Don't drive the wrong way down one ways.

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by dang0, Jan 7, 2014.

?

Totaled?

1. Totally.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. **** will buff out.

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

I had a good morning. Slept in a little bit, made some bacon and eggs. Let my car warm up. Then I drove down my block, looked left, looked right, turned left onto a one way, and a dumbass driving the wrong way down the one way locks up his breaks and slams into my scoob.
    IMG_20140107_092342306_HDR.jpg IMG_20140107_095846307_HDR.jpg IMG_20140107_095852487.jpg IMG_20140107_100011034.jpg IMG_20140107_100018793_HDR.jpg

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Oh man! That really sucks. Hopefully that moron driver has insurance.

3. Stuart

Stuart New Member

****ty. Pulling onto one ways you never expect traffic to come from the wrong way. I work on a stretch of Hennepin that is a one way and 10 times a day cars are going the wrong direction. Many times they dive into the first parking lot they see and I know one day someone coming out will not think to look to the left and get hit blindly.

4. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

What year and how many miles on it?

5. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

05, 65,000 miles.

6. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

It was leaking coolant.... Not sure if the rad is toast.

7. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Doubt it will be totaled, I'm guessing $6 in damages though

9blackmax6 and tehfuzz like this.
  8. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

I have to ask,

What kind of bacon?

9blackmax6, tonyM and phi11 like this.
  9. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

really what hit you, was what I was going to ask, but my bacon curiosity overcame me

BroCo and tehfuzz like this.
  10. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

11. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

93 Nissan Pathfinder

12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

One way streets...one of the reasons I hate the "inner city".

An '05 is now 9 model-years old...I'm calling "totaled".

'93 Pathfinder...I'm gonna guess English is not first-language and/or they don't have insurance.

I too, am interested in what kind of bacon.

All kidding aside, you have my sympathies...vehicular carnage is never fun to deal with as the end result is never as good as it was pre-suckfest. The vast majority of the motoring public suck at every aspect of owning/operating a motor vehicle. Main reason I stay home.

13. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Roundy's Thick Cut.

Other guy's insurance has taken liability. My insurance agent said the car is "flagged" as being totaled. Other guy's agent thinks it should be fixable.

Nhibbs likes this.
  14. Legsaucy

Legsaucy Well-Known Member

It'll depend if there are capa certified aftermarket parts available, then it more that likely won't be. But if they have to replace with OEM I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't total it. Make sure you bring it to a good shop. I've worked for a sketchy shop before (and quit within a couple months) that would say a part can be fixed when it should be replaced to skimp on the labor hours on the estimate, then end up using crappy a/m parts, in order to keep it from totaling and get the job. This is insurance fraud but happens pretty commonly in non reputable shops.

Hope it all works out! That sucks!

15. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

That sucks dude! Glad to hear his insurance is taking care of it?

If it does end up getting totaled out, I'm sure there are a few people on the forums who would want parts off if it. **cough** Emily **cough**

16. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

So sorry this happened, people are idiots, good thing insurance is taking care of it... on another note you read my mind Curran!!!! I call dibs on the passenger rear door....

17. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Let the guy figure out if it's totalled or not before you vultures start claiming parts.

18. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Let us know if it's totaled and what the buy back price is....someone may want to grab the whole car up

On another note that shouldn't be totaled.....just had a buddy's 05 lot with more miles get a 12k payout.....that looks like pretty minimal damage.

19. john

john Well-Known Member

That sucks. Some drivers shouldn't be allowed to breathe...

tehfuzz likes this.
  20. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Hella bad luck... speaking of Hellas... dibs ;)

Ctracey218 and BroCo like this.
  21. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Really sorry to see that.

I've seen an increasingly number of idiots going the wrong way down a one way. I also make sure to blast my horn and flash my high beams extra obnoxiously whenever I see it happen.

22. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

see what happens when you sleep in..

sorry about the car. Was the pathfinder lifted up?

23. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it will be fixable, but I suspect it will never be quite right. Sucks. I'm pretty ignorant on this insurance stuff - do insurance companies compensate for lost value For example, KBB puts my car around 13K-14K but there is probably not way I could sell it for that amount after it has been repaired. So, is there any compensation for that loss? EDIT: guess I just wasn't googling the right term -- diminished value.

The pathfinder wasn't lifted but certainly sits higher than my car, which is why the damage may primarily be above the bumper beam. I suspect that is a good thing, and hopefully the frame/body didn't get too whacked out of alignment. Frankly, that is my main concern if the car is fixable.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  24. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

perfect excuse to get jdm bumper and grill?

25. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

I really would like to as I've grown to dislike the 05-07 LGT front end. Unfortunately, I suspect since insurance is involved, I won't be able to install a non-US spec bumper beam (such as the JDM bumper beam).

26. pillboy

If it was me I would prefer to have it totaled. Having a somewhat major repair in its history will just about always cause buyers pause.

Good luck with the insurance settlement.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  27. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

IV never let this bother me if seller has pictures of the damage and paperwork for the repairs

Nhibbs and Ntxhuav_Khang like this.
  28. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

Actually if it is a factory part, you may be able to. especially if it is cheaper than stock. Wrecked a car of mine years ago and picked a body shop that would help me out and insurance was fine with it.

29. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

30. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Initial damage report is $5,500. Shop is going to revise estimate on Tuesday after some dis-assembly. Any pointers on what I should look for? Initial report was missing quite a few things such as, e.g., a radiator, bumper beam, scoop, scoop duct, right fender, etc.... Car is valued at $10,500, which I think is a little low but not unreasonable (probably within 10%-15% - I think I could probably buy an '05 LGT with about 70K miles for somewhere between $10,500 and $13,000). Car will be considered a total loss if damage gets about $8000 but my guess is the body shop will eat the loss even if they can do it for $9500 or so.

I think I would rather get it fixed than have it totaled. We'll see.... Back off vultures....

31. pillboy

I wonder if the black OEM headlights (2005 only) are still available or if they will have to replace both to get them to match. I am not sure if that part is obsolete and '06+ is the only thing available. When I had to buy a new driver's side sun visor, it was the newer design and does not match the original '05 in design (passenger side). Make sure the battery is not cracked, but I assume if it were it would be leaking.

32. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

What? Oem black? Neither or my 05's came with black housing.

33. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Totaled. Shop has tallied at least $9800 in damage.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to get the insurance to value my car a bit higher? Insurance gal mentioned that I could show her comparables to try and get it higher.... Does anybody have experience with this?

34. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

That sucks.
    I wanted them to total my last car and they would not consider it, not sure there is anything you can do expect buy it back from them and fix it yourself.

35. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Maybe PM @MN3.6R he might have some ideas.

Nhibbs likes this.
  36. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

speaking of the thread title topic...I actually witnessed a Minneapolis Police Officer driving down the wrong side of a two way street. Granted it was 1st Ave in Minneapolis and some parts are a one-way...the section we were on was definitely NOT a one way. Unbelievable.

To the dangO...sorry to hear that it was totaled out, since it sounds like you didn't want that. Think of it as a chance for a clean slate though. Hopefully you can achiever a higher value on the car as well.

37. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Ha
    Have you tried looking on autotrader or carsoup for similar cars? Sometimes the adjusters will miss details about your car that make it worth more and less available. Either way you want the value to be as high as possible so you get your money out of it.

Frogy

38. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

That really sucks. Hopefully you can prove fair market value is higher than their initial estimate.
    Do you know how much they want if you were to buy the crashed car off of them?

39. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

PM sent

dang0 likes this.
  40. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

dang0 likes this.
  41. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I would shoot for $12000

9blackmax6, dang0 and Nhibbs like this.
  42. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

uploadfromtaptalk1390619097265.jpg this was only 7500 in damage. Hood, headlights, bumper, hood latch, radiator, radiator support, grill and more (fenders were fine though). 05 outback xt with 107k on it. Was fixed by insurance.

43. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

I suspect my car had more damage than your 05 outback xt because the impact was not distributed across the entire front end -- instead, it was directed into the front, driver's side corner.

I took a look at the car in the shop yesterday. The guy there showed me where the frame member extending behind the front left wheel well was buckled, which he indicated was cost prohibitive to fix if not un-fixable.

44. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything in front of the belts was replaced with my accident, but no frame damage. So with your frame damage that would explain the difference.

45. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

Ended up at 12.4k (including tax and other stuff). Getting most of my aftermarket parts taken off this week before the car gets picked up.

All you vultures can look forward to stage 2 sale soon.

Probably going to buy a 5th Gen LGT this week unless somebody else has a better car to sell me.....

tehfuzz and Jerf like this.