Curly's "Interesting" Re-intro to Subaru

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by curly2k3, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Munky King

Munky King Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My project that probably won't be finished till my son can drive (he's one) but I will finish it, if only to prove my uncle wrong (when you get kids you'll never get time to finish that sort of stuff). :)
    Prove all the doubters wrong and not only finish it but do a great job! But most of all have fun with it and make new friends!

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'm not too concerned about it, like I said. I know it'll get done, and I stated it likely wont be done till spring anyway. The Datsun is another story, that needs a lot of love, but needs another donor before it an make any real progress.

3. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

my car has been a LONG TIME project. Keep at it and study hard! You'll get the parts you need.

4. curly2k3

hopefully some fun ones like D25 heads ;)

5. curly2k3

Alright, so a new set of STi EJ20G heads had come, and are gone to the new owner already (Bill you owe me money, btw. haha)

And with that said, new parts have started to trickle in. I was quite happy when my giant foam cup box showed up today... the mail woman couldn't understand it, she was just pissed that she hauled the box up to the door. This is what I was giddy for.

[​IMG]

This is the start of something that makes me happy.

[​IMG]

More 05 WRX Limited harness!

[​IMG]

If you look close, you can see the pretty little B7 ECU lingering by paintball crap.

[​IMG]

I still need to sort out what each plug is, and where abouts they'll need to go, but its a fun start. I also know that the EJ257 is in transit and due any time... then I'll have the new oil pump, water pump, block to tear down, ect... slowly but surely, it is starting to take shape.

6. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

putting forged pistons in that 257 right? you better

7. curly2k3

yes, bore it over, forged pistons and maybe forged rods (haven't decided on that yet). might as well do it right the first time, right?

8. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

Chris let me know if you need help identifying any of those connections or diagrams. I can prolly tell you what most of them are from memory having just played that game haha

9. curly2k3

diagrams would be great if you have them... my bookmarks were all deleted apparently when the computer decided to revert settings on me last week, so I lost all of them I had saved from a site.

10. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

I have the ESM's for '04, '05, '06 Impezas (STi, base, WRX) and the 99/97 ESM's if want those, I even printed out the wiring diagram and put it in a binder if you want to borrow that. I can also come over sometime to help if you need any with the wiring if you don't live too far away. Your harness looks 10 times better than mine, mine wasn't taped and had broken wires, so you're already off to a good start! :)

Let me know,
    Shawn

11. curly2k3

I'd much appreciate the files, or borrow that binder. The wiring is quite clean, I only saw two cut wires, and one clip that looks melted. having ghe brackets and everything is really nice as well.

I'll probably do the same thing I always do, pull the harness tight, wrap it all nice and solidly before I even lay it in the car. After wires cut under my carpet and almost burned the wagon down (old camo car) I don't even want to take a chance, and it'll look cleaner all said and done, even if I can't see it, the piece of mind is there. Piece of mind seems to be my common thread of logic behind the entire build at this point. haha

12. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

That looks like a lot of fun [​IMG]

13. curly2k3

Wiring doesnt scare me anymore, its just time consuming always. Way to bust out the dodgy on me, Ben.

If I can get heads and an intake sorted out, all that would be left would more or less be sensors, pistons, and boring the block.

14. curly2k3

Block showed up, I still haven't rehosted pictures to post. lol

still waiting on the accessory pulleys and pump to show up for the 257, since they were paid for.

need heads still, head gaskets, bearings, pistons, ect... I've basically been too busy with school and dealing with other crap to find time to tear down the block even. I'm aiming to keep the rest of the build sub $2k, and I still have ALL my old swap too, which will go in the gf4 daily driver wagon if no one steps up and buys it.

15. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

Dooooo it!!! That thing has yearned for some power since we first got it. Though disabling your DD does make things difficult.

16. curly2k3

eh, the harness is all merged and everything, and I have new heads for that swap already. I could literally tear it out of the old car, rebuild it, and have it ready to drop in over a weekend or so, perks to having it all in a car already I suppose. haha

17. curly2k3

Finally seem to be getting back in build mode (thanks to the nicer weather last week) and found a new dash set up (complete) that I got really cheaply and should be here relatively soon. With that said, it looks like all I will be missing now is heads for the new block and misc accessories. I am still debating getting different block halves and using a stock sized piston, but it shouldn't be too much more just to punch it out to spec and go 100mm pistons.

The various buyers I had for the old swap seemed to have all fallen by the wayside, so I suppose the most logical thing to do is just toss it into the wagon after the new swap is in the sedan.

18. curly2k3

well, accessory pulleys and pump that were paid for never showed up... and paypal did nothing for me. so I chalked those up as a loss.

bought an entire GD dash, cluster, controls, bar, ect... set up, STILL waiting for those as well, gotten a lot of excuses about why it hasn't shipped yet, even tho it was paid for over two months ago.

picked up a set of B25 heads, those will be ported and polished and I just need to acquire the cam's to plug, caps and covers for those.

also picked up an upper glass spoiler for the GC8 (HIC iirc made it originally), thats already on the car, just kinda helped tie what I wanted theme wise together on the car. I'll have to port over the pic to photobucket from facebook and take a few new pics of it too (cell pics arent too incredible ever).

just thought it was worth a small update, I also removed my window tint, because I don't want stupid tickets. lol

19. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I'd stop buying used stuff you can't touch before you buy. Some people just have a knack for getting screwed on that kind of thing.

20. Jackstand

Jackstand Well-Known Member

That sucks big time chris sorry to hear that

21. curly2k3

yeah, all seemed to go well, and he had good feedback, so I didn't think much of it. its annoying that stupid crap like this keeps happening, its getting old.

22. curly2k3

apparently, the dash set up is going out next week (I've been told this a few times now, however), so that'll be one less thing to worry about reaquiring when the new swap takes place.

with that said, I should be able to pull my current jdm set up out this week, as I should have a hoist tonight, and rebuild that and get it back in within a fairly reasonable amount of time. I plan to basically drive and abuse the current set up and get to know the car a bit better. I'll be building the block as I have spare time this summer, and will likely end up sourcing a new trans set up as well, as the stock jdm wrx tranny would likely grenade itself with the 257's tq.

just thought I would toss out the update, since I just got word that I'll have the hoist tonight. might have to invest in some beer and really crank out some time on it tomorrow after my exam in the morning.

23. curly2k3

Got the hoist a week after the last update, but things haven't progressed all that much really.

The more I've dug into the car the more I've realized the previous owner was a ****ing moron. I rebuilt the entire steering column assembly (loose nuts and bolts, yay for safety).

I've also taken a good look at the heads I bought (less than 30k km on them, so I pounced) which were said to be 1 bolt coil pack versions from a late EJ20G STi, they were also "complete". now that I did inventory on them and looked at them after starting all the cleaning and prep process, I noticed that they are the 2 bolt coil pack variants, I'm also missing a cam seal, as well as the oil feed tube (which is different from the two heads mind you, for god knows what reason).

I also have yet to receive the dash I paid for back in Feb because of a "shipping error".

This is all on top of me finding incorrect bolt sizes numerous times, rusted out exhaust manifold-up pipe bolts, disconnected vac lines, and a struggle to find the NGK's GarageTuning switched to for the 320hp tune (finally found them in stock for less than $10 a pop after 2 hours of looking around and literally the LAST auto parts store in Kato).

I've also realized that the clutch is likely in there incorrectly, and would explain the pedal travel, errrr or rather lack there of. The pin for the fork is also completely locked in place.

Needless to say, I am losing faith and interest after hundreds upon hundreds of dollars and countless trips for random tools that shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Considering neither swap seems to want to pan out and I haven't been able to drive it since before snow fell last year, the thought of a part-out or sale of ALL of it is really crossing my mind. I might take the hit and just buy a stupid GD WRX or something.

24. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

There is a lot going for the GD chassis, although there are tradeoffs compared to the GC in the weight department.

Good luck whichever way you go Chris, I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

25. curly2k3

Yeah, I personally like the GC more, but this car has me just frustrated and annoyed more than anything. Since day one its just been stressful, and there really hasn't been a point where it hasn't been.

26. curly2k3

Still haven't received the GD dash, thus supposedly getting a refund, have my doubts.
    Decided to likely sell off all the new GD Swap parts.
    Dowel rod was removed, this allowing the clutch fork and throwout to be free.
    Engine was pulled from the car.
    Engine bay was cleaned.
    Clutch fork and pin have been completely cleaned.
    Clutch issues have been figured out and sorted out.
    Still haven't gotten confirmation about the new heads (STI possible RA variants is only new info).
    Toyed with the idea of upgrading to 05 STI Coilpacks.
    Decided to likely sell the car, pay off debt, go visit the girlfriend in Australia and possibly buy a Lotus Europa.

Basically that's where its all at now, progress, but uncertainty.

27. Robgrover

Robgrover Member

Good thing one of you buddies has a, and I quote:

"Big Dumb Hick truck"

You need to get it all done by the time I get home so I can Burrow it for awhile.......

28. SeanKelly

SeanKelly Member

Good thing you know someone to get your dowel pin out..

And Grover, good thing you know someone to fix the breaks on your old dumb hick truck

29. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

come on.... gotta Finish a Subaru some day....
    Quit buying already modded cars.
    Buy mine? lol jk

You still got them B25 heads?

30. curly2k3

yep I do, they're sitting just outside my room as we speak.

31. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

how close am I to pay a visit to them?

32. curly2k3

they're down here in Mankato, I could bring them to EP

33. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Dude, that is some **** you have gone through. Hopefully you get everything figured out/ fixed up/ and running strong for a very very long time. I know the feeling, my damn car has been in the shop for over a year with a blown engine. I will never purchase a Subaru ever again...

34. curly2k3

Yeah, its more the annoyance and money lost from bought parts that were never shipped, or things not being what they were supposed to be. Its been a long headache, but I figure I can sell off all the new swap parts I bought and get enough cash for my flight to Australia to visit the girlfriend in the spring then I'll just work on the old swap and rebuild the entire car (as I have been).