E-Brake Not holding

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Herb Miller, May 8, 2017.

1. Herb Miller

Herb Miller Active Member

The e-brake on my 2008 STI is no longer holding. I have adjusted it as far as I can at the handle, so it looks like it needs to be adjusted at the wheels as well. However, I have aftermarket rotors that do not have the access hole. Does anyone know how I adjust the brake at the wheels without pulling the rotor. I prefer not to remove the caliber if I can help it, given the risk of stripping the caliper threads.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Before you go adjusting anything its always best to check to make sure your pads are not just worn out for the parking brake. That said I understand why you want to avoid removing the calipers but that is the best route to go.

3. Herb Miller

Herb Miller Active Member

Thanks. I will check. Wish me luck with the caliper bolts.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The Subaru community as a whole has their fingers crossed for you.

my97gt likes this.
  6. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

For one... I learned long ago, keep OEM rotors on the car. Buy a second set and turn/swap until they don't turn them anymore. Second, the shoes shouldn't hinder you from removing the rear rotor. So if you turned them, clean up the rust edge and adjust them until they (ever so slightly) rub when putting them back on.. I had to adjust mine several times (i have the adjustment hole) until they were right and it would hold within 3-4 clicks. It will loosen and wear in to 4-5 clicks after a bit. But it's flawless.

Good luck with the bolts. Replace them if you can, or anti-seize them a bit. If you break the bolt, just remember it can be fixed. Do it when a machine shop is open.

I did the ebrake on my WRX and learnes this lesson. I also had the rear drums done on my Forester and had to adjust them a bit afterwards. Same process.

Aegis and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. xsmooth69x

xsmooth69x Member

Just make sure you E brake isnt on when you try and take off the rear rotors

When you put the brake calipers back on just coat them with nickle/copper anti seize and the next time will be 100% easier

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    tangledupinblu likes this.