Forester SJ XT Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Clem, Oct 24, 2016.

1. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

I'm game. You guys will be so jealous of my steelies! :facepalm:

SkeetsWisconny and Clem like this.
  2. Clem

Clem Active Member

I'd be in, too... hoping "Santa" gets me that Nikon D3300 I've been asking for :uhhuh:. Would be a shweet photo opportunity.

It'd be fun to turn some heads from seeing a group of Foresters caravanning around.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Count me in as well! I know of a couple spots in the metro with decent driving roads, but I'd be down for a little cruise outside of the metro. Picking a weekend during the holidays will be tough, so we might have to shoot for after the 1st.

4. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in that. Though, I don't foresee me being able to anytime soon - currently in the hospital with my expecting wife.

Made up my mind that I'm ordering a winter setup real soon...might even have to have them shipped to Abbott if things continue to progress like they are so I can get my little turkey home safely.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Clem

Clem Active Member

Hope everyone has a safe and joyful Thanksgiving!

6. SkeetsWisconny

I know I'm a bit behind u guys but trying to "catch up" with my new SJ. Finally made up my mind and ordered my winter setup yesterday and pulled the trigger on the sports grill after going back and forth between blacking out the factory grill and getting the sports grille. At the end of the day the black looks way better than chrome to everyone on the planet but the sports grille or sports grille blacked out looks best - let's be honest! Now my debate will be whether to black out the sports grille as Clem and others have done or leave it grey. I like the grey, I'm a bit nervous to paint it, and I've never plasti'ed anything before so I may be leaving it grey.

Morrie's offered me the 20% discount on the sports grille but I found a better deal online for $10 less and shipped to my door so couldn't argue with that.

Special thanks to TMF for giving me some direction on where to get a good buy on wheels right now! Found a good deal on some cheap wheels and went with the Michelin Xice Xi3 225x60x17 after some intense research. I debated between the Wintercontact Si's, the Hakkapeliitta R2's, and these and decided on the Michelin's as they performed nearly identically to the Hak's but for less $. However, I almost went with the Wonterccontact Si's cuz they are even less $ and still tested very well. Safe winter driving and happy belated Thanksgiving!

JuStaWRX and TMF like this.
  7. Clem

Clem Active Member

I actually had my sports grille vinyl wrapped in satin black. I tried plastidipping some smaller parts to test my skill and it didn't turn out very good. I debated having it painting, but a friend of mine just suggested vinyl. I think I paid ~$100 for that. Its just that now in a few years I'll have to either pealed it off when it gets worn or have it rewrapped... or painted.

8. SkeetsWisconny

Like that look a lot! However for me as much as it is nice to be able peel off and go back to the "stock" look I just won't have the time to tinker with my vehicle as much as I used to I'm afraid. I want my changes to be an end result as much as I can possibly make them.

Also want to get rid of the blue in the Subaru emblems and still maintain the stock and subtle look so keep the star silver/chrome and just black out the background. Looking at the overlays as they seem like they would work pretty slick. Also potentially the steering wheel emblem overlay with the same colors: http://www.jdmfanaticvinyls.com/14-16-subaru-forester-carbon-fiber-emblem-front-rear-overlays/

Gotta order my plates soon too and there will be no blue in them moving forward - I'm an avid hunter and also love to fish so thinking the Minnesota "boat" plate is likely what I will go with. I will also likely pickup a plain black or (matching sports grill) gray license plate holder as well to keep the plates intact - prob just plain black though.

Was thinking of contacting Danielsternlighting.com for fog and running lightbulb changes or info on how to disconnect running lights - I hate that off-yellow lighting with my white HID's. Someone mentioned trying to change the C-lights to the running lights I think as well but electrical stuff is not my fortay (not that much is) and that might worry me a bit.

Fun stuff - any feedback? :)

9. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

As far as the overlays go, I have a set of fully blacked out vinyl overlays (matte black with gloss black stars) as well as a set with SWP background, and gloss black stars. I am going to put the black on black ones on mine, but if anyone is interested in the white ones i'd sell them pretty quick.

For the fog light change, I have read great things about the Morimoto XBs. That link may or may not be the exact ones for SJs. That is my goal eventually, but the tinted version. I think that is what @Schlanseay had in his '15 FXT, and he may be able to give some input as well. The "C" running light switch is not overly complicated IIRC, but check out subaruforester.org for that one. They have pretty good write up on it.

Something else that it sounds that you may like if you haven't upgraded yet, is the Diode Dynamic LED interior lighting kit.

In regards to a potential cruise date, thoughts on possibly Saturday 1/14, or Sunday 1/15? I have to double check one more potential conflict, but I think personally, that would be a good one for me.

EDIT: Quick photo after the slap 'n scratch today.
    upload_2016-11-26_13-12-16.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Clem likes this.
  10. Clem

Clem Active Member

I've wanted to do the C light mod for awhile now and the only thread I found on SubaruForester.org was "how to turn anything into a DRL".

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ite/20556/topics/348713?page=1&postid=3639041.

My electrical skills of damn near non-existent, so the info was not very comprehendible.

I've found many threads on completely disabling the DRL's, which seams very straight forward.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...155297/#/forumsite/20556/topics/155297?page=1

Disclaimer: I am not condoning the disabling of a safety feature. Mod at your own risk (we're all adults here).

I can second on the Diode Dynamics interior lighting. Very cost-effective upgrade.

I think either of these dates would work for me.

11. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks! I was also looking into those Morimoto's as I read good things about them as well - not sure yet though.

Interior lights really don't bother me but like u said cheap upgrade so I'm going to place an order shortly with Diode - thanks!

Appreciate those links and feedback guys!

12. SkeetsWisconny

Placed my order with Diode Dynamics to upgrade lights throughout the inside of the vehicle and license plate lights. I also ordered LED fog light bulbs - we'll see how they look when I get them in. They were less $ than doing the full Morimotos and should be considerably less labor but we'll see what the end results are. Primarily looking to closely match the look of my HIDs while maintaining or potentially improving functionality of the fog lights while keeping reliability intact.

I also ordered emblem overlays from jdmfanaticvinyls.com - went with chrome "stocklike" emblem color and flat black background. Just wanted to rid the blue - this is how Subaru should make them from the factory in my opinion.

Anyone know off-hand what years the STi rear swaybar is a direct replacement for the SJ's? That is one last thing I want to order in for a bit and than I should be able to stay busy in the garage for a while...if I even make it out there in the near future.

13. JuStaWRX

I believe anything 08+.

I have an 08 STi RSB that is still sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I am waiting to get the Whiteline endlinks for the install. I think it would be possible to reuse the current endlinks, but when it's installed, I'd rather just do both at the same time.

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  14. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Wheels and tires arrived last week.

Wheels: 18x8 Enkei M52 in Matte Gray
    Tires: 225/55/18 Dunlop Winter Maxx

The snow tires will be mounted to the factory wheels and the original tires will be mounted to the new Enkeis in spring.

IMG_2946.JPG

15. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Excellent choice Ryan!

16. Clem

Clem Active Member

Wow, 1st and 2nd gear in manual mode are horrible. Trying to find that sweet-spot to shift into 2nd where it either doesn't do the weird rev thing after shifting nor the already-being-ready to shift into 3rd. There hardly even is a 2nd gear.

But hot damn, 3rd gear sure is fun!!

Where'dya get the wheels and tires from?

17. JuStaWRX

Tuesday night had my first "oh crap, the CVT" moment...

I was driving home from class, and all of a sudden, only on acceleration, the car started to whine extremely loudly. The driving was still relatively normal, and about 5 minutes later, the noise just stopped, and went back to normal. I panicked because of a video I had seen a few weeks ago with a very similar sound in a 2015 FXT. Nothing has happened since, but I am definitely taking it easier these next few days until I can take a minute to peak around. Looking forward to posting an all-clear post by the end of the weekend! *gulp*

(Other pertinent information: Engine was at normal operating temps, no change to fuels, 52,200 mi, yes - noises change with roof rack attachments and winter tires, but this was much louder/different pitch. )

18. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nooooooo!! Just when I find a car that I actually really like, people start having problems with them! I really hope it isn't your cvt going out. I'd check for leaks, and regardless, take it to the dealer to at least get a case documented....your powertrain warranty will be up soon. Keep us updated!

19. ryjacobs

Got them from Tire Rack!

20. SkeetsWisconny

Due for my first oil change. Curious what ya'll are runnin?

21. ryjacobs

We had our first oil change yesterday as well (at a little above 3,000 miles). I've always just used the Subaru branded synthetic.

Got the snow tires mounted up!
    IMG_3026.JPG

22. ryjacobs

Not sure if I mentioned that we also recently got WeatherTech mats (front and rear) and the Subaru seatback protectors.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  23. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

FYI Morries Minnetonka now carries Weathertech and they let me use the 20% off discount :cool:

I've been using the Subaru Synthetic Oil for the FXT, but a guy in the SJ facebook group said that the viscosity was pretty low on the used oil analysis that he did. If you're doing changes every 3k, it's probably fine. I am going to research some alternatives for the next oil change though.

24. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the kicker upgraded speakers? I have stock speakers just want to upgrade would love some input.

25. JuStaWRX

I LOVE my seat back protectors. When I was looking at the XVs (same time as the Foresters) they were coming standard. It was the first thing I purchased for the SJ after I purchased!

I also was about to order the WeatherTechs, but then decided on Husky (front and rear)as they came up higher on the sidewalls than the WeatherTech, and were a little bit cheaper. I have been very happy with them. My cargo tray is the Subaru OEM one.

26. Clem

Clem Active Member

I've been the oil changes at 3k intervals, using the Subaru Synthetic as well.

WeatherTech front and rear mats were one of the very first things I bought. I just left the dealer paper on the floor until my mats came in. I really liked them in my Impreza.

About the seat back protector... it seems to get jammed up at the bend point sometimes when trying to put the back seats upright again. Any one else run into this?

27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I have the Harmon kardon which actually sound pretty good, almost too much bass... Which can cause rattles. If you're wanting to upgrade speakers, I'd imagine the "oem" kickers are over priced and you could probably get better component speakers for cheaper. An amp helps as ton too (most of the HK systems have an amp).

28. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yes, same issue here, slightly annoying :/ I've tried repositioning the protectors but it doesn't seem to help. I just hold the flap out of the way when putting them upright.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  29. JuStaWRX

Same for me.

30. STI_guy

These bad boys came in today nameless axel back with 5" exhaust sounds a little quite to me but looks awesome.
    IMG_4737.jpg

31. Clem

Clem Active Member

Yea, if you're running them on the stock mid pipe, that big ole ugly resonator keeps thing pretty quite.

I'm sure someone can chime in and tell you to swap the mid pipe with one from a WRX :uhhuh:

Those mufflers are sweet, though!!

I've been noticing that my rear hatch gets sprinkled with what I believe to be desposit from the exhaust. There is also some carbon buildup on the tips.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  32. STI_guy

Yea stock midpipe gotta keep it quite for the new baby that will be here in 2 months.

33. Clem

Clem Active Member

Just ordered some stiffer exhaust hangers from Nameless. I don't really want to wait until spring to make adjustments, but its too cold for me to do any of the work on my own.

Do any of you have any recommendations for shops to do this work? I know any shop could swap out hangers, but I'm looking for a reputable place.

34. JuStaWRX

I have a buddy that has a shop in New Brighton, if you're interested. Their specialty is more so in the muscle world, but he has helped me do almost everything to both my previous WRX and my current FXT, and he is ASE Certified. It also is a "mom and pop" shop, which I always lean towards being a benefit in itself. It's called Beach's Long Lake Service on Long Lake Road (next door to Irondale High School). If you choose to go there, tell them Julian sent you.

35. kliquey

kliquey Active Member

I recently purchased a 2017 CBS XT and am enjoying it so far (I am almost at 200 miles). I'm wondering if anyone has an aftermarket remote starter installed on theirs and how they like it. I read that the dealer remote starter has very limited range so I am hesitant about purchasing from them.

Clem and SkeetsWisconny like this.
  36. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

I had a Compustar 2WG9 remote start (with the module for turning on the rear defroster) installed by Eric at TC Auto Spot - this is a 2-way system with 3,000 ft. range. TC Auto Spot has a lot of great reviews, and Eric has been excellent to work with. I have the keyless access and pushbutton start, so to "override" the system, when you remote start it, it first, unlocks all of the doors, starts the car, and then re-locks the doors once the car starts. Apparently this is the only way it can override the security system. It's a little unnerving to have the car unlock temporarily, but even if someone hopped in during the few seconds the car is unlocked and starting, as soon as you hit the brake, the car would die.

When I get to the car after remote starting, the keyless access works like normal (except the hatch...the engine dies when I try to open the hatch. If I use the remote to unlock the car first, then it doesn't die). After you get in the car, you have to wait 3 seconds after closing all of the doors before hitting the brake and putting it into Drive. If you hit the brake sooner than 3 seconds, the car dies and you have to restart it. Buckling your seat belt and getting settled usually takes at least 3 seconds anyway, so it isn't an issue.

Overall, it's a great system. However :( it's been a bit finicky. Every once in a while (like 1 in 7-8 remote starts) when I try to remote start it (I can't narrow down the exact situation), the car starts, and then turns off right away. The other annoying part, is the remote still beeps and confirms like it actually started :(. I contacted Eric and he gladly had me come back in to take a look at it. He did some research and apparently it is a common issue with the Compustar on the Forester. He changed a couple settings and it then worked perfectly every time in the shop, and it worked perfectly for me for about a week after. He said he would contact Compustar if it happened again.

Now, it still randomly fails starting :( So I need to contact Eric again and take it back in, and hopefully he can fix it this time around.

If they can get the issue fixed, I'd recommend the Compustar (I'll keep you updated). Regardless of the compustar, I would still recommend Eric as he's been great to work with.

Comparing this to the OEM remote start...they did release a OEM "long range" 2-way system for the keyless access/push button start Forester. However, I think the range is only 800 feet, and the car automatically turns off when you get to the car and open the door - so you have to restart it when you get in. Due to the shorter range and need to restart the car, I went with the aftermarket system. If I can't get the aftermarket system fixed though, I might look into the OEM remote start.

37. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to test the newer OEM system, it came installed in my car. It works fine, and I've never had an issue with range. The thing with the car turning off when I open the door does suck, but whatever. I do like that it's OEM and covered under the warranty.

sneefy and tangledupinblu like this.
  38. tangledupinblu

I'm sure it does.

But hey, it's still warm when you get in! What more can you really ask for?(especially whilst retaining the factory warranty)

clajiness likes this.
  39. SkeetsWisconny

What have people been paying for remote starters: oem vs afternmarket as well as any installation?

Finally mounted and balanced my new winter set of wheels and tires - squish!

40. STI_guy

I paid 600 for the OEM remote starter installed at Morries when I bought then car. Does any have rsr lowering springs installed, did you have any issues with it.

41. Clem

Clem Active Member

Went in again to have my passanger tail light replaced again for condensation buildup.

(Sorry for the upside down photo. When I uploaded it, it was in the right orientation.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  42. tangledupinblu

Damn Subarus. I'm surprised that they replaced it. Also surprised that replacing it fixed it! I thought that they all leak. Headlights, tail lights, all the lights.

43. Clem

Clem Active Member

I thought thats just what the dealerships say because they don't want to replace them :uhhuh:

I've had head lights fog up on the inside over time, but never had any issues with tail lights until the Forester.

44. tangledupinblu

We've had many threads about brand new Subarus and condensation in lights. All models and model years! Glad that you've had decent luck with them.

45. ryjacobs

I had standing water in one of my '11 STi hatch tail lights a few years ago. They replaced it no problem. Glad they did the same for you. I will have to watch ours.