Firestone Temporary Venue Change Discussion

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by readymix, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

With our boneheaded state government pissing away the federal transportation money on a light rail, University Avenue is going to be destroyed this summer so they can bring a train through the center of it. So, while the transportation department is busy wrecking traffic flow and installing a useless trolley system, we will need to find a new place to meet up on Fridays.

Post up some suggestions, and please, for the love of all that is holy, spell your locations correctly and provide a google maps link to the location so we can see what's going on.

Also, if you say Uptown, you will not only have your idea deleted, you will also receive a 24 hour ban for even considering such a dumb idea.

2. tank1987

tank1987 Well-Known Member

If this has been an idea before, sorry. But how about top floor at the MOA (Mall of America) obviously we all know, its in Bloomington. Dont really know if thats an option, but it seems like it would work. And be a decent place to meet up. Just throwing the idea out there. Either way Im looking forward to finding out where it will get moved too.

3. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

^ I like this idea because I live right next to the mall...lol, however I don't know if it would be a good idea.

4. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

Lake Calhoun :biggrin: OH yeah, people on the WEST side of the cities find this convenient, but not the east people. Just messing with ya.

Maybe somewhere around downtown White Bear Lake? I'm not familiar with St. Paul enough to suggest any other venues.

5. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

+1 for the MOA if it is a valid option. Only a 10 minute drive for me :)

6. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

The other BIG thing to remember, is we would like to have the ok/permission to be there. I have personally talked to the people who own the firestone/milbern lot and they have given us permission to hang out. Just because it looks like it might be a good place to go, we also have to make sure the land owners are ok with the potential for 100+ subarus showing up and hanging out.

Russ

7. tank1987

I wonder if there is any way we could get in contact with management at MOA, to see if it would be okay, I like the idea just cause ramps are neat areas for pictures there will be lights. But obviously whoever it is we talk to I suppose we would almost have to guarantee there wouldnt be any racing around, driving through trying to make a rukus...

Joel

8. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

Doesn't North St. Paul have a cruisin/ oldies night on fridays? My dad used to talk about always seeing nice cars up by his work in North St. Paul.

9. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Welp, if anyone needs me, I'll be in anoka.

10. readymix

You never come to Firestone anymore anyway, butthole.

11. readymix

LOL, I barely find Firestone convenient. It takes me nearly half an hour to get there as it is.

12. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Yes it does. I vote for it because it is a 3 second drive for me. Lots of muscle cars (3 to 4 blocks), bars, outside stuff going on..... with that being said also lots of cops! As well not sure where we could meet.... the street only allows old cars to park and cruise. We would have to find somewhere outside the main event area. Maybe the bank parking lot by Century (120) and 7th street.

13. AWDimprezaL

Its WINTER you asspube, I'm not 19 anymore, I dont want to screw around in parking lots, circle jerking, watching ****ty snow drifts, with a bunch of flat brimmed hat and skinny jean wearing chumps.

dustin8511 likes this.
  14. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Here's is there simulation of the light rail's route. Looks like there's no more parking on the side streets of University.

[youtube]v9Wtl_tZgRI[/youtube]

The Como Park area is a decent place. There are fire rings there.... Park hours are like sunrise to 11p.m.
    Friday nights are going to be tough. The ZOO closes at 6pm.... but the Rides closes at 8pm during the summer. Families start to leave for home after 6pm. There is a BIG field for football... soccer, kit flying if you want. Then the fire rings for at night. Pot LUCK anyone????

What are the hours that parks are open?

Saint Paul city parks are open from sunrise to 11:00 p.m. unless otherwise posted. For safety reasons parks can be subject to earlier closings or delayed opening.

Is alcohol allowed in Saint Paul Parks?

No. Consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is not allowed in Saint Paul parks with the following two exceptions;

1. The possession and consumption of non-intoxicating malt liquor (containing not more than 3.2% alcohol by weight) between the hours of 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM and only within the designated areas of Cherokee Park, Como Park, Harriet Island Park, Highland Park, Phalen Park, Rice and Arlington, McMurray, Dunning ball fields, and Midway Stadium. No glass beverage containers are allowed.

2. Temporary liquor licenses to sell and/or serve beer, wine or alcohol at park facilities are available at the City License Inspector's Office with permission of the Director.

Is skate boarding allowed in Saint Paul Parks?

Skateboarding is only allowed within designated areas of Front and Merriam Park recreation centers. Skateboarding within all other city parks is prohibited.

Can we have a bonfire at the park?

Bonfires/recreational fires do not require a permit but are only allowed within designated fire rings. Fire rings are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the following parks: Como, Hidden Falls, Highland, Newell, and Phalen. A fire ring is also available in the Crosby Shelter, which can be reserved during the picnic season (approximately May - September) with payment of the applicable permit fee.

May I walk my dog in the park without a leash as long as they stay right next to me and are very well behaved?

All dogs, even the best trained dogs, are required to be restrained on a leash no more than six feet in length in all Saint Paul parks except within the designated off leash area provided at Arlington/Arkwright dog park.. Owners must have in their possession a method of feces removal. Violation of these rules may result in a fine of $108.00.

Answers to other questions as well as more detail on the previous questions may be found within the current park rules and regulations.

15. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

16. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

17. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

running aces in forest lake has open parking every friday night for any car model. we could hang out there but it is out of the cities. at least the owners are ok with it

18. Jackstand

Jackstand Well-Known Member

I kinda like Fuji's Idea as well

19. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

I haven't asked anyone, but I know other car groups have had meetings and shows in this location, but I would suggest the SW parking ramp in Eden Prairie at the bus station. There are a couple of places to eat, and there should be plenty of parking.

Or we could meet in Uptown, possibly next to Urban Outfitters?

20. carl

carl Well-Known Member

haha, enjoy your ban

also, screw ep and their cops

21. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

This!

Dont subaurban cops have better things to do than give out tint and exhaust ticket?

Como park is the best idea so far but its all residential around there. Hard to get food and can be a nuisance to the residents. Somewhere in a comercial or industrial district might work out well. Keep the ideas coming!

22. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

ahh..... Rainbow foods is just up the street on Larpenter... Further up is Harmar and Rosedale. As long as we aren't revving so much.... lol The rides and music from the Zoo is lots of noise. lol

23. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

how about the big parking lot next to moa that they had that ricer pizza photo shoot last fall? it was large and seemed to me to be just over flow parking for MOA

8201 24th Ave S
    Bloomington, MN 55425

24. TickTack

TickTack Well-Known Member

I know a handful of my euro buddies are planning on cty 10 in mounds view. Plenty of road to cruise, a little safer, plenty of parking, food, etc nearby. The mermaid!?

25. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^^^I don't know about the euro buddies;) but I do like the area. Lots o highway patrol and local police on that stretch though(may not be an issue)

26. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

Planning some shenanigans there bro? ;) Cops should be a problem unless they are dicks that don't like us

27. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I'm not that type so....no. Being a dick has little to do with it, they have a job to do and when large groups of cars/people start popping up all over town and acting like weve all seen them act, they're gonna be handling many calls from businesses, homeowners etc.......wait and see. University ave. is a pretty unique area with its leniency for people hanging around and it still has its fair share of dick drivers and dick cops.

28. AWDimprezaL

How about one of the mall parking lots off of snelling? I'm sure that will be the new cruise spot anyways.

29. idget

Yeah, I could call up Harmar to see what's up with that lot. The Northwest side (between BWW and Old Chicago) is usually full on weekends but the Southwest corner (between the bookstore and Chianti grill) is usually pretty empty.

There is a smaller mall just North across County B that has a gas station, Chinese restaurant, Outback, Batteries Plus, etc... that might also work. They're usually pretty dead but I think there's only one entrance/exit into that lot. I'm not sure who to contact but I had a connection with the owner of the Chinese joint a few years back. Not sure if they still own the place but I think the name changed. I'll call around and check it out this weekend.

linky:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...05206,-93.16388&spn=0.00644,0.016061&t=h&z=17

If you're thinking of that area, there's also the lot where the old Chianti Grill used to be right on the corner of Larpenteur and Snelling next to the comic book place. The lot next to that is also unoccupied. No idea who to contact for those tho...

30. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Harmar might be a really good spot. I like this idea, tons of places to eat and a big empty parking lot.

31. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

I vote for harmar.

32. readymix

OK, apparently I need to reiterate my "No Uptown" rule. No uptown. The only times I go to Uptown is usually during the week at night, and getting around in there is an absolute hassle. It isn't going to happen.

Second, keep it in the metro proper, for god's sake. Mounds View? Forest Lake? You do realize that premium gas costs 3.80/gal right? It already takes me about a 1/3rd of a tank of gas to get to Firestone and back home. The Como suggestion by Fuji is good, as is the Harmar suggestion. They are central, not too far from the original locale, and offer decent parking without too much drama.

33. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

There's really only one option as I see it. It's gotta be the Planned Parenthood lot in Uptown. Subaru + family planning = Awesome!

View attachment 24331

34. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

LOL! at all the Uptown suggestions! I also vote uptown and family planning hahah! jk..I dont think ill make much of these with gas being so expensive. i like the harmar suggestions. what about make a east and west meet, one for each side of the city on fridays. maybe thats a terrible idea but it might work.

35. idget

How about a North, South, East, and West meet so everyone is happy? Yeah, terrible idea lol

Central is the key methinks.

Uptown can kiss my ass. I lived there for 4 years and that was 5 too many.

36. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I say we hold them at Sheen's house

37. idget

no.

I prefer further away so I can actually get my car up to temp. Firestone and Harmar are close enough that I might as well Fuji it over there on my 16-speed.

38. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

I like the zoo idea.

And heel&toe almost made me laugh out of my chair with the Planned Parenthood remark!

39. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

orly you want race????? Don't make me take out my LEGEND!!!!! ;)

40. idget

I'm game

[youtube]yX4nUhURAJg[/youtube]

lol

41. readymix

Have you seen the typical Subaru owner demographics? I don't think there is any need to worry about family planning when everyone on the playing field has a baseball bat.

42. tank1987

Very glad someone said this. Was starting to think no way Im showing up if its gonna be on the north end of the cities. As Im coming from a ways away from that.

43. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Hey all,

A few thoughts on picking a new location, some of which were already mentioned but I think they are important to reiterate.

1. Any large, predominately male group with "loud" cars is going to draw attention. Therefore property owner and even local police permission (or at least letting the City know) is definitely advisable.

2. Most commercial property owners (unless its an automotive related business or the owner is an enthusiast) are not going to tolerate or allow any gathering that in anyway deters from their business. MOA is great in theory b/c of location but they want people parking there that are going inside to spend money, not hang out outside.

3. Can't forget nearby food and bathrooms

4. Legally we can always gather at a public park but we would more then likely need to be out by 10pm per most city ordinances and/or county/state park rules.

Has anyone thought of asking a non-profit in exchange for volunteer hours and/or donations? I always wondered why someone didn't negotiate something with Goodwill since it's in such a prime spot on University. I'm sure they would love the donations and any volunteer help they could get. If you get even 15 people to put in 4 hours one Saturday morning, that's huge for any non-profit company. Not to mention it helps MNSubaru's reputation in the community (which helps when dealing with the cops too).

FYI - I deal with commercial real estate and city ordinances regarding permitting at work everyday. So if the club needs any input on what certain city's allow just let me know and I can take a look at their ordinance to see what I can find out.

Again the key will be knowing a property owner and/or being able to provide some mutual benefit to the owner. No one wants to do something for nothing, especially when they could become liable or be stuck with pissed off neighbors in the future.

I hope this helps. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

- James

44. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

would be my new signature!!! if we could change it!

45. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

This is why keeping it in St. Paul is a good idea. The St. Paul police already know that we cause little to no problems. They always left us alone at Firestone due to our good behavior.

1st or 2nd ring suburbs should absolutely NOT be considered. Being convenient for one person means it will be a pain in the ass for someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.