Economical Tire Dismount Options

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PJ171, Mar 19, 2021.

1. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Between the WRX and our Corolla I've got a two sets of rims with old tires on them. I'm basically looking for a way to cheaply dismount the tires from the Rims to help them take up less space.

I can definitely get rid of the tires myself, (Metropolitan Mosquito control will pick them up), but looking for any leads on someone with the gear to remove the tires properly. I've asked a couple tire shops near me in Stillwater, and they're offering to do it for the same price as installing new tires!

East side metro is great but will to drive.

Thanks!
    -Paul

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

My dad and I got sick of paying people so he bought (and reinforced) the harbor freight machine they sell. Catch is we have probably ran 20 sets of tires through for cars and a few motorcycle ones by now to offset the machine cost. Otherwise i have not found anywhere that was cheapest but also didn't destroy my rims.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Unless the rims are super expensive or exceptionally nice, I would think the corner gas station that has a shop could do it.

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sawzall!? Lol

pillboy likes this.
  5. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Hah yea they're nothing exotic, unless you can call the original rims from my 03' WRX a collector's item.

Fair point about one of the cheaper shops in town, there's a few national chain tire stores that opened up near my recently i'll give them a call.

Still willing to trade beer and/or a few bucks if anyone is so inclined.

6. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

tangledupinblu and Butthau5 like this.
  7. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Aye, was about ready to get it out too.

Managed to find a tire shop willing to dismount the tires for cheap, just $3.50/tire (+disposal) at Fred's Tire here in Stillwater in case anyone else is hunting for the same thing. Woot.

tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  8. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

That's very, very cheap. I would not personally waste my time doing it that cheap even if I had a machine at my disposal.

glen likes this.
  9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Based on the time spent doing the work, that's still probably $60/hour labor rate. Not too bad for non-mechanical labor at a non-chain, small-town shop. It's not like you're putting the car on a lift and removing the wheels from it.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Closer to $52.50/hr assuming you're doing roughly one every 4 minutes basically non-stop for an hour. For just removing the tires for someone that wanders in, $14 is more likely covering a lunch run for someone these days or a case of really ****ty beer.