Habitat for Humanity.
    I just think it's funny Surly that you talk like this, but not once when you and I went did you come across this way to any of the other Subaru guys who went with us, sure you and I parked in the spectator parking, and to top it off Readmix had his car in that specific day.

29. SurlyOldManMN

You're lulzing over it because it wasn't said. You're reading the words you care to and glossing over the rest. We can talk about this in person so that stops happening, if you'd like.

30. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

So this is not what you said? From the sounds of the last post, you disagreed with the pride and ego part.

31. ryjacobs

I didn't even get any coffee. This event was terrible.

32. SurlyOldManMN

Try this one:
    Contrast that with:
    ... and you can see were our irreconcilable differences are coming from. Of course pride and ego are in play. Of course it's the place to beam over your pride and joy. If it's the only or primary thing owners are thinking about when deciding whether or not to show the event is going to suffer overall, eventually.

<archer>
    Do you want knuckle dragging, disrespectful, vapid cars and owners? Because that's how you get knuckle dragging, disrespectful, vapid cars and owners.
    </archer>

33. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

So your overall stand is to ask yourself, before you enter your car. "Will other people like it?" I get the idea of being humble, Im just trying to figure out where the line gets drawn?

T_riggidy likes this.
  34. SurlyOldManMN

There you go. Is it likely to pique someone's interest? Possibly brighten a few people's day?

The feeling you get when something pulls you in and you just have to get closer/know more about it... Does your car promote that? If you're honestly, no bull****, pretty sure you're going to bring some smiles to random faces, then by all means. I don't see rows of mostly stock g's, impreza's or bmw's doing that for very many folks. I feel if more people adopted that perspective, that many more people would be smiling their way through their whole weekend. Maybe it is still all pride. If it is, it's pride in how your car makes people feel as opposed to pride in the car itself.

"Normal" weeklies are a bit different in that they tend to focus on the people instead of the cars. Building communities. Not a thing wrong with that. But C&C is a little special. Or at least it could be.

35. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I'm not going to lie, it would be pretty empty if it were that way. I like the overcrowded rows. The more the merrier. It's great when every available spot gets taken.

T_riggidy likes this.
  36. SurlyOldManMN

And there, sir, is the crux of the argument. I think you'd be surprised. Not gonna lie myself, I like full events and the sense of community you get from seeing a bunch of kinda-like-yours cars lined up next to you. It's part of why I'm here. Sense of community, etc.

But... We have LOADS of interesting stuff up here that could fill that lot. I've personally participated in a number of conversations with people who don't want to bring out the good stuff because of what shows up today. Heard hearsay of many, many more. That makes me sad and disappoint.

37. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Because they have to much pride and ego to bring out that "special" car around those cheap filthy broke haters

T_riggidy likes this.
  38. SurlyOldManMN

The way I've had it explained had a lot more to do with culture and respect than the cars themselves. Talk to people about why they stopped going to RKC a couple years ago, or Sonic last year if you're curious how that might work.

That's a red herring either way, just a relevant anecdote on the side. We have the metal around here to fill that venue with truly interesting or amazing cars. They're out there.

39. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I think what Surly is saying is that of the people driving one of the 50 GTI's, G35/7's or WRX's, most of them think they have a unique car and its worth showing. When 50 of one car model shows up, even if they are unique, the shear number flattens interest.

Fundamentally I think the issue boils down to what the organizers allow into the show. If 50 G37's show up, which ones are they supposed to let in and which ones are they supposed to turn away? They cant fill the entire park with rare and exotic cars and they cant be assholes about who they turn away.

Nhibbs likes this.
  40. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Oh, that I completely agree with. I hate going to quite a few events because of the flat brim juveniles doing burnouts and being idiots, but I don't get to make the call on if they are worthy of entering an event. Meeting in a parking lot is different. Maybe we could do a black tie private event at C&C

41. SurlyOldManMN

Right, it's either self policing or you get 50 G37's. The whole point is to make it a positive experience. I hope it doesn't come down to the organizers needing to become assholes about people refusing to be a little more honest and realistic when evaluating what they're bringing and why.

42. SurlyOldManMN

That's right. You don't get to make the call. I don't get to make the call. We can both try and educate people so they will make better judgement calls on their own. You choose not to. I choose to give it a whirl.

43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

If I bring both an impreza and a 3 series will the boring cancel out to equal 1 cool car?

T_riggidy likes this.
  44. SurlyOldManMN

Only if you drive them both at the same time.

T_riggidy and Nhibbs like this.
  45. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I think, in this case, with what Pete was referring to was people themselves, not the cars. If you don't fit society's mold you should stay in the parking lot. :D