EG in a GG by Eazy

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Eazy_E_Rich, Feb 1, 2015.

?

H6 > H4 ?

1. Yes, I like that porsche sound.

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No, I've got to have that H4 rumble.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

2. Eazy_E_Rich

joebush44, Mnelson and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds glorious! It makes me want to take the RSVX for a spin. :)

Eazy_E_Rich likes this.
  4. Eazy_E_Rich

Get that beast out, I'd like to hear or see it in action.

5. tangledupinblu

Oh, it's out! Just need to hose it off and put some urr in tha tyres. ;)

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Pace vehicle?!

7. tangledupinblu

I've thought about it! But the race seat isn't 2 and a 1/2hrs comfortable. That and it's loud as hell. lol

Still can't wait to see the twin snails on there Evan!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I always see this thread get bumped and get excited.

Then I open it and see a blocked Youtube link.......

One of these days I'll have to neglect the child and spend some time in front of the computer at home.

jubella2 and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  9. Eazy_E_Rich

Here's a recap in case you don't find the time to watch.

Car is running great, the fresh refurb of the EG33 really screams. I must have got the IRIS valve right this time because around 4500rpm it feels kinda like vtec, just not quite as distinct.
    I soldered up a dual VR conditioner for the MS3 ECU and plan to run both the crank and cam trigger through that in a 12/1 configuration.

It will probably take me a few weeks to get all the components to play nice with the MS3/MS3X, looks like the IACV is a tricky one, but time will tell.

Once the ECU is working and can run the engine NA, I'll tear it down and start welding up the manifolds for the turbos. I plan on having them mounted near where the fog lights go since there is basically no other place, but the T25's seem to fit nicely there with how the flange's are setup.
    Once the manifolds are done I'll look to CXRacing for some intercooler ideas.

I've got an STI fuel pump, and 370cc sidefeed injectors (from an Infinity QX45) which should be just enough to squeeze around 350-375hp from this thing originally. These injectors were on wholesaler closeout for $80 for 6, so it was hard to say no.

Sounds good in theory, but I'm still learning :p

-Eazy

Chux and joebush44 like this.
  10. tangledupinblu

Dual intercoolers in the grill area? Omnomnom

IMG_9746.JPG

ocie, Eazy_E_Rich and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  11. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Good god thats sexy.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. Eazy_E_Rich

I like this a lot, and is similar to what I'm thinking, but I would really like to retain some sort of front bumper.

13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Excellent. I just wired up a Haltech to run an EG33 in an Impreza and discovered that OE tune switches the IRIS valve at 4200rpm.

I'll just leave this here
    2012-05-20105255 (Custom).jpg

14. tangledupinblu

Hot damn!

15. Eazy_E_Rich

I swear I've seen that picture before, if only I was half as classy and had a lot of cash ;)

The fuel setup looks nice, I bet that is running some top feed 1000cc's or so. I wonder where the Radiator is.

I may have to pick your brain about that Haltech, I'm curious if it supports the dual crank trigger or if it will run 12/1 also.

16. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'll answer what I can. It was the super basic model of the Haltech (Platinum Sprint 500), and I was very unimipressed with it. That project is very much not done, so I'm not sure if it will read the triggers as-is (although it'll only be running semi-sequential injection and wasted spark, so it doesn't need a lot of resolution).

Eazy_E_Rich likes this.
  17. Eazy_E_Rich

This weekend I began installing the Megasquirt 3 ECU.
    [​IMG]
    The wiring harness plan from the start was to have both MS3\MS3x and the SVX ECU wired up in parallel which would allow one to switch back and forth. I decided that I won't be using the SVX ECU once the Turbos are on the car so I've began eliminating some of that part of the harness, which makes it quite a bit smaller.

[​IMG]
    (Picture from testing, Rowdy for scale)

I'd say about half of the harness was pre-wired from when my friend designed and (he and I) created the harness. (We started with a MS3 and MS3X 10' harness right from DIY auto tune: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/10-39-megasquirt-wiring-harness-ms1-ms2-ms3-ready/ https://www.diyautotune.com/product/10-39-megasquirt-wiring-harness-for-ms3x/)

From here there were still some unknowns so not everything was connected. From reading forums about this ECU with the EG33 over the last 3 years I've found that others have had luck using a dual VR conditioner to get a good signal out of the Crank and cam sensors. I am currently only using 1 of the EG33 Crank Angle sensors (#2 by the diagram) and the Cam angle sensor through the Dual VR board in a 12-1 trigger setup. I wired this up and with the correct settings in TunerStudio (cam trigger set to JS10) I was able to see engine RPM when I cranked it over :bounce:

TPS is working, I wired up the CLT sensor and wired the wideband to the ECU (SVX ECU used the narrowband output from my O2 sensor). I also tested out the MAP sensor on the ECU which seems to work well, and the EG33 intake has some pretty easy places to connect this.

Next up I've got to circle back and modify the ECU to use PWM for the IACV (because I accidentally followed the stepper motor assembly path) as well as install the IAT sensor. I also may need to mess with the CLT bias as it seems a few degrees off.

Not many pictures but I will be making a video soon about this process, hopefully soon we'll have an MS3 first start video also.

Eazy

joebush44, Chux and tangledupinblu like this.
  18. derp

derp Well-Known Member

PUPPY

ocie likes this.
  19. tangledupinblu

Yet another "pup photo bomb"! He sure isn't camera shy. lol

Looking forward to the video Evan! That last post sounds all scienc-y with all of those acronyms!
    IMG_0366.JPG

Eazy_E_Rich and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  20. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Wiring (especially to this extent) makes my brain hurt. Looking forward to seeing more progress, nice work!

tangledupinblu and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  21. tangledupinblu

Jackie Chan's brain as well!

22. Eazy_E_Rich

Megasquirt First start

23. Eazy_E_Rich

24. Eazy_E_Rich

Been working on this thing quite a bit. So much that I've not had time to post many updates. Here's a mini update from what I expect will be a much larger one later this week.

I cleaned up the wiring quite a bit. Got the Megasquirt to control my engine fans, got it to output to my tach.
    [​IMG]

I've really been enjoying all of the control of the ECU I have now.

After making some ignition and injection changes I've been spending time tuning the car with the help of tuner studio's auto tune feature. It's good enough for some light daily driving but I am still chasing a slight snyc loss issue.

I did install a Nexus 7 tablet to run shadow dash for when I can't look at the laptop for tuning.
    [​IMG]

Also found a pretty cool dashboard app for when I eventually unglue my eyes from the AFR and sync loss counter.
    [​IMG]

Got tons of footage to edit so I should have a new video late this week.

-Eazy

25. tangledupinblu

Looking forward to it!

26. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Glad to see that there is a fire extinguisher close at hand. Safety third. Always happy to see an update.

27. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

➡️➡️➡️

Andy Forrest is a modern day super hero. He has built, tuned, and raced that car nearly completly on his own. 1200awhp @ 35psi. Full boost @ 4k rpm, limiter @9k rpm. Thats insane. 7.7 second 1/4 mile (radial tires), and he still races it in world time attack. The traction control is side to side G force sensitive for goodness sake! Just watch the video. I wish he lived on our continent.

28. Eazy_E_Rich

I've seen a lot of Andy's videos, he is indeed my hero. I wish I could spend 30 mins asking him about the EG33 :)

29. Eazy_E_Rich

Video update, Cleaned up the coil packs, added bigger injectors, started tuning.

Mnelson and joebush44 like this.
  30. Eazy_E_Rich

So my latest push has been to get rid of the sync loss from the CAM position sensor. Basically sync loss is when the ECU loses the exact position of the engine in it's rotation. In my case this was happening because the CAM position sensor the EG33 is equiped with is rather finicky. These old school VR sensors need a lot of adjustment to give the aftermarket ECU a clean signal.
    [​IMG]
    Factory EG33 Cam position Sensor

My goal was to convert this sensor to a digital hall effect sensor so I would always have a clean signal into the ECU. Here's what I came up with.

I had a friend 3D print a housing for a Hall sensor I picked up for DigiKey which worked out very nicely:
    [​IMG]
    Cam sensor housing, 2 3D printed sleeves for the Hall sensor, screw, factory VR sensor

[​IMG]
    Factory Mount with generic Hall effect sensor

[​IMG]
    Sensor in place behind the cam.
    [​IMG]
    My luxurious repair station.

After installing this Cam sensor I was getting a much cleaner signal from the cam. I did find out though that I would still get sync loss over 4k RPM which was pretty frightening. Kinda feels like the car is just cutting out at high rpm and you basically go from wide open throttle to engine braking without warning. I've read other megasquirters using a resistor in-line with the Subaru VR sensors fixing this issue, but I decided I wanted to go full digital and add a second hall sensor for the Crank Position sensor, so I did this all over again.

This next image was after starting it up and revving it last night.
    [​IMG]
    Finally no sync loss!

So I proceeded to drive it this morning and so far so good.
    [​IMG]
    I did hit about 4500 RPM twice and I didn't have any issues. The next steps will be putting more miles on it, logging the data, then using that data to get the tune closer to perfect.

This part of the project was very tedious and at one point I didn't have the car running for about 2 weeks. Now that she's running again I think I've got a clear path forward.

It's been pretty sweet to ditch the factory ECU as the way Subaru had to solve problems in the early 90s was complicated and some of these things can easily be done now with cheap generic sensors, cheap electronics, and a bit more CPU power.

#Eazy

EricS, klutz, Krazylegz1485 and 4 others like this.
  31. Eazy_E_Rich

Finally got this thing stable running Megasquirt3.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    joebush44 likes this.
  32. Eazy_E_Rich

With the cam and crank sensors now working properly I thought it would be wise to future proof the design a bit more. The 3D printed housings were great for proof of concept but the melting temperature of the material (PLA) is 150-160C. Since this will be in the engine bay it is possible that the parts could see that temperature in the summer time. So I had a friend with a mill and lathe make them out of aluminum.
    [​IMG]

I also got the correct size tap to thread them so I will only need to use one of the provided nuts, which really helps for the crank sensor as I won't have to remove the timing cover to get at the bottom of the sensor. Since I have a spare engine with no timing cover on it's super easy for me to get the spacing correct.

Next up I'm adding a capacitor between the coils and the ECU for a less noisy circuit, I've got to weld my rear sway bar mount as it seems to have snapped off. I will probably make a NA Megasquirt drive video before I take the front apart to start welding up the manifolds.

Krazylegz1485 and joebush44 like this.
  33. Eazy_E_Rich

34. tangledupinblu

Digging it mang! I hope that it goes as easy as it looks like it could go. Lol. I take it that some extensive research went into using the DSM turbos and manifolds?

I’m starting to get really excited for more of this! Looking forward to seeing those turbos matched up to the reversed manifolds!

Also, are you ceramic coating them after the media blaster, or leaving them raw?

35. Eazy_E_Rich

Mostly it was the fact that I could get the turbos for $100 each. I did do the math for displacement thought. They were paired with the two liter engine in the 2G DSM and they will serve 1.65l each on the H6.

They are getting sandblasted currently, once the welding is done I may get them coated, but we will see.

36. Eazy_E_Rich

More turbo thoughts from last night.
    [​IMG]

These turbos are going to fit nicely, not 100% sure about the current intercooler option though.

[​IMG]

Hacked up a lot of the bumper for more room for intercoolers and turbos.
    [​IMG]

More to come.

-Eazy

Chux, tangledupinblu and joebush44 like this.
  37. tangledupinblu

Noice! We are going to need to get you a couple more MnSubaru hats if you’re going to wear them working. lol

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  38. Eazy_E_Rich

Love those hats, I think @Mitchum gave them to me when I bought a set of wheels from him. I am due for a new one for sure!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Mitchum and tangledupinblu like this.
  39. Eazy_E_Rich

joebush44 and tangledupinblu like this.
  40. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

I was stoked when youtube put your latest video on my home page. Excited to see the next one!

Eazy_E_Rich likes this.
  41. Eazy_E_Rich

Thanks for the support. I'm guessing the next should be out by the end of the week.

Mnelson likes this.
  42. tangledupinblu

I felt like dancing. :) Nice soundtrack and looking forward to the next one!

Now i’m going to go have a beer and watch Top Gear.

Eazy_E_Rich and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  43. Eazy_E_Rich

44. Eazy_E_Rich

tangledupinblu, TMF and joebush44 like this.
  45. tangledupinblu

This is making me very excite.

retreif likes this.