Clutchless shifting the 6spd

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Leo Severson, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Leo Severson

Leo Severson Member

Welp it might interest ya'll to know it has been almost 9 months and 15k since something has broke on my STI and the motor has been seasoned nicely. It will be getting another cobb access port next month for some map tunes and after I park it for this winter, hopefully next year it will be running on e85 with a twin scroll turbo. As far as the clutch and shifting goes, that new aftermarket clutch that was put in it was just stiff as all hell, it ended up getting easier as the tension in the new springs mellowed out. However, to those still wondering, I have continued with a combination of clutch and clutchless shifting. Now that the motor has broken in some and isn't as snappy on it's response, the clutchless downshifting is pretty easy too. Once I got a hang of the car it shifts perfectly fine without the clutch, though I still use the clutch on some hills because the gap between some of the gears is pretty big.

Mostly I came back to this site because it has come time for brakes and instead of paying $700 for just pads at the dealer I wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations for aftermarket brakes... though with the amount of sarcasm and general trolling on here I already know I wont get a response worth a damn, and will end up shooting my shot with some random amazon brake kit.

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure what kind of response you're looking for...

Congrats on not grenading your trans yet and preserving the cheapest part of the drive-train, and good luck with the random bakes... I'm sure the biggest part of the safety system in the car is a good place to skimp too.

Jerf and Nhibbs like this.
  3. Leo Severson

Leo Severson Member

Lol exactly the response I expected. Thanks for your helpful recommendation btw. It’s like the guy making the YouTube video with 15 min of why he’s making the video and then never showing you what the videos supposed to be of

4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Why do you need new brakes? You should just always clutchless downshift to engine brake to brakeless brake so you save your brakes and put even more wear on your synchros.

euro and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yes your posts are EXACTLY like a ****ty Youtube video where someone just talks a bunch of useless **** without any value.

6. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

You should expect it, then you should take a step back, read the replies and comments and realize your decision making is completely moronic at best.

If you want to go full pants on head, that's on you. I genuinely don't understand why you'd ever attempt to humble brag about not destroying your car yet.

7. Leo Severson

Leo Severson Member

Finally someone who gets it. I’m just $10,000 shy of the wind sail I plan to attach to the roof rack but by the time the alimony check hits she’ll be too rusty to install it.

Nhibbs likes this.
  8. Leo Severson

Leo Severson Member

What does humble brag mean?

9. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Now you are getting the hang of it!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

https://www.google.com/search?q=hum...android-razer&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The point they are making is that you came in here bragging about how by driving like a jackass and not using your clutch, you've managed not to put wear on the clutch, and now that you've settled into bad decision life hacks phase 1, that you're planning to cheap out on another car part. In this case, your brakes. But then you sort of pre-martyred yourself by predicting that your stupid decisions and irresponsible plans were going to draw expected ire from the other members, but under the guise of being completely above it and not caring what people think....a notion that was immediately shattered by you whining about Curly's predictable response.

euro and BroCo like this.
  11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Instead of posting a thread titled "The first time anyone has ever bought aftermarket brake pads", you dug this thread up, so we could all remind ourselves exactly who we were dealing with before we consider answering your next redundant question.

Krazylegz1485 and readymix like this.
  12. BAASaBOOS

BAASaBOOS Well-Known Member

So, I'm new to the thread, but what's the supposed benefit of clutchless shifting a Subaru manual? I'm about 110K into my first clutch (2005 Saabaru 92x Aero) and it ain't broke yet, but like an idiot I keep using my clutch.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  13. derp

derp Well-Known Member

You're doing it wrong.

Bugeyejake, euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

I am assuming you are clutchless shifting the 6 speed while vaping, & wearing a straight brimmed hat? If not, you should definitely start. But instead of inhaling the vape, just pretend like you are vaping to get the full "cool" effect while using your Ebay brake kit, that is not needed as well. Are you sure you didn't mean to sign up for MN Subiez? This sounds right up their alley!