Emissions Testing?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by minnesotanice, Sep 26, 2019.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I heard today that Minnesota is looking at adopting California-esque emissions laws and testing for vehicles.

See here.

I feel like this makes sense in terms of high population areas, but personally I don't think Minnesota would fall under that umbrella.

Also, as a person driving a vehicle with modified exhaust, I feel that this is a personal attack and the government is coming after me and only me! THEY'VE BEEN WATCHING ME!

2. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

What I read here in your link is referring to new cars, not existing.

3. minnesotanice

It talks of the fleet of the brands vehicles but do you think that means would be only for those vehicles? Or would we have to undergo emissions and smog testing each year as they do in California, and even other states?

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I no longer have to worry about this. I was wondering how long it would be before MN did this.

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

That's kinda what I was picking up. Emissions laws on "collector" cars would absolutely blow.

6. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

One of the good things that Jesse did for Minnesota. Got rid of emissions testing.

euro, silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine all the cars i see in Elk River daily that wouldn't pass just due to surviving over 10 winters of road salt.

02subbieRS and minnesotanice like this.
  8. minnesotanice

But is new cars just cars out of the factory? Or anything under XX years old? It would make sense to grandfather those purchased before the law is in place, but you never know.

9. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Based on everything I've looked up so far it would just be New out of the factory cars requiring certain MPG targets (Obama era mandates). Literally not much to what he said yet.

10. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Aren't they basically proposing this out of spite due to Trump talking about abolishing all emissions testing nation wide? That's what I got out of it. Everything has to be a dick swinging contest these days

02subbieRS and minnesotanice like this.
  11. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

We used to have emissions testing in MN. I remember doing it once on my Mazda back in the day. I hope this doesn't come back.

12. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I hated the emissions testing! It was all fun and games until they made you drive onto the rollers.