Disable Block AVCS HEADS

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by snowman, Mar 25, 2009.

1. snowman

snowman New Member

Hey soobies,

Im back with another q.

Can I block the ports for the oil inlet on AVCS type 06+ heads to
    run them w/out hooking it up?

Cause it looks like the cam front mount and avcs inlet are attached as one unit, so in my thought I could replace this mount w non avcs cover or block the stock avcs passages?

My next concerm would be the cam gears pulleys as the avcs crap goes up there too,

Has anyone got a link to someone who closed thier avcs ports ?

Im not concernrd w the potential of avcs but i was hoping these Heads w avcs were/are the same mold casting as the 2.0 wrx heads just bigger, or the onlyy added running change was avcs and the mold is still the same, and the combustion chamber looks different from the models I see, so I have to assume they changed the head cover and added AVCS and the only change is in the AVCS mount and front cam mount. That would be nice but i doubt it eh? But I thought I read gruppe-s did it and the were left with the high lift duration on the cams? I dunno Im gonna try to call em and ask them as I cant find anything on bloking AVCS type heads. Probly because its stupid to do cause youre just wasting effeciency but I dont want to go thru the hassle.

If pressure will remail the same and the casting is the same and safe to remove this cam mount w avcs Id rather go that way......cause im cheap. and dont wanna run the oil lines and hook up the wires either. I just want a daily with power. not win awards.

Thx guys!

2. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I know there are companies that sell non-avcs cams for avcs heads--maybe check their website for install directions?

What cams you going with?

3. snowman

snowman New Member

The AVCS cams are on them, but I thought I read Gruppe s did it and was left with the high cam profile, or thats what it reverts to or whatever at 0 degrees.

4. WRXEcho

WRXEcho Well-Known Member

You're not just talking about putting a screw in the avcs holes are you?

I know some avcs cams, have oil holes that you plug up with little screws to change them to non-avcs cams. If what you're doing involves more than that, that's all I got :)

5. snowman

snowman New Member

Well not exactly, but n theory I guess you could plug holes with screws! but i hope its more involved than that?

no im talkin if the molds are the same I wanna removes the AVCS Oil inlet and solenoid and replace with a non avcs mount or probly wont work, but basically ya fill holes grind and make smooth if I can find a replacement cover to remove the AVCS unit,

then I thought I may be left with the pulley/cam gear passages lock the pulley at a good degree and call it a day. But ya theres holes in the cams themselves eh? I thought just the pulleys did the work to activate the AVCS I better dig a little more into how it works,

I was just hoping someone could point to a thread or somethin were someone blocked it off or tried to anyway, Im sure someone at least tried once before.

6. carl

carl Well-Known Member

yea I thought all you had to do was plug the holes on the cams or get non avcs cams and you could use the heads

7. snowman

snowman New Member

8. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

why not just run some 2.0 wrx heads?

9. snowman

snowman New Member

got a deal i couldnt pass on. maybe i can sell em, later but i scooped em just to hoard em, but I dont think ill use em if its a hassle and ill go 2.0

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Look at the pics here. The gold head is a '04 STi AVCS head and the Silver is '02 WRX head.

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=597920&postcount=19

Valve covers are different with different locations for bolt holes.

AVCS oil comes from the hardline off the back of the head, and top back on the newer heads, i.e. '06 WRX heads. The AVCS feeds oil to the journal up front. Without oil, you risk damaging the journal, and also making it possible for the AVCS cam gear to seize onto the camshaft if there is no oil to run through.

You can run a AVCS head without AVCS working. I have a set of EJ20 heads, I also have an EJ205 shortblock if you want trades....

Someone cut into those valve covers.... ouch!

11. snowman

snowman New Member

HAhahaha good eye, thanks for the links fuji.......I appreciate it.

you wanna trade me for these heads if i can't get her workin? (I know I will Im just asking)

I need your number dude can I talk to you in PM's?