catback performance?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 05wrxwagonnoob, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

^ I don't think Winter Tires are out yet in the shops. Usually it is Oct/Nov when they stock them... but I could be wrong. Either way, great advice!

Mike likes this.
  2. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

Thanks guys sorry for so many questions but like pit said I just don't want to blow anything up.
    And tony since you were worried about my tires i rotated them this morning haha

3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

what he said! you still have a few months. as long as the DAY AFTER TOMORROW doesn't happen.

also many for sale threads right now with them

4. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Not a problem, it was good meeting you last night too. We've all started in this boat and it just takes time to learn and research. Then, just when you think you know it all, you blow up a motor and the real fun begins! (haha I'm jk, that doesn't happen to everyone.)

05wrxwagonnoob likes this.
  5. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Also remember, save your money and wait a bit longer to buy high quality parts initially and don't cheap out with Ebay junk just so you can bolt something on sooner. More times then not you will wish you bought higher quality to begin with and kick your own ass or have regrets.

GrumpyPitbull and ofspunk7 like this.
  6. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

take a screwdriver and stab a hole in your muffler with it if you want the sound.

Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  7. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

You can't be serious haha

8. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Super cereal lol

9. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

Where at? Anyone else care to chime in and tell me this is the worst decision of my life

10. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Dude are you F***ing kidding me? Just stop everything you're doing and thinking right now, slap yourself in the face then start doing research. I still love you though bro.

ofspunk7, 05wrxwagonnoob and Nhibbs like this.
  11. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I was kidding, it would be louder but would probably just sound like an exhaust leak.
    Just get that N1 catback for $200 mentioned above if you want the sound. It might drone in your wagon at highway speeds but whatever.
    Otherwise if you want to be picky about the sound and want one that doesn't drone too much do some research on youtube. People have video/audio clips of pretty much every catback/car combination you could want.
    As long as you don't swap downpipe yet you will not do any damage to your car and you wont need a tune.

12. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

ote="SCIFIDELITY, post: 724450, member: 4377"]Dude are you F***ing kidding me? Just stop everything you're doing and thinking right now, slap yourself in the face then start doing research. I still love you though bro.[/quote]
    Don

Don't worry man I wasn't planning on it hah

13. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hey, let's not knock on going the "cheap" route to achieve the exhaust rumbles...I'm still rocking a muffler delete/turn down on my stock catback...while at the same time I've spent thousands on the rest of car now lol. Sounds pretty decent...even though I did the turn down for weight savings.

The car was bone stock when I took this video...only removed the muffler and added the $50 turn down pipe (which I over paid for):

Nhibbs likes this.
  14. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

Honestly that dosent sound bad at all

15. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

That sounds good! You still have the resonators in there though right? The down turn does reduce volume a little bit too.
    I wonder if it would sound good on a GD. I feel like it would be a lot louder than that if I deleted my muffler...

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

That was stock downpipe and stock midpipe. It was plenty loud, esp under boost. Drone? Yup.

I would venture to guess that a GD chassis (02-07 wrx) would sound very similar and you could probably find a video on youtube.

17. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

When you say turn down pipe is there a muffler there or its just dumped facing the ground?

18. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

It can be with or without muffler, but usually it's just a pipe with no muffler that turns toward the ground where it ends, hence the name. Typically when I have seen downturn exhausts have been on track cars with no muffler. They are not nice looking, and are usually very loud, but are easy to swap for track use and are light and cheap.

19. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

True on the track comment and light weight, as for noise, I don't think its that loud with stock everything else....well muffled through the cats. On the GR bodies it hides well, on the GD, just buy exhaust. Exhausts are cheap now and if you're not picky as to how loud or quiet its easy to find them.

20. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Don't let this group scare you away. I've been here a long time and I've seen the good and the bad people both turn retarded at some point during their ownership of a Subaru. Thankfully I have not gone there yet. :)

They show nothing but love. They'll take care of you and give honest answers. Sometimes it is not the answers you want to hear but they are telling you from experience.

This group is a very different type of group. I can't speak for everyone but I feel that we are a big fudged up loving family.

We always welcome new people with open arms and we are not afraid to kick you the fudge out if we don't like you.

21. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Just make race car sounds with your mouth like you used to do when playing with Hot Wheels. Buy some Windex and paper towels to clean the spittle off the inside of your windshield periodically and you're good to go.

ofspunk7, 05wrxwagonnoob and Tash like this.
  22. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I went the muffler delete route...and I still throw on the stock muffler from time to time (keeps the gf happy). But it all depends on what you want for the car!

As Tash said, catbacks are cheap and easy to come by for the 02-07 wrx.

23. 05wrxwagonnoob

05wrxwagonnoob Member

I know they are easy to come by but for the time being I don't see why not. Will I get pulled over for how loud?
    But I do love the raspy rally sound it has to it. Cant get that from manny exhausts

24. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Yes a few

25. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

If you let us know what your looking for in an exhaust, I'm sure we can point you toward a few you can check into. We just need to know what your looking for in terms of volume, and if drone is a big deal to you (drone can be a problem in the wagon models).

But if you want loud and raspy, the Invidia N1 a guy offered to sell you earlier in the thread would work.

Tash likes this.
  26. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

the agency power one I offered is a lot better! It will make him sound like G-Damn Petter Solberg if a rally sound is what you want

:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The OP has a GD chassis...unless you have 2 exhausts for sale ;)

Tash likes this.
  28. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

shhhh!! :)

29. SCIFIDELITY

Well, let's not dismiss a hybrid approach of buying a new/ used exhaust (this agency power one or otherwise) then performing a muffler delete...unless the mid pipe won't even fit, in which case my joke failed.

30. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, bad idea for the street. Full catless, with full 3" turboback, and axleback delete is crazy loud. Might as well do open down pipe

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  31. SCIFIDELITY

LOL, just bolt on a catless downpipe and call 'er good. I like that a lot.