Coating engine blocks (paint, anodize, powdercoat etc)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by euro, Dec 8, 2020.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

General question about coating subaru ej blocks. I would like to paint the heads and block before finishing the rebuild of the two ej222s I'm working on but I haven't ever painted aluminum engine parts.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I go about it?

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

POR 15, get the kit for aluminum$60 ish, use per instructions after block / heads are hot tanked. Make sure to use a high quality masking tape to all gasket surfaces.

euro likes this.
  3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Follow up question then, any recommendations on places to hot tank in mn? I'm north of the cities by about 45 minutes

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I've used duplicolor engine enamel on many aluminum engine parts with decent luck.

And I love POR15 on most of my car projects, I use it on brake calipers all the time, so it should hold up to EJ22 heat.

As always with paint, it's all in the prep and IMO no EJ22 is worth that much labor.

Krazylegz1485 and euro like this.
  5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I actually have some 4/2 pots i'll be painting as well. The EJ22 is going in my 71 vw fastback so i'm cool with a little extra tlc to make it awesome.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

A few maintenance parts, and it'll be as awesome as it will ever be. I wouldn't remove the heads, much less split the block. Just my $.02

euro and tangledupinblu like this.