Forester SJ XT Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Clem, Oct 24, 2016.

1. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the one thing I appreciated with Nissan was they started doing the midnight editions where its all chrome deleted.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  2. Clem

Clem Active Member

All I have left for chrome is alone the windows. I bit the bullet a while back and just bought the non-chromed rockers and sold the other one the Forester Forum. Its a little goofy that the chrome trim on the rear windows are built into the glass. Thats the only thing keeping me from doing anything about it.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  3. curly2k3

plastidip or vinyl it?

4. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

What are your wheel specs? Looks great!

5. Clem

Clem Active Member

I’m having a strange lighting issue that seemed to happen this morning. The headlight on indicator light on my dash doesn’t illuminate, in any position (auto, full on), but the headlights come on and the foglights don’t, in any position (auto, running lights, full on). However, the running lights indicator light on my dash does illuminate in all positions except for off.

I’m looking through forums right now to see what I can come up with. Maybe its a fuse somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I know that if your DRL resistor is unplugged, you lose the indicator. Do you DRLs come on?

7. Clem

Clem Active Member

DRLs do come on. High beam indicator works as well.

8. subiet

subiet Well-Known Member

Thanks, Went with 17's Method Race MR502 on Cooper AT3 235/60/17. Stock diameter pretty much.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  9. subiet

subiet Well-Known Member

I installed a 2" Torklift hidden hitch over the weekend (1 person install, not recommended but dangerously doable). Hidden for the win --looks factory.

IMG_3025.jpeg IMG_3027.jpeg

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looks great!!

11. Clem

Clem Active Member

I think I’m going to do this “Big 3” mod. I also don’t know why I waited so long to upgrade my battery. Just swapped in a Red Top 35.

12. curly2k3

yeah I really need to upgrade the Nissan one that's sitting in mine

13. Clem

Clem Active Member

Also going to pop the bumper of tomorrow and go over all my HID wiring. My headlights and dome lights flicker a little while idling after the engine is warmed up. I need to clean my positive battery terminal. I noticed that its greased... not sure why that was done.

14. curly2k3

Mine does it as well with the non-HID's even, Morries tested the battery and even tried a brand new one and it also did it.

15. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Dielectric grease. Just to prevent corrosion. Because nobody cleans the battery terminals these days.

16. Clem

Clem Active Member

This is where I’m at wit my fog lights and the headlight indicator... checked all fuses pertaining to headlighs, fog lights and illumination. They’re all good. I can hear relays clicking, but I’m going to swap out the fog light relay and see if the works.

Inspected the fog lights themselves. I don’t notice anything out of the ordinary except for some slight bubbling of the plastic around the connections... they could’ve burnt out. Other than the swapping out the relay, what else should I check?

Seems like there are a lot of issues with these Morimoto XB fog lights. My first pair had faulty beam adjusters.

17. JuStaWRX

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such issue with these! I lucked out and (*knock on wood) haven't had any issue yet. Those or the STi steering wheel are tied for my favorite mod yet...

18. Clem

Clem Active Member

Another update on my fog light issues. They are actually working, BUT only when I turn. After I turn, the light on that side will turn back off after a few seconds. I wonder if there is something funky with the SRF stuff.

Last update: I am a dumbass... fixed the problem.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

what was the issue clem?

20. Clem

Clem Active Member

You know that turn switch on the blinker handle thingy that comes out of the circle thing you use to steer the car... somehow it was switched to off :facepalm::asshat::shifty:

Never touched it in my life. Didn’t even know it was there. The takeaway from all of this... I learned where all the fuses, relays and wiring paths of my headlights and fog lights are.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  21. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hey, at least it was an inexpensive fix!

Clem likes this.
  22. tangledupinblu

Lesson learned!

23. Clem

Clem Active Member

Threw a P0137 code the other at 42k miles. Oxygen sensor voltage low, bank 1 sensor 2. Was able to have Morrie’s replace it under the 60k drivetrain warranty. They were reluctant to do the work, but finally agreed under their “goodwill” policy or some ****.

24. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Mine threw a similar code but I cleared it a couple times and it just never came back on.

25. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

20190312_173112_HDR(1).jpg After having my 2018 Crosstrek for about 13 months I decided it was time for somthing a little faster. (Thought the 6 speed might make it a bit more enjoyable but didnt) so I traded it in on Monday and picked up a 2017 FXT limited. Best decision I made. The forester is nicer in every way. It's stock for now.

Attached Files:

JuStaWRX, tangledupinblu and ryjacobs like this.
  26. tangledupinblu

Looks great!!

27. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Probably a stupid question, but how does everybody like their SJ Fozzy XT? I'm looking at a 2015 in the next day or two, and would like to get other people's opinions. Current vehicle is a 2005 Outback 3.0, and I'm 6'5", so I'm hoping this might be a little more comfortable for me, and I know right off the bat it will give me better gas mileage. Help me out here.....sell me (or don't) on this vehicle! Looking forward to hopefully joining the Forester family! Thanks.

28. tangledupinblu

Buy
    buy the white one that @curly2k3 has. He’s been talking about letting it go.

29. curly2k3

I like mine, seats are horrible, but have enjoyed the vehicle overall.

And I have been talking about that indeed, since we'll end up in BFE and commuting more than I already was, thinking a smaller ecobox will be a better daily for my current use case.

30. housemusic1

"Seats are horrible".....that doesn't sound encouraging, but I've got a 4.4 mile commute, so I can probably deal with it.

31. curly2k3

The seats are a let down, they don't have great bolstering and aren't super comfortable for long drives.

With that said, didn't bug me THAT much during the LAX cruise either.

32. housemusic1

Searching around online, it looks like the SJ FXT didn't come standard with a hitch??? Seems kind of odd that Subaru wouldn't make that "standard equipment".

33. curly2k3

Nope, no hitch standard and there's basically premium, or touring and then just a handful of options beyond that.

34. housemusic1

Yeah, I love leather interior too much, so it's gotta be touring trim for me. Loved my Outback for 5 years, but it's time for a new venture.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  35. JuStaWRX

@TMF can probably speak to the height/comfort piece... at 5'5'', I cannot. In fact, because of my height, I think that my biggest critique is based on that part. Like others have said, the seats. I have yet to find the comfortable seating position and I've had my '14 for 4 years. The back seat is great for space, and it's so easy to have passengers be comfortable in the back seat. I have fallen in love with this car more and more the longer I have it. Best upgrade I've made yet is a 2016 STi steering wheel. It's just has been a great overall vehicle for my needs.

36. housemusic1

Brought home Darla last night, and couldn't be happier! Only found a couple things that are odd with this vehicle, but they're not deal breakers. Love the ride height, and big front windshield. Other than that, she could use some winter rubber, but it's already March, so I'm not sure if I'll address that this winter, or just wait. Now comes the task of getting the RADWAGN sorted, and ready for sale.

20190315_080303-1024x739.jpg

tangledupinblu and JuStaWRX like this.
  37. tangledupinblu

Grats!

38. housemusic1

Is anybody here interested in meeting up, so I can hear what an aftermarket exhaust sounds like on their SJ? YouTube clipz can be misleading, and I'd like to get an idea of how bad the drone can be, before I pull the trigger on some new muffs. Thanks in advance!

39. JuStaWRX

I’d be in for an SJ meet up!
    I have the Nameless axleback muffler deletes (I am 90% sure my photos are on their website now), mated to the OEM mid-pipe which to me, is just perfect.

Just took off the rack basket to put my bike rack back on today, and it looks so weird without it!

housemusic1 likes this.
  40. housemusic1

Nameless makes an excellent product. I've had both their muffler deletes and their 5" mufflers on my Outback. The drone ended up being the deal breaker for me. It's hard to get a N/A wagon to not be one big drone machine. The wife wouldn't even ride in it, and the neighbors hated me too. Just let me know what you're thinking, and we can meet up for some grub, and SJ shenanigans. Kids are on spring break for the next week, and the only thing on my agenda is getting the Outback ready for sale.

41. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I'LL CRASH IT WITH MY SH!!!

42. curly2k3

FWIW, I'll probably be selling my Nameless exhaust I had grabbed for my FXT, looking like I might grab a GTI for a smaller daily.

housemusic1 likes this.
  43. housemusic1

Did you ever install it? If so, what mid pipe did you run? I guess the mid pipe is what determines if you end up with a nice little rumble, or an obnoxious fart can.

44. curly2k3

I did not, bought it off a guy who had it on his wrx for a short while, never got around to installing it myself. I planned on using the factory midpipe, so everything on the Forester forums indicated it'd be deeper in tone, but still pretty tame for cruising and start up.

45. housemusic1

So, does anybody else have issues with their knees rubbing on the interior trim? My right knee is fine, but my left knee rubs on the trim under the door handle, and hurts like hell after long driving stints. Anybody?