First set of snows: Blizzak DM-V2 vs X-Ice Xi3

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason Hex, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

First set of 17" snow tires for my 2014 Forester XT (2nd winter in Twin Cities). I'm using TireRack and leaning toward either Blizzak DM-V2 $142 or Xice $153 with steel wheels and no sensors. Anyone got any input? I'm favoring the Xice. Thanks!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

General Altimax Arctics on steelies.

Peder and SaggyWagon like this.
  3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I had the older X-Ices on my MINI and those tires sucked pretty hard. Blizzaks were alright on my SJ FXT, but I'd definitely go Altimaxes or get real snows with Nokians.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, either of those are going to be an excellent tire.

The Generals aren't quite as good, but fantastic for the money, and worlds better than the best all-season.

I ran a set of steel wheels for snow tires once (Worth mentioning they had about 150k miles on them when I got them, but OEM). They were ruined from road salt, rusty to the point of some seriously nasty leaks well before the tires were worn. Never again, alloys do corrode, but not nearly as badly. They're stronger, lighter and better looking, too.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

We have the Michelins on our 2013 Escape. Great tire. Had the Generals on my mother-in-law's 2010 Escape...I hated them as they were very noisy on the highway. Just my opinion.

Jason Hex likes this.
  6. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

I have Blizzak WS80's on the RA. I would never buy anything else. Blizzak FTW!

7. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I've had Goodyear Ultra Grips, Blizzaks, and now Nokians (Hakkapeliitta R2). I've been more than satisfied with all 3.

8. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Depends on your expected typical conditions. If you're in the TC metro where snow is going to be cleared within 12-24 hours then the xice's are very nice. If you're in an outlying area or otherwise expect to deal with snow cover a lot more regularly than the blizzaks are the better choice.

Jason Hex, predavore and jubella2 like this.
  9. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I suggest you try the new (to the US) Continental Viking Contact 7...looks like they are just a few bucks more for OEM sizing. They get great reviews, and so far have been great on the STi.

10. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

asking about tires is almost as bad as asking about oil change intervals

11. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

run them until you have engine failure since its inevitable anyway?

pillboy and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Do whatever you feel like as long as it is equal to or less than the manufacturer's recommendation.

13. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

It is true. Winter tires are a preference thing. I am sure either choice would be fine in the snow and perform much better than all seasons.

14. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I put x-ice on my wife's car since we have more ice days than snow days. I have Blizzaks on my WRX since I got them cheap. They are OK. I have Generals on my Forester since I got a good deal on them. I've had Nitto snow tires in the past. Of all, I like the Generals for me... I like the X-ice's for the wife... and the Blizzaks are just fine on the WRX. FYI, I put the X-ices on the wife's new car again.

15. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

Thanks put the Xice's on - liked your advice.

16. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

Regardless of tire choice, I recommend putting a zip code in that is more than 40 miles from Tire Racks Roseville distribution center. Doing so will allow you to get a $40 discount for picking them up in Roseville. I just picked up a set of Xice3's last week. Love them so far.

Krazylegz1485 and Chux like this.