Curly's "Interesting" Re-intro to Subaru

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by curly2k3, Oct 4, 2010.

1. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

yeah man, that'd be awesome if he did and would let it go, it'd save me on shipping new stuff here. a whole swap out might be the ideal thing is what I was thinking last night, takes out any chances left by the previous owner.

2. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

yessir! ditch that setup. you have to go for a ride.... lol

3. curly2k3

hahaha, I will have to see where funds are at before I could do something silly like your's again Fuji

4. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

Chris let me know if that OBS would help you out. I will be free this weekend if your able to get back up here.

5. curly2k3

yeah I'll keep you posted, I gotta sell a paintball gun to pick that up off you now, since the past week has ended up costing me quite a bit more than it should've.

6. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

I've got some ultra high performance 22T heads sitting around :laugh:

7. curly2k3

lmfao, loss of performance... or loss of oil... tough choice really.

8. xBrian

xBrian Well-Known Member

What forum did this transaction originate on?

9. curly2k3

Nasioc, I still need to go post there and probably deal with some stuff on there. I never honestly even thought to look on RS25, because I didn't remember by log in info. It all originated looking for a car for my buddy out in Boston, since he wanted a WRX/Impreza RS, so I was browsing for him, and found that more local to myself.

10. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale... Trade for your car?

11. curly2k3

I got the same offer from a nigerian prince earlier...

12. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

:)

come on... local trade!

This sucks very badly, but it will all turn out for the best in the end. He doesn't know it but his misdeeds will yeild him bad karma. Probably something like ED. And you'll have a car that you know inside and out.

13. curly2k3

True, this will decimate all AFTER about fifteen grand in it or more, and if we have to, overnight parts from Jaaaapaaaaan. I plan to just put it on my tab at Harry’s.

14. WRXCarl

WRXCarl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. curly2k3

I thought it was funny

16. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

"2jz, no ****...."

17. curly2k3

if you guys haven't realized it yet, I am trying to keep laughing at the stuff I can, and not get overly pissed off and what not about all this.

18. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

staying positive is a must.

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

hey man, really sorry to hear about the car. I had a terrible experience when I was younger when I got a 99 alero...seriously the worst car ever built. The day I totaled it, was the best day of that car's life!

btw, I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but didn't he say in his rs25 ad that the car was smoking and that he was too lazy to replace the heads? Did he not mention that on Nasioc??

also...did you trade a saab 92x aero, aka saabaru? should have kept that!

regardless, good luck with everything and I hope that it works out at a minimal cost.

20. curly2k3

there was a dialogue that more or less stated that the new turbo also seemed to have rectified the issue, as well as his father checking the valves and seals when the heads were off the old 20G block before it was put on the 20K block, hence why I wasn't aaaaaasssss concerned.

it was a 9-5 btw, not the saabaru

21. curly2k3

Well, I acquired a compression checker today, so... depending on what time I get back down to the car, I will find out how deep the damage probably is.

22. Munky King

Munky King Well-Known Member

How bad is it?
    What was the compression like?

23. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

So how are things looking? Have you made any more progress?

24. curly2k3

I've had exams, so I haven't had a chance to do the compression check

25. curly2k3

I had an overly busy week, but managed to track down another set of EJ20G heads that should be on their way within a week or so. So, either way I pull out the block and replace those, if the compression is bad, that gets rebuilt or replaced too I suppose.

26. curly2k3

I plan to work on it tonight (ie compression check and starting to dismantle it all in the bay). I will post the numbers then, just so we can all have an idea on how deep the damage is.

New set of EJ20G heads are in transit to me from SoCal, and should be here saturday or monday. Assuming the worst, I have also sourced an 05 STI 2.5 block, 11mm STI oil pump, water pump to match, and all the required pulleys and tensioners.

27. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

Got my fingers crossed for you man! Hope it is not as bad as it sounds.

28. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

+1 here, hope it turns out for the best!

29. curly2k3

It'll all pan out in the end, just got to get it to that point.

30. Munky King

Let us know if there's any specific extra parts you need. I have a garage full of 'treasures' again - some might be useful. I'm sure others will be willing to help out too.

31. curly2k3

thanks again guys, believe it or not, i've spent the past hour trying to find my extensions, since the only smaller spark plug socket I have, is apparently an inch too short with the extension on it.

its one of those things, where absolutely nothing seems to want to go my way

32. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

I hear you man, I wish i Lived in your area. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand!

33. curly2k3

I think I'll either grab a bunch of tools from my buddy, or just bring back a bunch when I come back from work this weekend

34. curly2k3

I figure I should post in here, since 3rik has already posted on Facebook about it.

Compression check had cylinder 1 a bit on the lower side, but the plugs look horrid and I've started to find and notice other...ugh... "quirks" from the build that are a bit disheartening and worrisome.

So, after thinking about it, quite a bit actually, and talking to Bikerboy yesterday at the dyno day, I've decided to go a new route and redo the engine situation.

I have a EJ257 on the way, with a new 11mm oil pump, new water pump, ect... that block will get new bearings, pistons and rods over winter. So, now I am either picking up some 205, B25, or D25 heads to toss on, along with a new harness and ECU (have to source these last 3 yet) so that the car can be more easily tuned.

With that said, my buddy wants all my old goodies, so we'll rebuild it all and toss the merged harness and STi ecu in his car, and go from there.

At this point, the GC8 will be a garage queen over winter, and hopefully in the spring it'll be all done and putting down bigger numbers with more piece of mind.

35. Mr. Derek

Mr. Derek Well-Known Member

Sounds like a solid plan. What turbo?

36. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Sounds like another Chris project. I predict a for sale thread before long.

37. curly2k3

haven't decided on a turbo yet, I don't think I want to use this 3576, as that'd be way overkill and I have no interest to go that big. likely a 20g is all or something along those lines.

3rik, thanks, I'll make sure to let you know if I do that, dick.

38. AWDimprezaL

I'm just sayin, you dream big. Ive yet to see you complete a project.

39. curly2k3

alrighty then. its not like its always in my control either. the datsun for example, i have had 4, yes 4 240sx's lined up to purchase/pick up as donor cars for the last bit's I'd need for my chassis parts (recall Jason took the from suspension, so the car is inoperable), but flakey sellers deciding not to sell, or simply no longer communicating period (3 of the 4) makes it hard to acquire the parts I needed.

want to go back to the impreza? I changed my mind, a number of times, we all know this. but I also came in and bought a lot of new parts, built the blocks, ect... I had the car where I liked it (in NA form) and got a good offer and decided to sell it, this was mostly in part to the coilovers and corbeau quite literally starting to hurt my back and neck every time I drove the car. So, I sold it and picked up the Saab that night, I drove it for a year and a half, putting in a diverter valve, never claiming to want to do more than a stage 3 flash and exhaust at most.

The SVX? I started to neglect the desire to build this, when I picked up the OBS as a daily driver, getting 2x the mpg's and running cheaper gas was quite enticing. I had that car basically where I wanted it too, short of boosted with a built short block. at the time, there was no real great solution to the EM problem, the Nur Spec exhaust I had built for the car had also been getting me in a lot of trouble (I imagine you can recall how loud that would get at speed). So the car went to a weekend driver over summer, and eventually was stored until someone wanted to buy it.

What other cars would you want to refer to? I had a 1949 Plymouth Convertible... I rebuilt that car's engine and transmission, got it actually running, replaced all the floors in the entire car, refinished the frame, and prepped it for paint before my father offered to buy it off me to put a Hemi in it and turn it. This was more than fine to me, I had a ton of time into the car, and learned a lot, and had fun in the process. But something that large and old, seemed like a poor choice for a daily driver, and the thought of door dings and idiots parking by it scared me if I had finished it all off the way I intended. So I sold the car to him, and got the SVX.

Not sure what other projects were dreamed big, and never went with. 2 cars now in a "project" state, life happens. During all this, I have always been a full time student, helped others build their projects, worked, and played competitive paintball that consumed most of my time and money.

But you're right, it'll never come to fruition.

40. WRXCarl

WRXCarl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

41. curly2k3

I'm just saying, god forbid I move on to something else, or had my time and money occupied with something else. its not like there are other cars on this site and in this group that are "built" but really, aren't quite finished even after years. Its not like I stated OMFG, this will be on the road thursday guys with all new stuff!

It hasn't been the most appealing situation to deal with since the first 130 miles of ownership, and I have a plan in mind and have every intent to see it through, but I'm also not going to go take out a loan to build it on a whim either.

42. AWDimprezaL

Yes, all those cars. However, I was playing around, but apparently it does get you a bit upset to talk about them. Sarcasm on the internet doesnt really come out well.

I dont WANT you to give up on THIS project, In fact, I want you to have a car that does almost everything you want, you deserve it.

43. curly2k3

Ah, well then thanks. I should be able to keep this updated as things come in (or out i suppose). With that said, I'm sure we'll be able to BS about this all in person, because I'm bound to need parts.

44. curly2k3

sourced an entire harness and ecu combo from a 2005 WRX Limited that will be graphed into the GC8, just gotta pick up the heads and an intake manifold and I will have basically all the components for the new swap and build.

the ej257 will be honed .20 over (99.75 bore) with new pistons, rods, and bearings and then assembled. these will be the things that will be done over winter most likely, just taking them in as they come.

45. Munky King

Hey don't sweat it, I've had cars I haven't finished, cars that are never finished (kitcars x4 there's always something you could have done better) and then the mrs got pregnant...
    Then there was an MR2 I had recently what an acher!
    I do have a current fun toy that will probably not see the road any time soon... Due to my new son :)