DIY windshield removal?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by joebush44, Jan 17, 2018.

1. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Anybody have personal experience with removing a windshield without breaking it? I watched a guy on YouTube do it with 50lb test fishing line.

I want to remove it to clean up some rust spots on my A pillar and also install new trim. I have some 65lb test braided line coming. Im thinking about giving it a try.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If it helps I do have 2 large suction cup handles to aid you in lifting it out as well as a seal cutter tools I bought for at work when we thought we were going to have to remove some windows here at work.

3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Guy I worked with previously had what he called a "long knife". Basically was like an 18" long handle that held a utility knife blade at the end. It allowed you to get some pretty good leverage when trying to cut through that adhesive going around the glass. We used that on multiple occasions. Have never tried the string/cable method.

4. JasonoJordan

Yep I have 2 of said knives.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I've done/helped with a few. Both quick and dirty (replaced a broken windshield @ stage rally) and slow and less dirty (friend's DD and swapped non heated for heated)

Heat, wire (several), scrapers (one looks like a dental pick then a regular scraper to clean up the leftover adhesive), and suction cups go a long way toward hopefully not cracking it. Be mindful of your angles around the corners when you're picking/cutting the adhesive then be mindful of any missed spots before you lift it.

6. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Yep! Heat, a good strong wire or long knife, suction cups, being mindful of the angle you're pulling, and plenty of patience.

7. joebush44

The method I think I'll try (YouTube video I mentioned), the guy tied off one end of the line to the steering wheel/steering column then ran the line from the inside of the windshield to the outside through a small slot he opened up. Then he wrapped the line all the way around the outside perimeter of the windshield, then back into the cabin through the same slot. From there leave enough slack to pull on. He just used a ratchet extension to wrap the excess line on and to use as leverage for pulling. He didn't seem to use any heat when he did it. Seems like the heat would make it easier to cut through, but at the same time the heat might make the adhesive sticky enough to stick to the glass again. I'll have to play around and see how it goes.

Said video:

If I end up breaking it during removal, I wonder if my full coverage would cover it...

8. JasonoJordan

I cracked mine on my wrx when a carelessly tossed ratchet bounced off the plastic window cowel and hit the windshield. They replaced it no questions asked.

joebush44 likes this.
  9. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Gotta love Minnesota...one of only about five states that offer glass coverage!

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Because you need it! I went through 3 windshields my first 4 years up here. They have tapered off since, but dayum

11. joebush44

I ended up paying a guy to remove the windshield for me. Removal and install for $60 total...didn't break! Money well spent I'd say :thumbup:

12. JasonoJordan

Pussy ;) lol Glad you found a solution that worked for you in the end. I would of done the same.

13. joebush44

LOL! it just so happened that I had a buddy stop over just as I was getting started and he said..."Oh my neighbor used to do windshields professionally for many years, he'd probably do it cheap". He was over within the hour and I just sat on my ass and watched hahaha

tangledupinblu likes this.
  14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

That deserves an “attaboy”!:D