Catless DP w/ high flow cat welded in?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JesseJames, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I'm wondering if anyone has bought an aftermarket catless downpipe and then had a high flow cat welded in to create a custom catted DP? Any thoughts, opinions and/or past experiences are appreciated.

My current set up:
    I have an '05 Saabaru currently running Tanabe Super Hyper catback exhaust, Acessport running stage 2.

2. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Why not just buy a TurboXS Stealthback? You can find them used for fairly cheap and you'll have the option of running either a race pipe or a high flow cat. I ran that setup on my 02 wagon, it should mate up to your muffler (minus the catback pipe) as long as the muffler location is the same as stock which it likely is.

Otherwise, there are enough options out there for both catted and non catted DP's out there you shouldn't have to modify one. That being said, I can't imagine that it would cause any issues other than fitment if they don't get the flanges and dimensions right. Are you running the stage 2 map with the stock downpipe?

ofspunk7 likes this.
  3. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I am running my TurboXS stealth back for 2+ years now and zero issues.

4. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I have the Stealthback on two cars, one catted and one not. My only complaint is they hang a little low.

5. john

john Well-Known Member

I'm considering having a cat welded into my catback, as the car is just too damn loud. I've got a custom downpipe mated to a Perrin catback, with resonator.

6. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Shorty - I should clarify; My reasoning for this is to minimize cost while maximizing performance. I concur, there are amble choices to buy a new downpipe, both with and without a cat. However rather then spend upwards of $500-$600 for a new catted DP, I'm trying to determine if buying a used catless DP and purchasing my own highflow cat. would be a more cost effective way to get the desired result. Hence the post. None the less, thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the Turbo-XS stealthback, I literally just purchased (from this forum) a used Tanabe catback exhaust. So in my situation buying the Turbo XS stealthback system would be one step back but two steps forward.

7. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

It depends on where the Tanabe muffler bolts up. If it bolts up in the stock location and using the same flange, then the Stealthback will be a great choice as it goes from a 4in downpipe to a 3in midpipe all the way to the muffler. I paid 525 shipped for a used Stealthback that included both cat and race pipes as well as the TurboXS muffler (which sounds amazing, btw. I would have kept it but I already had a Prodrive muffler). Check around on Ebay, I'm sure you'll be able to find a similar deal. Play your cards right and you could probably even end up selling the Tanabe and coming out ahead on the deal.

8. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Can you cut/weld it yourself or know a competent person that can? Seems to me like you'd be at risk for fitment/alignment issues if not done spot on.

You may be better served finding a decent used unit either here or elsewhere on the WWW.