Cooper winters

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Cotts612, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Hey all. Looking for winters for my 18 outback. Current tire size is 225/60/18, but 18 inch winter tires are kinda stupid expensive, not to mention another set of rims. So, I'm thinking I'll go the way of some 225/65/17, since they pretty much identical in size.

Tires I'm looking at are Cooper Discover true north. Anyone have any experience with these, or Cooper winters in general? I think these are a fairly new tire because Tire Rack doesn't have their ratings on them yet. Thanks!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Get General’s. You will thank me! I picked up mine a few years ago for $480 mounted and balanced from discount tire. Love them, especially with the price. But the performance are great too on the BRZ

Cotts612 and pinjasaur like this.
  3. Cotts612

I'll look into them!

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

https://generaltire.com/tires/winter/altimax-arctic-12

These are along the lines of what I picked up. Check with Discount Tire. They run some deals on them usually.

Also, I run 16” winters. So they are a little cheaper than the 17’s. I would only run 17’s or bigger if I had an STi and needed to clear Brembos. 15’s or 16’s are moar better for winters.
    D7F19833-524E-4870-937C-ACFB641BD4AE.jpeg

euro and pinjasaur like this.
  5. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

I had General Altimax Arctics on an 08 Outback for all 3 winters I owned it. Had a good experience too.

6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I hate to spoil the party, but we had General Altimax Arctics on my mother-in-law's 2010 Ford Escape (we drove it regularly when she went into assisted living). As they wore, they got noisy. I hated driving on the freeway with that car in the winter. Our 2013 Escape wears Michelin Ice-X and I like them a lot.

If you're in the west or south metro, try Samaritan Tire - they are a Tire Rack installer and in the past have matched Tire Rack's prices.

7. Cotts612

I don't think I could run 16's on my Outback, that would be a lot of sidewall. It would be a cheaper though.

I've heard good things about Samaritan tire. I'll check them out, thanks!

pillboy likes this.
  8. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Would also recommend Samaritan, ha.

Cotts612 likes this.