Debating the Forester or STi wagon

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SkeetsWisconny, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Don't knock it until you try it ;)

2. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Not my style ;)
    Unless something else AWD, affordable, and can produce some pretty decent performance with decent mileage than I will end up with an STi or Forester XT(i?)

3. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Save up 5g's on the side with those choices.

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Lolwut? No way you have your head that far up your ass that you can't come up with other choices given your criteria. which, by the way, is incredibly generic and represented by at least 1 model by just about every major manufacturer.

Just say it. Its ok. It might even be cathartic. "I want subaru. Because reasons."

5. SkeetsWisconny

Daaaaang Nuke is it reeeally that bad, hmm...
    There certainly are a lot of vehicles out there but I will admit that I'm quite particular in what I want. Being that I am more familiar with Subarus and appreciating what they bring to the table I am naturally geared to lean the "Subaru" way. Earlier I offered input about vehicles so perhaps you have some specific vehicles you'd like to share and I'll share with you my opinion on those vehicles. Apparently your opinion of my vehicle critieria is general so it should make it easy for you?

So do you or anyone else have any vehicles that you'd like to share that possess: AWD, visually attractive/sporty, are affordable, can produce good power 300whp'ish, and have good handling or the ability to improve over handling easily ALL while not breaking the bank and maintaining decent mpg's? I would certainly look into a Cayenne Turbro 05/06'ish but the mileage is too poor for my preference. I appreciated that individual sharing their idea. I appreciate constructive ideas and information not attitudes and assumptions.

6. idget

Yes, a proper rebuilt will cost $3k and up depending on what is damaged. If it's just replacing the pistons, you have all the tools on hand, and you do all the work yourself, you could get it done for closer to $1k in parts (pistons, gaskets, fluids). It's rarely that simple though.

Define affordable (what's your budget? 25k?). Define decent mpgs (20+mpg mixed?). Define "good handling" and ability to improve handling. i.e. how much do you want to put into suspension to make it "sporty." Define visually attractive/sporty... wait no, don't because you think a Forester/sti are attractive.

It's clear that you aren't really as open to other options as you'd like to make it out to be and that's fine. Just own it. No need for all the foreplay sweetheart.

7. idget

short list off the top of my head of used 300ish hp, 20+mpg awd sedans under 8 years old and under $25k... open it up to coupes, wagons, crossovers, etc... and the list keeps going.
    evo
    335xi
    535xi
    s4
    rs4
    a6 (pretty much any motor/trim)
    v70 (pretty much any motor/trim)
    g35x
    g37x
    cts
    sts
    is350
    gs350
    RL

8. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks and before I add more criteria allow me to apologize for not specifying more before. With that, let me add that I will only consider purchasing a vehicle with less than 40,000 miles preferably much less and I prefer to buy a newer vehicle (2010+) Obviously this greatly affects cost which greatly influences by selection. I've got a lot of thinking and research to do.

9. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Check out the Ford Explorer Sport. Twin turbo 3.5L V6. 0-60 in 6 seconds!

10. SkeetsWisconny

That is impressive! Pretty decent mileage too! The newer Explorer (2011+) is a top candidate for my wife's next car... but I'm up first ;)

BroCo likes this.
  11. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks for the info.
    Budget will be around 25k mark in some time, but naturally would prefer to spend less - also depends on what I decide on and taking in aftermarket parts into consideration which will vary with the vehicle I decide on. Decent mpgs; 22mpg+ minimum mixed. "Good handling" meaning without having to put too much money and modifications from stock setup - I'm not looking to heavily modify suspension (or motor for that matter) to fill this desire. Ex: If I bought an STi I would throw a stiffer sway bar(s) get a custom alignment and call it "good handling" for me. If I purchased a Forester I'd do the same but also look into upgrading struts & possibly springs. Naturally, I have no idea how a lot of other vehicles would compare without driving them. Again, a lot research to do and test drives to perform. Sorry for being not being as specific as you wanted me to be. Apparently you are not a fan of the STi or Forester's looks. I respect your opinion but disagree. Wasn't a huge fan of the Forester XT's looks but it has grown on me since seeing some with the sport grill, front spoiler/bumper addition, upgraded wheels, and exhaust.

It's apparently clear to you... I am open to other vehicles but admittedly bias due to my familiarity, experience, and appreciate of my Subaru. If i wasn't open to other vehicles I wouldn't have asked for anyone's input if they have any other vehicles ideas they would like to brainstorm.... sweetheart? :rolleyes:

12. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Lol, what do you call a busted piston on a new subaru?

yesterday's news

13. SkeetsWisconny

Yikes... 08/09+?? All models?? If it's that bad why isn't there a recall ?

Maybe I'll look for one that has already had it's pistons replaced, haha:bounce:..... :(