CV Boot Leak

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pillboy, Jan 23, 2016.

1. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 Legacy GT with 67,xxx miles. When I put on my snow tires in November and did my usual under-car inspections, I noticed that the inner CV boot on both front axles were weeping a little grease from the “small” end of the boot. A close inspection showed no cracks in the “valleys” of the boot accordions and no tears or other damage to the boots.

Is it possible to cut off the existing clamps, put on new ones, crimp them tight with the proper tool and have the boot seal better around the axle shaft, while on the car?

It seems wasteful and premature to just wait it out for the joints to make noise and end up replacing both axle units.

Thanks.

2. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

If the boots aren't damaged, I believe a crimp type CV boot fitting should do it. The band and tools are pretty cheap to get from a Napa or something.

3. pillboy

Thanks. I see the tool is rather inexpensive. I was wondering if any of the locals have had any degree of success with this type of repair.

4. blobwagon14

blobwagon14 New Member

had the same problem on my 04 wrx, what I did is bought a boot kit and just replace the boot, clamps and the grease inside.

5. pillboy

Thanks, but I was hoping to not pull this all apart to replace the boots. I was hoping to have a shop perform whatever repair will take care of the problem - I was kind of hoping to minimize the wallet damage. My days of working on greasy, rusty repairs that are better done with a hoist, air wrench, or torch are behind me.

blobwagon14 likes this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

7. pillboy

Thanks again, but my boots are good even though they are 10 years old. I was originally asking about replacing only the clamps withOUT removing the axles from the car and replacing the boots. I was wondering if anyone local had done that and had any success with it. I'm guessing the hardest part would be getting the old clamps off without damaging the boot.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea, my bad. I realized that you were only looking to replace the clamp right after I posted that lol. Hopefully a shop can just replace the clamp...but honestly, the boot is probably pretty old and will be prone to tearing soon anyway, so it will probably be best to just replace the boot.