Dirty Jack-o-Lantern RallyCross Discussion and Smack-talk Thread

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Vector, Oct 6, 2008.

1. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting the results up. I'm still happy with my 123.444 run in the afternoon. I wish I would have been a bit faster in the morning, but overall I'm happy with my improvement during the day.

I just spent the evening popping the beads on my tires and cleaning out a season's worth of dirt out of there and reseating them. One of them was starting to leak. Man I packed a lot of dirt in there.

Next season should be great. We'll see what kind of improvements I can make to my car, probably not much more than a new set of tires.

2. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

once we get the traction issues sorted out i want to go to a 2.5 liter motor. that would give us almost 40 more HP and TQ.

ultimately i want to have one of those fancy dave clark 4.44 final drive awd subaru transmissions that he has helped convert to FWD.

3.70 FD for the loss.:(

3. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

that can get you a huge improvement. especially if you can have them on a spare set of wheels so you dont have to worry about driving home on the wheels you are competing on.

4. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

Looking at the results... at least I was getting better (but still slow...) as the day went on... except for the last one, where I really, really screwed up (kicked the brake rather than the clutch while shifting up into 2nd, among other things).

It's like I had it completely backwards... was going really slow on the straights, and was too fast for my tires to keep up in the corners.

I really think I would benefit from getting a shift light and setting it to 5500 or so... mostly because, I am leery of bouncing off the fuel cut, and have no idea what my car sounds like at 3500+ ('cause I don't wind it out on the street). That, and the torque curve drops off somewhere around there... So rather than finding myself on a straight going, "wow wtf dude? put your foot down." (did catch myself doing it once or twice, I'm sure I missed a lot of other part-throttle straights...), it'd hopefully be mash til light, shift, repeat.

Really have to stop doing all this highway driving. Foot doesn't know what "to the floor" means.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Thanks to everyone for organizing, hosting, running, and participating! Special thanks to Joel for trusting me with his car, sharing some tips, showing me 1 very fast run, and letting me beat him ;).

The course was well thought out and flowed nicely. I especially liked how the rhythm of the course changed, forcing you to dial it back a little in a few key spots to stay fast. The downhill section was especially fun for me because it was preceded by a WOT uphill and long dori dori sweeper. I noticed that staying in that rhythm and getting too fast in the following downhill section really slowed some folks down. I also saw a lot of people get frustrated and try to make up that lost time in the following tight left hander and into the slalom... tricky stuff.

I would have liked some back to back sweepers to really see the dust get kicked up, but all in all it was a very enjoyable course! I never really quite figured out the surface or Joel's car on that surface, but did learn a few valuable lessons... like scan the terrain just as much as the corner entry, exit, and next couple of corners. I also learned that 2nd gear in Joel's car isn't gonna pull you through the silt unless you carry around 30 mph. It was also a lot of fun being forced to use momentum to get his car sideways rather than power (like I probably would be tempted to do in the STI).

I had a blast! The plan was to run smooth and consistent and not break Joel's car... My goal for the day was to beat Scuba Sally. Unfortunately, he didn't put up much of a fight so it wasn't much of a rivalry ;)

I had 8 cones for the day huh? Guess that autocross mentality doesn't work so well in the dirt! :laugh:

At the end of the day... actually, after the second run, I was hooked. It was my first event and I don't plan for it to be my last. Maybe I should start looking for an impreza l or something for next spring...

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

LOL...thanks Sheen. Yeah, sunday wasn't my day, but I still went home with a huge smile.

btw- looks like I threw the hot chocolate in a bag full of "go fast" stickers. Who do they belong to?

7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Saturday wasn't your day either. Is that your turbo in your avatar? Maybe the FOD would explain your slow times! jk, it was a very fun day. Thanks for being the good sport you always are.

I remember seeing those stickers. Emily's maybe?

8. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

They were mine. Graham gave them to me to hand out and I forgot all about them.

9. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

It was a great event and a great end to a great season! i accoplished my goal for the season and that was to beat mark! it was also very fun stomping all you guys in M4 in a car with 40% the HP and 50% the drive wheels hehehe, its all in good fun! hope to see you all next year!

10. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

kevin, next year I want to get a ride on one of your runs...or you can co-pilot on one of mine. I'd like to get your insight.

11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

for sure! not sure what i will be driving next year... we shall see!

12. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

13. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Must've hurt to get beat by a chick, in a 15 y.o., underpowered car, on snow tires, that you helped make faster by staying up late, eh? :) You know I love ya Dan...

Hoarding goodies again? I'll see if he has any goodies for me when I stop by to see him before the chili cook off.

I've got 5 more Leggy rims, 4 with rally tires I'm picking up at chili cook off too. Sure is nice to be able to use stock alloys with rally tires. That'll bring my total to 15 alloys, 9 with rally tires. Having a full size spare is very nice.

Amy

14. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I don't mind getting beat by a chick. Reminds me of the home life:eek3:;)
    That's OK. I will be installing a few goodies of my own tonight after work.
    DMS 40mm sound familiar? Along with the DMS adjustable tops.

15. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Good going Sara!

Upgrading the hardware? Very nice....

Don't forget to upgrade the software -->:eek3:<--

Amy

16. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

i like the sound of this.... ;)