Control arm recall

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by scotty, Sep 12, 2011.

1. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

Have not got mine yet and I fall in the VIN range. But I did get the offer to extend my power train warranty

2. mosho93

mosho93 Active Member

Letter came today. Going to try and stop by the dealership before the holidays.

3. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

Can any dealership complete this recall or does it have to be done at a subaru dealership? Before everyone goes crazy about this question, I am 60+ miles from a subaru dealership. Thanks

4. dark_stalker

dark_stalker Well-Known Member

Is it free to take it in since its a recall or you'll have to pay?

5. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure, however I would think more than likely you'll have to bring it to a certified Subaru dealership. ^ Also from my understanding the recall should be fully covered.

6. mosho93

mosho93 Active Member

According to the letter, it's fully covered...

7. svxninja

Speaking of recalls, I recently just got my car back in late August 2011. But anyways can I just call the dealership to see if the gas smell/ fuel line recall to see if it has been preformed on my vehicle in the past? Because I still smell it. Thanks

8. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

DOH! Thanks Bielke. My dad told me it was for the outback but I just read it and it isn't. My bad. Will check to see if the RS falls into this category.

9. 2002WrX

2002WrX Well-Known Member

Yep just call and they can look it up using the vin, I bought mine in august of 2010 and did the same thing.

10. svxninja

did they still honor it?

11. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

well my sister brought her car in to be checked, and they were full but they told her the way they fix it is by knocking off rest of the coating thats on the control arms and then recoat it.. this sounds like a load of **** might be better off buying new control arms and getting rembursed

12. svxninja

must of thought she was a diy kind of person.

13. 2002WrX

Yep, as long as the recall hasn't been done on the car they have to do it no matter what cuz it's a saftey issue. If they look it up and it's been done already they obviously won't do it again, for free that is.

14. svxninja

Ya I hear ya maybe I should call.

15. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Yup call them up I have been waiting since mine don't look bad but Subaru must know cuz they sent me a second notice of the recall today lol

16. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Completely wrong.

You use a center punch, if it makes a hole you replace. If it doesnt, you undercoat it and rust proof it. I havent seen anything older than 2004 pass the test.

Bielke55 and readymix like this.
  17. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

just scheduled mine for the wrx. good timing. I have a wheel bearing that will be replacement shortly before so hopefully my control arms are bad and they do an alignment.

as per the fuel smell recall someone asked about. Mine was just performed last winter on my '02. It smelled terrible and as long as it hasn't been done they shouldn't have an issue as mentioned above.

18. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

lol I JUST pm'd you about the letter I got in the mail from subaru regarding the 02, they must still think I own it. That fuel smell was terrible, I can't believe I went through so many years of smelling it.

19. atacamaR

weird, i got a letter too, heh.

well after a while the fumes were probably telling you not to get it done...

the car will be getting a few upgrades soon. i added new springs this summer, has new summer wheels, and i'll be putting in a dp, boost control solenoid, uppipe and a tune in the next few weeks. the parts are all ordered.

20. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I got my letter the other day. I picked my Forester up just this summer and registered my VIN on the subaru website soon after purchase. I mainly did it so I can get a Subaru Badge of Ownership. I believe that's how they knew to add me to the recall mailing.

21. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Got my letter Friday, no appointments available until mid January...

22. 054eatwagon

054eatwagon Well-Known Member

got my letter as well

23. STiM

STiM Well-Known Member

mines set up for the 19th of January!

24. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

the vin range may have already been posted but whats the range that is effected? id like to take my car in and see if they can do it because i have moved so many times i am worried that the letter will get lost in the mail.

25. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

We bought the '04 XT from a Ford dealership, and we got the notice in the mail a few days ago.

26. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

If it fails inspection can I get the control arms and install them myself? I need to do ball joints and tie rod ends eventually, this would be a good time to knock that out.

27. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

I am so glad that you guys are on top of this! I just sent my brother a message regarding the bad control arms, I hope he can take my 02 WRX in and get this issue fixed! I don't want my little niece at risk (or anyone else) if these failed! Once again, MNSubaru forums save the day for me! haha

28. AWDimprezaL

No, it needs to be inspected by a dealer, using special tools. It doesn't cost you a dime, why wouldnt you just let the dealer do it? If your car needs control arms they come with ball joints IN them.

29. atacamaR

is it only the control arms or do they look at/replace the front subframe? mine is in terrible shape. if not i'm going to probably have to have it replaced as it doesn't look safe at all.

30. JasonoJordan

Only reason i can think of is maybe he wants whiteline ball joints or something a little better then oem

On another note going in to get mine check out at 4 today.

31. 2002WrX

Had my appointment for the recall today, mine were fine and I was only there for a half hour. The service writer said the recall is a waste of time in his opinion cuz they haven't had to replace any yet.

32. JasonoJordan

mine was also fine and the service writer told me the same thing that at walser they have yet to replace any lol

33. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

Which dealership did you go to? My appt is feb 14th, just called the other day. Doing my 90k and 105k at the same time! Nice hefty payment that's gonna be lol.

34. 2002WrX

Miller hill Subaru in Duluth. I live up on the iron range (Hibbing) so that's the closest dealership to me.

35. LawnMaster

LawnMaster Well-Known Member

A better approach would be to tell customers; "Thank you for taking the time to have our expert service tech inspect your car to make sure you are safe. We value your life."

36. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

I got a letter and plan to have mine checked out.

37. AWDimprezaL

I would say that more than half of the cars we see need replacement arms.

38. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

If that's the deal, that's fine with me. I just usually handle all of my own labor. The car has been apart so many times it's as easy as getting dressed.

39. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

i spoke with Morries BP yesterday and the service writer said he'll call me back in January for an appointment and that they have replaced very few so far.

40. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Our service and techs are busy with these because they are replacing 1 out 3 cars. We had a forester that the punch tool went right through, and left a quarter size hole in the rust.

41. atacamaR

i asked a few posts up but I'll ask again. Is it only the control arm or are they looking at the subframe (u shaped subframe piece as well). that part on my wrx is heavily corroded, crushed in parts, and i can stick my finger through parts of it. I'll have to have that replaced as i don't think it's safe. the rest of the car is pretty clean and the control arms don't look too bad. It's just this part that looks terrible.

here is the part i'm referencing. (this isn't my part)
    [​IMG]

42. Bielke55

This is what i'm taking about, this one failed before the tech used any tools...

[​IMG]

43. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

Does subaru honer this recall until all vehicles have had it performed or is there a time frame where you would need to get this done by? Not suggesting it, but could somebody wait until their control arms are bad enough to get replaced and then go in to get new arms and ball joints for free?

44. Bielke55

Dont quote me please... But as far as I know once the recall has been started and open for a vehicle, It can only be closed by completing the recall. No real timeframe

45. atacamaR

why risk having it file at highway speeds??? :facepalm: sounds like a gamble to me.

trouble would be telling when the part is bad enough. apart from testing or close inspection it would be hard to tell.