Dog Daze RallyCross Discussion and Smack Talk

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Vector, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i have it already

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Oh, werd! Ignore that pm then. lol.

3. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I switched my tires tonight so I don't have to do that before the event tomorrow morning. I figure it'll be a bit cooler in the morning so it won't totally kill the tires.

I just put my frs radios on the charger. Otherwise, I think everything is set to go for tomorrow. Hopefully we won't get any nasty weather tomorrow.

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Just pulled the passnger seat out again. It's a little weight savings, but mostly, I'm bringing two sets of tires tomorrow (three if you count the ones I'll be driving there and back on), so I need the space even more than the weight savings.

Car is still all ready to go from last weekend, so it's just loading up the rallyx gear after I get my boy in bed.

5. Josh

Josh New Member

I hate to say it - but I'm going to have to cancel as well. I'm all set, my gear's all set, and the car's all set - but my parents bought a new house and we've been moving them for the last three days. I'm both too beat and way too behind on work for the 14 hours worth of driving to get there and back.

Have fun everyone, and I'll come out and see you guys at a future event. Are any of you coming down to Nashville for the National Championship? Mark? Brent? We'd all love to see you down there.

--Josh
    #33 SA

6. stick

stick New Member

I'm sorry you can't make it Josh.
    We'll see on the National trip.

7. stick

stick New Member

Registration will be open at 8:30, but Carrie and I plan on getting there at 8am. If you get there before that you can park in the open lot outside the gate.

8. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Ready Set Bed

We just got home from setting the course and hooking up the hoses and whatever else it is that we did....things are blurry :eek:

Josh, sorry to hear you aren't able to make it. We were looking forward to seeing you. We look forward to hopefully seeing you at Nationals. We would like to go.

Here is a picture of course set up. We found a non-competitor in a new class (yet to be approved by SCCA) of vehicle to check it out. We made some changes per her recommendations.

[​IMG]

See you all bright and frickin' early in the morning.

Carrie (& Brent)

9. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

good god do i hate dragging those hoses around. that is one thing i wont miss. looks like fun will be had. good luck to everyone.

10. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

I shall be going to bed now need sleep for this.

11. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

That was fun. A big thank you to everyone who organized and ran this event. I think things went very smoothly for how many cars were there.

It was a blast. The track was great, both the surface and the layout. People did some good driving today I thought.

Thanks again, I really can't say enough how much I appreciate the hard work that goes into something like this to let us go have fun for a day.

... now, let's see some pictures and video! please.

12. Josh

Josh New Member

I'm glad to hear that the event went well. That was a lot of entrants. I'm curious to see how many ended up in SA.

What was the surprise that Mark and the guys had in store? A new timing/scoring display system of some sort?

13. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth!:) That venue was amazing. Thank you again everyone.

A special thanks to Mark Utech for giving me some coaching today. It helped a lot.

14. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

Had a blast watching!!!!!! there was some great driving out there today for sure, gj everyone!

15. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Yep. Electronic timing to the thousandth with an 8" tall display at the finish. Very nice once the initial hiccups got ironed out. In the future, we'll look at laying out start/finish so not only the driver, but those waiting in line can see the time too.

16. Josh

Josh New Member

Awesome. That makes a HUGE difference in the flow and focus of the event.

17. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Honestly, I'm not sure how good an idea it is to give Utecht such immediate feedback on his times.

Today he didn't just win. It was a beatdown.

18. SimRacer

SimRacer Well-Known Member

Dan, you had a great day finishing 5th overall, not bad. I think your hooked.

19. greg donovan

wow i cant wait to see the scores.

20. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

Awesome event, and glad I could finally meet people on the board.

I definetly need to iron out a couple things (ie. TIRES), but I definetly still have room to improve...

I don't feel too bad, though. I started off with a 55.9, finished the day with a 44.4 ... could have done a lot worse for my first time out. It was really nice to get feedback from you guys too, though I think I forgot most of it once I crossed the start line. :laugh:

Also, I definetly should've borrowed a wrench from someone and pulled my strut bar off (only thing that put me in PA, rear sway didn't show up on time). 9 cars in PA, only 2 were in SA .. and one of the two retired.

Thank you again, for the amazingly smooth event (even with the timing bug at the beginning). I'll definetly have to make time for the next one!

21. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Dog Daze Thanks

Thank you from Brent and I for all who came out to participate, volunteer or spectate at the RallyCross today. We were very pleased with the turn out as well as how well everyone did. Given the number of competitors we were impressed that we were able to get 9 runs per driver in. This shows just how much effort everyone put in to being efficient with the change overs.

I really enjoyed the new timing system once we got the bugs worked out. I see a lot of great uses for this in future.

Hope to see everyone out at the next one...September 21....Princeton.

Carrie

22. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I'll try to get them up to the LoL site in the next couple of days. Mostly, I need to convert them from the format Carrie used for the event to the one I use for the web site.

Anyhow, the gap from #1 (Mark) to #2 (Brent) was 12.706 seconds, or on average better than 2s/run. Since Mark got into the 35s range, you can see just how big a 2s/run difference is. The gap for #2 to #3 (Todd) was less than a second.

23. greg donovan

:eek4::eek4:

24. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the formatting.

Class Car # Name Total Time Run Set1 Run Set 2 Run Set 3
    M4 83 Mark Utecht 225.005 77.642 76.487 70.876
    PA 41 Brent Carlson 237.711 82.284 77.022 78.405
    M4 11 Todd Jarvie 237.989 82.38 78.146 77.463
    M4 111 J.B.Lewis 240.406 83.632 79.675 77.099
    M4 52 Dan Drury 242.572 85.043 80.937 76.592
    PA 14 Amy Springer 244.042 85.058 79.783 79.201
    M4 9 Derek Wagner 244.083 85.972 81.008 77.103
    PA 77 Denny McGinn 244.666 83.59 79.832 81.244
    PA 153 Joel Kucera 245.951 85.762 81.443 78.746
    PA 84 John Sulaski 246.181 83.953 82.93 79.298
    PA 62 Michael Clapper 248.778 88.313 80.201 80.264
    M2 710 Mark Holden 248.862 82.918 81.491 84.453
    M2 121 Frank Buntzen 253.487 85.263 82.21 86.014
    M4 63 Chase Remmen 253.568 87.412 82.301 83.855
    M2 217 Seth Reithmeyer 253.7 87.569 82.153 83.978
    M4 21 Derek Bangs 253.888 87.575 83.292 83.021
    M4 7 Mike Wagner 255.467 89.107 87.058 79.302
    SF 537 Paul Peters 255.596 85.32 82.789 87.487
    PA 678 Chris Luhman 255.737 85.341 85.6 84.796
    M2 177 Guy Reithmeyer 256.235 88.578 79.994 87.663
    M2 458 Chris Gordon 256.758 83.973 80.71 92.075
    SF 751 John Kimmes 258.852 84.886 83.015 90.951
    M4 88 Hans Nielsen 266.898 91.601 93.589 81.708
    pa 480 Luke White 268.575 98.288 86.428 83.859
    M2 13 Erik Dahl 274.537 95.774 85.84 92.923
    PF 42 Chris Champion 274.728 99.635 88.936 86.157
    M2 31 Scott Parrott 275.355 94.341 88.203 92.811
    M4 100 Josh Storlie 279.021 101.18 94.234 84
    SA 115 Ryan Butz 280.239 92.785 88.997 98.457
    M2 514 Ian Seppanen 282.051 109.457 83.078 89.516
    pa 243 Kyle Rodriguez 283.076 100.281 92.14 90.655
    SF 54 Chris Tuominen 286.627 99.581 90.443 96.603
    SF 17 Kevin Vongsaphay 288.865 100.27 91.481 97.114
    M4 76 Cale Isaacs DNF 82.052 dnf dnf
    M4 44 Jason Anderson DNF 87.739 85.048 dnf
    SA 1 Bill Berard DNF 80.746 80.709 dnf
    SF 5 DNF

25. mayhem83

I need pics of car 83 for an article I'm sending to SCCA about the event. Please post here or PM/e-mail a link to me.

Thanks!

26. SimRacer

SimRacer Well-Known Member

I suggest we alternate starting order for each of the groups, PA definatley had the advantage running 2nd all day. Although M4 did do a great job cleaning the track.

27. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Brent was faster than you think considering we were running on Kumho Ecstas, a dedicated summer tire! I felt bad that I didn't bring the snow tires down to put on my wagon, I thought I would be driving down from Bemidji in the a.m. and wouldn't have time to change them.

Thanks for a great event! After having 1 cone in 2 of my first three runs I had a pretty big 2 second hole to dig myself out of to get back in the running. Have three run sets gave me the time to keep digging. I loved the new timing system. It's nice having immediate feedback to tell you if something you are doing is working or not.

The Leggy will be back for Princeton!

Don't forget to sign up and work Ojibwe Rally! http://www.ojibweforestrally.com/workers.php A bunch of us are going to go up Thursday a.m. to banner Saturday's stages, hang out with the crews at the practice stage, then go see Kenny Bartram's motorcycle stunt show at the Bemidji Speedway Thursday night. Send me a PM if you'd like to join us for bannering Thursday.

Amy

28. greg donovan

did scott have his bug running?

did todd bring the VR-4?

what time did the runs finish up?

in case you cant tell i really wish i had been able to make it.

29. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

No bug. Yes Todd. Can't remember exactly when we finished. 5ish?

We missed you!

Amy

30. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i had alot of fun guys, im kinda upset the RS didnt blow haha but it was still a good time and im more then satisfied with my results.

31. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

also where can pictures usually be found?

32. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was a huge improvement for me. I finally caught Joel and Amy:biggrin: Next in line is Utech:laugh: I figure I'll catch him after he retires from racing;)

Yes, I am totally hooked!

33. greg donovan

that was indeed a long day. sounds like fun.

34. rallywife

rallywife New Member

It is good to have goals :biggrin:

35. mayhem83

I REALLY need a good shot of car 83 asap for an article going to SCCA. I would like to submit the article today. Please contact me if you have something I can use.

36. ArcticWolf

So... who should I PM? I'm looking for a little feedback on what I thought I was doing right/wrong and didn't really like about my car.

I wanted to ask during the event, but most of you were either in my run group, or in the group that ran while I was on cone detail.

37. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

What was your car #? I'll see if I can recall anything I noticed.

38. ArcticWolf

#243, the black 2.5i - wingless, stock exhaust (which merited the "turn your car on" joke at the awards)

39. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Ok, well, I think I remember watching you a couple of times through the pin turn. IIRC, you were more or less treating it as a slow-speed, continuous radius turn. Trying to think about doing this in an AWD car (it's been a while).

What seemed to work best back there was coming into the turn aggressively in 2nd on the section just before it, shifting down to 1st about 1/2 between the gate and the apex cones, then braking moderately at the same time as turning in hard. Braking before turning leads to making it a three point turn (right Amy?), but braking and turning puts the forces on the front tires and helps the rotation.

As soon as the car starts to rotate, get back on the throttle hard to get the rear end to come around (this is why you shift to 1st before the corner, because now it's too late). The car should be rotating and sliding at this point. Once the car rotates around, straighten it out and get into 2nd once you've built back enough speed to not bog.

A good thing to remember with a non-turbo car is that you typically have a broader power band to work with, so there are some situations where you can avoid downshifting, but this wasn't one of them.

Some people e-braked this corner. That never worked worth a damn for me in my WRX, and when I stopped doing it in the Sentra I gained a second.).

Overall, my approach to the course was this:

Start a bit wide and try to get the car rotated as much around the right hander before the start line. As soon as I got the car straight enough to take a hand of the wheel it was into second and back hard on the gas. Coming into the first left, I was pitching the car before the apex and not lifting or braking at all until I was past the gate (taking the little wiggle as straight as possible). Then as wide as I could going into the pin turn, down to 1st and on the brakes/turning hard left. As soon as the rotation started (if it did, this didn't always work well), I'd be working the throttle to get the car to come around and back in 2nd just after the apex cones. Hard on the throttle though the crossover, and depending on the traction, either some straight-line braking just before the turn-in for the right, or simply pitching it sideways (worked when the track was dryer, not when wet), and back down to 1st. The the key for the left-right-left was not coming in too fast and going wide on the first left. Turning in early and keeping tight to the apex at exit allowed for good setup of each successive element. This was all 1st gear and a lot of traction management for me with FWD. As soon as I finished the final left, it was right back into 2nd, and hard on the throttle through the kinks. I never determined if it was better to shift to 1st going into the final right hand and spin coming out, or to stay in 2nd and bog it. Either way, I'd pitch it in early and get back on the gas as soon as the car was pointed the right-ish way.

Some of that applies only to FWD, but a lot of it applies to AWD too.

I'm also not saying that was the best way, that's just what I was doing, and it worked pretty well for me. I'd be happy to hear what Mark U thinks of what I described.

40. greg donovan

mark h.,

you seem to know enough allready about driving. you should let me go to TimO's in your place. ;)

your run sounds pretty good. i think that bogging in second and keeping traction feels slower but in reality is faster than spinning the tires in first.

41. mayhem83

I disagree about getting back on the throttle to help the back end come around on a Suby in this case. when you get back on the throttle, you transfer weight to the rear and that will STOP the rotation. By staying off the gas and trail braking, you keep the weight on the front end and the back continues to come around. Once I had the rotation I needed, THEN I would smash the gas and counter steer to stop the rotation and head back through the gate. That's what I was doing on my runs and it seemed to work for me.

Remember that every car and every corner is different and this may not have worked for someone else.

42. greg donovan

yeah, your spring rate is just a bit higher than the rest of us.

i remember practicing this stuff with you last summer and when i could get it to work it was awesome.

we need to do that again.

43. rallywife

rallywife New Member

Obviously by the fact that you consistently pulled out very fast times, 35 second runs during the last run set. Both Mary and I responded by saying Holy @#$^

We couldn't see a lot from timing and scoring...but a got a chance to take a peak once in a while.

One nice thing that we noticed with the new timing system is that we didn't miss any times while distracted when Mark was out on course....there is something about that exhaust that makes me have to look :biggrin:

44. mayhem83

The lesser the spring rate, the greater the weight transfer. The technique works better in softer sprung cars, all other things being equal.

45. greg donovan

gotcha.

can they be too soft? ie. stock rates.