Dog Daze RallyCross Discussion and Smack Talk

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Vector, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Sorry to hear that your vision is screwed up...

Here is the pic that she sent me yesterday

[​IMG]

I think it is lookin' good.

Carrie

2. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with how its turning out. Have some overspray issues to take care of still.

My theory is, "If It doesn't look good, I'm not driving fast enough!" Like my paint shop? :)

-I have some of the parts to make it louder, courtesy of LegacyPGT, but need to find an exhaust shop that can bend 3" and the time/money/high flow cat to get it together.

Amy

3. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I can locate the eBay seller that I got my high-flow cat from. It's a bullet style cat, so very smooth flowing and stainless, and cheap. It's a ceramic, you may want the metal substrate for the turbo car (only if you're ever going to really mod it though, and it's not much more $).

4. ScandiaWRX

Thanks. I've seen the metal substrates on Ebay for $99. Thinking that may be the better option if only because of the knocks it will probably take when in the woods (the wagon has a grapefruit size dent in the rear floor from Ojibwe). Mike said that between the turbo and a high flow cat a muffler wouldn't be nescessary, that's how he ran his PGT Legacy.

Should be able to hear me coming once I get it all figured out.
    Can you hear me now?!

Amy

5. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

6. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I can bend 3" tubing.. it is crush bend though... but I dont have my workshop setup... :(

7. richard donovan

richard donovan Well-Known Member

8. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Yes and yes, from my understanding.

I used a ceramic substrate in the Sentra, but would have put a metal one in the WRX had i ever gotten around to doing the exhaust before I sold it. Mostly because a turbo car is going to run a lot richer and thus have more unburned fuel in the exhaust, which will get a cat really, really hot.

9. richard donovan

Thanks Mark for a link to those cats, I need to weld exhaust for my RS (short ram, delta cams, borla header) I think I'll use one of these when I start building it later this summer/fall.

Amy!! your Legacy looks great! It needs graphics it looks so naked! I'm excited to see it through my proverbially rear view mirror

* I had to get this post back to some good old smack talk ;) I really think she'll be seeing me in here rear view:roll:

10. ScandiaWRX

Mark thanks for the link. You just saved me $40!

Richard, here is a preview of the scenery for you!

Amy

11. richard donovan

HAHAHA I love it!!!! and i can see why you want new exhaust!

12. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Amy,

I think that MN law requires a muffler to be "street legal" if the car originally had a muffler (i.e. not an SRT-4 that came stock with just a cat). Now, that muffler doesn't have to acutually do much/anything, so a $10 tractor muffler from Fleet Farm will do just fine.

My SE-R wouldn't be much louder (if any) without the muffler, but it would be a lot buzzier and get more unwanted attention. A turbo car won't have as much of a problem, but the fine for not having any sort of muffler is surprisingly large IIRC.

13. richard donovan

a $20 Glass pack muffler with work to be legal

14. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i still don't know if i'll be there... gah! decisions...

15. ScandiaWRX

Hey! Let's wake up here people!

Mark U., let's check those eyes. How many fingers am I holding up? :slayer:

Mark H., How's your progress on the Sentra?

Carl, Tstrboy2004, Dynapar give it up. You're coming to this event!

Joel, any new mods? Watch out son, I may be running the wagon in PA at this event and have Stig's skinny arsed younger brother sharing with me. I never should've told you about the "Flick". Why do I keep doing this to myself?!

Greg, I'm sticking with the aluminum seat for my codriver (she's more flexible than I am, right Mark? :), so what do I care if its hard to get into and out of?). So the tube frame seat is available if you want it for your rally cross car.

Brent and Carrie, congrats on getting your ham licenses. Brent's call sign ends in "Whiskey", go figure :)

Wake up!

Amy

16. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

Near as I can tell you're a mutant cause I see eleven fingers. And I didn't even get any of Brent's whiskey.

Mark

17. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Sentra's ready to go for a rallycross. But it needs a passenger seat (four bolts) a radio, and a rally odo for Nemadji. Those are more or less just "bolt back in" things though. Small exhaust repair too (broke off one of the muffler hangers).

Debating on mounting up my aluminum bucket for the passenger side of the sentra. It would be a lot more work than bolting back in the stock seat, and would be a lot harder to get in and out of. But it would allow the EMT riding with me to be a little more secure. I'm thinking that the EMT in Safety Sweep might be better off having the quick egress of a stock seat, but with a set of 5-points to keep 'em in the seat when we're moving.

I guess it's just a shame that you can't end in "Bourbon."

<- Kilo Charlie Zero Sierra Uniform Whiskey

18. ScandiaWRX

Let me know if you want my black tube frame seat for your codriver side. You know which one it is.
    Amy

19. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

I kind of wish the LoL rally-x and MAC auto-x events didn't coincide with each other all the time.:( I'm already signed up for MOWOG 5 for Sunday. I keep having to choose one or the other to go to.:ugh:

20. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

No new mods yet, unless curly gets those headers done in time.

Hey, the more wagons, the better!

21. stick

stick New Member

Remember, Bourbon IS Whiskey!!!

So, now we’re the Whiskey boys?!!

:eek:rly:

Now, that’s not true!! I offered, you refused and gave a “ I had a bad experience with that stuff†look. And then you proceeded to take a sip of you girlie drink. :yumyum:

I hope I get used to Amys car quicker than the Bluck!! I can’t afford that kind of cone count!! ;)

22. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

About the only whiskey I'll touch is the occasional really old Scotch, and not even that since Sherlock's closed in Minnetonka (sigh).

I'm really more of a Vodka man, myself.

No Sundance at Corcoran? I suppose if you can run a Subaru for contingency money it only makes sense to do it. I can't even qualify for the Hankook contingency (they weren't purchased this year). Will probably still run the 'kooks though, as the probable high temps and harder surface there would eat the Kumhos up, and I want to keep the tread blocks nice and sharp for the dirt events.

23. stick

stick New Member

Good plan.

We went and got a Yaesu FT-8800 and a FT-60 from Radio City.
    Got the 8800 installed in the Audi last night! Carrie came up a sweet idea and we mounted the base to the underside of the armrest.

You'll have to take a peek at it at Nemadji.

24. ScandiaWRX

Brent is my ringer for Corcoran :)

On a side note, brown Santa (UPS) says my high flow cat should be delivered this Friday. And I have an appointment with Scott, aka Animal, in Elk River for the 18th to bend something up for the Legacy.

Guess that means the Leggy will soon no longer be stealthy in both regards. :slayer:

I still have to do something about an intercom though.

Amy

25. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

I was referencing my CURRENT malady and the fact that my blurred vision has nothing to do with anything fun or tasty.

BTW, you better be ready for a beat down punk. Don't think for a second you're gonna beat me in MY class.

Damn gnats.....buzz buzz buzz.....just buzz, no bite.

Mark

26. stick

stick New Member

True that

I'm not as think as you stupid I am... Who said anything about YOUR class??? :biggrin:

Besides, I've already taken out your sidekick... You're day will come, eventually.

Word on the street is the Audi boys are gunning fer ya. Something about throwing a V8 into an Audi 80 or 90... If it doesn't have bugs, it could be interesting.

I think I've got them talked into bringing a few cars! :cool:

27. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Dropped the Kumho tires off at TAG to get them mounted today. Still don't think I'll use them for the Aug event, but wanted to have at least one mounted as a spare for NT2.

Got my new fender liners and Axxis Metal Master brake pads in too (the Sentra has had whatever brake pads the kid who I bought it from had 3+ years ago, and I wanted to make sure I had enough pad to handle NT2 (don't much need brakes for the Rally-X).

Dunno if I should put back in my Alpha rally odo for NT2 or see if I can get the Terratrip 404 installed. I'd need a probe for the Terra, but I'll need it sooner or later anyhow. Suppose I'll just order one in and if I get it in before the event, all is good, otherwise the Alpha just connects to the VSS and it's all good.

28. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Oh sweet!

Someone registered with a Porsche Cayenne!

Dunno how it will do, but it'll be fun to see.

29. stick

stick New Member

I saw that to! It will be interesting.

Also, how old is your brake fluid?

30. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

3-4 months :)

31. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Any recommendations from those with more experience with this venue on rubber. I have a choice between Winterforces of Kumho AST's

32. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

You won't give up nearly as much with the ASTs at this venue as you would at any other we run. You probably will give up some grip as compared to the Winterforces in some areas, and gain some in others. If it rains, use the Winterforces for sure, if not, I'd base which I used by how much wear you're willing to put on the Winterforces, as driving them hard on a hard surface in the temps we'll likely see in Aug will wear them significantly.

33. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for the advice.

34. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Too bad V is Victor....or I would have a great call sign for you

Kilo Delta Zero Echo November Victor

If only it were Malibu......I much prefer Malibu.

35. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Argh. I should have known better.

My passenger front caliper is seized :(

Time to order new pins and bushings (the piston appears fine, but I may just rebuild it too since i have to take everything off the car to get it apart).

S'pose I'd better check the driver's side before I order parts, in case I need Qty 2 of everything.

36. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

had the same problem on my turbo legacy.

mine had a little cap that could be popped off and we used a punch to drive the caliper off the pin and just cleaned it up with some sandpaper and stuck in a bunck of mobil synthetic grease and everything has been fine.

37. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Typically it's a bad thing to use general-purpose (even synthetic) grease on brake parts. It causes any rubber parts it comes into contact to swell and slowly dissolve. There is caliper specific grease you should use (and I have, since I always clean and grease the pins when I do anyhting to a caliper).

The problem on the Sentra is a well known one that I've faced before, except this time the pin was also bent (and getting it out was a bitch too, driving it with a punch and a huge dead-blow didn't budge it. Had to clamp the torque member in a vice and go to town with the big nasty impact to spin it in the sleeve). Even if it hadn't been bent, I'd have replaced it anyhow.

Not even the big Napa warehouse in St. Louis Park has the boots that go on the pins, and they have a grand total of one set of the pins. So the brakes will have to wait until I get back from the UP in a week and a half. Got new pins, boots, and caliper rebuild kits coming from RockAuto.

Since the calipers are off anyhow, I might just channel my inner ricer and paint them. I've got a caliper painting kit that's been on the shelf in the garage for a long time that's calling to me.

Looks like I'll have freshly bled brakes for NT2 and the rally-x.

38. greg donovan

i will keep an eye on the boots. i am pretty sure a brake specific mobil grease was used but not 100% sure.

39. rallywife

rallywife New Member

How are things going? Driver's side ok???

40. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Dunno for sure about the driver's side. If the weather permits I'll pull the caliper today and clean and paint both tonight. I imagine the driver's side is OK, or the braking would have been really, really awful.

Then I leave for the UP for a week, where I get to hang out in the same forest that LSPR Friday runs in. My replacement parts should come in next week, to my office so there's someone to receive them, and when I get back, I'll rebuild and reinstall the calipers.

41. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Have fun in the UP! I am envious. I just get to work next week. Ugh.

42. slobright

slobright New Member

I am so excited!!!!! This will be my first rallyX.

43. greg donovan

i am running into some logistical issues.

would anyone be willing to let me run in their car? i would be happy to kick in some gas money.

my parents might be able to drag the car up to corcoran from rochester but i would rather not have to have them go through the hassle if i could share a car.

44. ScandiaWRX

Looking more like a Leggy

Started putting the Legacy back together on Sunday. Have to say I'm pretty pleased with my 20' paint job, might even qualify as a 10 footer!

Still have to black out some chrome and get the exhaust upgraded. Waiting to hear on my DMS bearing replacement for the struts, then they'll go on too.

45. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

I could do that, hit me up with a PM.