Cat and Mouse with a 911 Turbo at Road America FIXED!

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by MCJT, Mar 2, 2006.

1. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

http://www.solera-restaurant.com/MCJTand911.divx FIXED

Right Click and Save As ;)

This was shot last fall. The Porsche had full roll cage and many mods. He was next to me in the paddock and I even had to give him a push once to start his car because his racing battery was dead. The audio was shot otherwise you would hear it instead of music.

I have some pics too but can't seem to get them to post. The display on the dash is a G2X GPS data logger made by Racepak ( http://www.g2xtreme.com/ ). You can see my lap time just as I come up the hill on the front straight. Second lap was slower as I moved offline to let him by.

You need the divx codec to view it. Get it here: http://www.divx.com/divx/play/download/?hp3playdl

Enjoy and get out there with me!

Josh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I cant get the video to work....

3. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

+1

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

+1 and I have DIVX

5. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Josh when are you planning to go back out there, I didnt know there was any other RR on this board, but myself! LOL JK

I'll have to check out your video at home. Thanks for posting it.

6. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

FIXED!

I think my firewall at work was screwing up the upload. Did it from home and the pics and vid now work fine.

JT

7. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Vid works now, very nice! I need to catch a ride with you this season and hopefully I can make it out to Road America this year!!!

8. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Gosh, I'll have to get another car quick and get it fast so I can hit up more seat time.

9. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

shoo I wanna do some track days...but Road America seems a bit too big for me. I'll take Laguna Seca though!

10. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Stop lieing, we all know your not doing anything ;)

11. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Nice driving. He's got you in acceleration though ;) Nice choice of music too.

12. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Ride? Get out there and represent! Especially with your ride. But yes, happy to give anyone a ride. Gave my dad a ride at RA and it made him sick, lol I was even taking it easy as he made me promise not to go too fast and to stop when he asked me to. He made it three laps :roll:

Thx, Ha, no doubt! I caught him in braking and corners. You can see I was using the whole track as I was on the rumbles going out of corners. He might not have been pushing that hard. Plus, he was running Hoosiers and I had R compound Dunlop’s so he should have had more stick than me. Still fun to catch and pass him though.

Not too big. I did my first track event there in my Contour SVT. It is a very high speed track though :shock: It is best to go your first time with a club like BMW, Porsche or Audi. They have great instructors. I've driven with all three. Plus, RA is only 5 hours away vs.... WAY to far for Laguna. But I've always wanted to drive there too ;)

It would be great to get a bunch of you to go. I'll look in to dates at RA.

BTW, I run 18's and like them better than my 17's. I know there was some disscusion about this.

13. Musashi

What have you done to your car as far as handling?

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure he has Zeal Coilovers...

15. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Zeal V6 Coilovers (corner balanced with -3 camber front and rear), Strut Tower Bars, Perin Rear Sway and a Tru-Race Harness Bar. I know you wouldn't think the harness bar is a handling mod but I think it helps stiffen the car.

I also really like the tires I run, Dunlop Super Sport Race. They don't have the best tread life but they are way cheaper than Michelin Sport Cups, $120 vs $235 each. I bought a set of used Hoosiers on ebay that I'll run this season once I get my fenders pulled.

16. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

you are rolling your fenders? are you doing that yourself or having it done somewhere?

17. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

I was going to try it my self and see how it goes. I bought a fender roller. The paint on the inside of my fenders is already all rubbed off. I don't have to be super gentle because I have to have them repainted anyway.

18. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

ok. well if you need an extra hand let me know. i'd like to see how its done.

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

trolley jack handle and couple of guys to help push the car back and forth and sit on the corner to lower the car. ha ha ha its called the downunder fender roller

20. coldturbos

coldturbos New Member

nice video, what were your lap times?

21. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Thx, super fun making them :lol:

I was running 2:41.xx fairly consistently with my G2X giving me theoretical lap times of 2:40.xx per session. It takes the track and auto segments it based on lateral g's. In this case, 12 segments. It then takes your best segment times for the whole 30 min session and gives you a theoretical best session time. I was happy to see it so close to most of my laps. There are always slower laps when you have to wait on traffic. It didn't happen to me much as I ran in the advanced run group which didn't have nearly as many cars as the other groups. You can see my time on the display just after I come up the hill on the front straight.

22. Musashi

I was finally able to watch your video this afternoon, that music really made things look easy. But having never been to RA I think otherwise. LOL
    Great job showing some Scooby Power!

What club event was this? What type of video cam do you have setup? And when are you planning on going back to RA?

23. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

RA is an awesome track. It is, however, very high speed. It can be spooky in some parts. You can see in the beginning of the video doing 135 mph then hard on the brakes down a good size hill and in to a 90 degree left corner. There are clubs, BMW for example that have a speed limit in the Kink (turn 11, the one right after the long carousel). They have a guy with a radar gun there and black flag you if you go over 80 through it. I drop to 93 mph at the apex and back up to 105 by turn out. I got loose there once in my SVT the first time I drove there. My instructor started to reach for the wheel :shock: . I recovered and took it easy the rest of the weekend. I never once got concerned in my Subie though. The kink is one of the last "hero" corners left. If you loose it there you pinball off the walls and your car goes home on a flatbed.

The event was with The Chicago Alfa Romeo Owners Club, CAROC. They did it with the Chicago Corvette Club so there were lots of Vettes. I like this event because you get to do timed runs with no traffic solo style. Day 2 this year we got to do as many as we wanted. At the end, people and their cars got tired and I could just go right back out. Plus, then you get to see what everyone else was running:

http://www.caroc.com/events/old_events/RA_05.html

Like I said, lots of vettes. I have some great video somewhere of me chasing that Carrera GT. The thing sounds awesome as we go in to corners and it is auto-blipping the throttle. He would actually disappear on straights then I would catch him in the twisties. That car was unbelievably fast. The Noble was cool to run with too.

I shot with my Sony TRV-900. It's an older 3CCD digital. I have a bullet cam that is great for outside shots. Didn't use it much this time. You do get a much better sense of speed with it though. I'll put up a vid of me at BIR with the Porsche Club using it.

Yes, I'm looking at going April 8th and 9th. I'll do the CAROC event again in the fall too.

Info here for this April: http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

24. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

I'm hoping my car will be ready for BIR in May!