Fall Colors Cruise-2013

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by SurlyOldManMN, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Haha gotta have that funk!

2. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I'm a little sketchy on the snow in the forecast as I'm guessing most of us are on summer tires yet. I'm going to keep watching tomorrow to see how that plays out. It might be prudent to push a week. We'll see.

3. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Any updates surlyoldman?

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Not that it really concerns me since I can't make it either weekend, but I think a lot of color will be gone from the immediate area if you wait another week. The below freezing overnight temps that are forecast the next few nights will cause a lot of leaves to drop.

5. SurlyOldManMN

I'm gonna go for it. Looks like snow will just graze that area. I'll just keep the pace a bit more cautious.

6. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Cool than I am in too. I live up in Plymouth and need to drop by another members house in rosmount then I will be at wal mart in inver grove. I hope to be there by 10 but just in case what time do you plan in starting out from there?

7. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I will still be there. Will likely be in the infiniti though.

8. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Go topless or go home.

tangledupinblu and tehfuzz like this.
  9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'll still be there! Ok I need some sleep.

10. readymix

There is a possibility of snow or freezing rain tomorrow. No.

11. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Combination of today's temperature, precipitation, and high performance tires makes me nervous. I'm going to back out. I meant to get my winters put on this week, but didn't have time.

12. SurlyOldManMN

Getting geared up!

As you're likely all aware by now, forecast calls for rain with possible snow. Stockholm Pies DOES NOT have inside seating for us, meaning if we want to eat there we're going to be outside somewhere.

*** PLEASE DRESS APPROPRIATELY ***

I'll be playing the route by ear. There are a few optional sections by Stockholm Pies that I'm not sure about when they get wet. Most likely I'll cut the twisty bit right after Stockholm and head straight down 35 towards Nelson. I'll communicate any changes as we go along.

I will have an FRS radio with me if anyone else brings theirs. Please bring one if you'd like.

See you all at 10!

13. SurlyOldManMN

I'm still on my summers and given recent events I'm probably more cautious than most. Pace will be adjusted appropriately for whatever conditions we encounter. I'm not planning on railing around any of the twisty bits if the roads are wet. This isn't a fun run, you'll be fine if you come out. I'm not going to put your tires on limit. :)

Understandable if people are going to sit it out though. Just let me know.

91 Subaru T-Leg and TMF like this.
  14. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Come dood, you'll be fine!

15. SurlyOldManMN

16. SurlyOldManMN

Leaving Apple Valley now. :frantic:

Kevin Harrington likes this.
  17. readymix

I plan on meeting you guys at King's. I'll be leaving around the time you're leaving IGH Walmart.

Kevin Harrington likes this.
  18. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

We are at the inver heights walmart and don't see anyone here...

19. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Just got home from the cruise! It was a god time. I mean what's not to like. Good cars, good food, good roads. Good pie, and I even picked up some good beer! It was good meeting the few guys that did show up!

readymix likes this.
  20. SurlyOldManMN

Great cruise! We had 6 cars and 9 people in total, which was kind of a nice little run group. Road conditions were just fine until we got most of the way back up 61 on the return trip.

The weather cooperated briefly with us on the Miesville to Stockholm leg. I have a little bit of footage from that point until my camera died. King's was frankly disappointing with the service. They were on the ball last weekend but I had to stalk our server to cash out today. They overcooked the fries after taking 45 minutes to deliver food. That bummed me out because the waffle fries were excellent last time.

I think the weather worked in our favor when we got to Stockholm Pies. Both times I've been there lead me to expect an out-the-door line and extremely limited selection given our arrival time. When we showed up they were only moderately busy and there was TONS of different pie to choose from. Looking forward to trying that triple chocolate pecan...

Unfortunately I had a now-customary navigation snafu and drove right by Pepin Heights AND highway 5. Apparently everyone but me saw it but me. I'm going to turn that into a positive and use Pepin Heights as part of a destination cruise for next year. Nelson Creamery was surprisingly well appointed so that may be an actual DnD meal destination at some point. It reminded me of the vibe and selection at Cafe Latte. Definitely an "eat street" type joint. If I do that, I'll throw in an orchard run as well.

The second pass through 7 (which I did in anger after screwing myself out of a run up 5) was good times. Hopefully those still hanging with me enjoyed the run.. :coffee:

We also ran into the mini club having their annual cruise in the Nelson Creamery parking lot. Apparently their group is comprised of folks who are capable of not only rolling out of bed before noon for a good drive, but they're actually able to put together annual 3-4 day destination cruises where they split rentals of lodges/etc and end up paying $100/person for a whole weekend railing around in some far flung location. Food for thought...

Ctracey218 likes this.
  21. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Oh yeah! Haha my wife was bummed we didn't get apples, but it was a good time. You'll have to let me know next time you make a cruise down to the orchard. It was a good time and yeah that end trip with you and legacy was good.
    It was a bit wet at the end there though.

22. SurlyOldManMN

Yeah, I'm bummed about the apples too. They really are that good. If I get a wild hair up my ass I might run down just to get some more next weekend before they're gone for a year.

I tracked down the mini group to. They are "Minnesota United Minis" (MUM). I'll be stalking them to steal their secrets to convincing 10 cars worth of people to prepay road warrior weekends. :D

23. Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harrington Member

Yeah I might have my wife start a profile on their page since she drives one. I don't want to get too involved with them a ince I work for them and I have to be carful with all those politics.

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but giving our club more than 6 days of notice for a cruise will yield a much larger turn out. Like lax for example... Months of notice and huge turn out.

Anyway, I'm off my soap box. Pete, that was an excellent cruise! Very well organized, awesome roads, delicious stopping points and beautiful views! The weather was Ok and the group managed to stay together very well. This continues to be one of my favorite cruises and looking forward to next year!

Subie Lovers likes this.
  25. 91 Subaru T-Leg

91 Subaru T-Leg Well-Known Member

It was nice meeting the people that came out for the cruise. It was lots of fun and it was my first time cruising in my subaru and cruising with a group of people. I defiantly enjoyed the twisties on hwy 7 both ways, AA and CC. I'm glad I was able to go nice little brake from my busy schedule. Well hope you see you guys again either at another cruise or if I can some meets

26. SurlyOldManMN

Behind the scenes I was planning a colors cruise since May/June. We had some logistical issues that led me to scrap it for this year. I decided to just go for it anyway at the last minute. I didn't expect a big turnout given the notice. Next year I'll be more aggressive about dogging vendors/etc so I can ensure proper lead times and move on if necessary should they drag their feet. Lesson learned...

Ctracey218 likes this.
  27. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I went to bed at 6 am, woke up at 930, looked at the radar, and promptly went back to sleep. for another 14 hours.

28. readymix

It sprinkled for all of the drive to the first location in Miesville. After that, it remained dry for the rest of the day. Maybe next time, you'll look at the storm track not just the color and size of the blobs on the map.

29. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^Lawlz!!!

tehfuzz likes this.
  30. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Maybe next time I'll have more than three hours of sleep before I see rain on the radar. Sleep was more a factor than weather

31. wrxwied

wrxwied Member

I would have raised my hand for this cruise if I hadn't been driving to and from Duluth this weekend. Good weekend for Fall colors!

[​IMG]

32. jas3087

jas3087 Well-Known Member

Bumpski for 2000+14. Any thoughts for this year's trip

33. Chris Ruhland

Chris Ruhland Member

Dang wish I would have seen this. Looked like fun :)

34. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I would be down as long as it's a weekend.

35. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Well-Known Member

Is this happening this weekend? Noticed the last info was 2013....?

36. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

No. It was just "bumped" by a member. This was the date of last year. I don't know if anyone is heading this up...but if someone wants to start a thread and head up an event for whoever would like to go, they can!

Tha intranetz are a great place to drum up some handraisers!

tehfuzz likes this.
  37. ScoobySnack

Im no good at organizing events, but this sure sounds like fun!
    Why isn't this going on this year?

38. EricS

EricS Nooberator

The person who's organized it the past few(?) years is unable to this year, but it's totally cool if one or more members want to step up and organize something low-key for 2014!

39. JavaBlack-Beast

JavaBlack-Beast Member

lets do it! This forum a little more meets then what it has.....

40. ScoobySnack

Yeah, we just need to get people to commit to a date/time and then we'll steal last years itinerary :thumbup:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  41. Jnguyen

Jnguyen Well-Known Member

I'd be good to go for this too if we can get something together quick! Fall colors are already here!

42. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Start a new thread and gauge interest ;)

idget and TMF like this.
  43. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Bingo!

tehfuzz likes this.
  44. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

When???

45. ScoobySnack

If it doesn't happen this weekend, there wont be any leaves...