Forester SJ XT Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Clem, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Clem

Clem Active Member

Thanks! I'm really excited to see how they'll look.... and yes, matte black, or flat black as he preferred to call it.

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea you're welcome to check mine out again. You do need to trim both sides. I found it easiest to hang the muffler by the hangers and leave it un-bolted. Hold the muffler roughly in place, then trim a small amount, then test fit again. It was tedious and time consuming, but if you rush it, you might trim more than you need to. If I recall, I had to trim the outer edge of the each opening more than the inner edge.
    Interesting...as in you could put the FXT tips on the WRX mufflers? That would have been a lot easier, and more reversible lol, although I kind of like the look of the quad tips.

3. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

Yes exactly. I too like the look of the quads but would be nervous about trimming my bumper.

4. Clem

Clem Active Member

[​IMG]

Well, thats a lot of sidewall :facepalm:

18x8.5 +38
    225/55 18 stockies

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. derp

derp Well-Known Member

that's a good thing.

6. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I haven't watched more than the first 5 minutes, but here is the video for the Last Human's Garage ep about cutting the bumper for the quad tips.

7. Clem

Clem Active Member

Wrap Wrap
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Slap Slap
    [​IMG]

SkeetsWisconny and JuStaWRX like this.
  8. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Any of you running an AP? Is it really worth the money?

9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I am not because I value my warranty. I've seen some decent feedback on the AP in the SJ FXT facebook group, but I've also seen quite a few CVT failures (stock and modded). Due to the number of CVT failures, I don't want to void my warranty.

If you do decide to get an AP, I'd highly recommend getting a custom tune and skipping the OTS maps.

10. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nah. My unofficial plan is to sell mine at 5 years/60k. That would also be the longest that I've ever kept a car, so we'll see if I actually keep it that long lol.

My 2nd unofficial plan if I keep it past 60k is to go stage 2...but we'll see how many CVT failures there are over the next ~4 years.

Side note...tomorrow marks my 1 year anniversary with the FXT!

12. curly2k3

I've got 5 years and 100k on my warranty, not overly concerned about failures if I have it for that full time frame since my deductible is cheap and it covers everything.

13. JuStaWRX

I have just over 4k left on my 60k mile warranty, and have toyed with the idea of doing the stage 2 route and getting an AP because of the same feedback that @TMF was talking about...but I also did say that this car would be just a DD with little to no mods beyond a few aesthetics... we will see. If a killer deal on an AP came by I'd try to grab it to at least start playing with a stage 1 tune.

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  14. derp

derp Well-Known Member

reports of CVT failure being semi-common are disheartening

Deathly likes this.
  15. Clem

Clem Active Member

I've read the CVT have started slipping between 280 and 300+hp. Now I'm not sure if thats at the wheels or at the "crank" as they say. iirc, I believe I saw somewhere that a stock SJ FXT gets ~215hp at the wheels.

I "plan" on keeping my Forester for more than 5 years, I bought the 100k warranty. I haven't quite decided if I'll actually go stage 2 or not. I'm with @TMF... we'll see what happens in the coming years with the CVTs.

16. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Worst case scenario...CVT takes a crap...then it's 6spd swap time! Amirite?

Deathly likes this.
  17. curly2k3

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone swap a CVT from a WRX into an SJ yet, supposedly they can hold more power.

18. Clem

Clem Active Member

I think they are the same HTCVTs. I think its the way the engines are tuned and a higher compression in the WRX that makes the difference in power. There is a thread on NASIOC about CVT failures in the WRXs due to power increases.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  19. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Clem likes this.
  20. JuStaWRX

I think one of the things about the CVT to 6spd swaps that I heard maybe a year ago is that it will be much more costly than older Auto to manual swaps... I have no further details to back it up, but I remember someone bringing it up on either subaruforester.org or the fb group.

21. curly2k3

on the foz forums it looked like the FXT one is infact different from the WRX one.

22. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The CVT's on the FXT's seem to be unrelated to power. Some folks are reporting leaks from the CVT and the dealers are replacing them, and others are getting horrible whining noises from the CVT, and the dealers are replacing.

It is really tough to say how prevalent the failures really are when I'm mainly seeing these cases on the FB group and forum. You have to keep in mind that forums/FB groups represent a niche market of "enthusiasts" along with people that may seek out these groups when they in fact have a failure.

I'm going to drive mine just like I would otherwise, and not modify the drivetrain so that I can keep my warranty. We'll see how things are looking in another 4 years!

23. curly2k3

I avoid the FB groups like the plague, there is definitely a different type of person that's a member on those.

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I agree, there are some FB groups that are like the plague (MNSubiez = beyond plague).

However the FB group that I'm referring to is for SJ forester owners only, and it is actually a pretty good group. It helps that not every bratty kid drives a SJ forester, and the group is actually very mature and mostly educated.

JuStaWRX and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  25. curly2k3

Fair enough, I just generally avoid facebook groups in general these days.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Good strategy.

27. Clem

Clem Active Member

I was driving home from work today and the good ole butt dyno felt like there was some lack in boost. Both in S and S# mode I was only able to hit 10psi... it touched 11 once, but dropped right back down to 9 and 10psi when typical boost is upward of 14-19psi.

This kind of stuff I am not very familiar with so I'm not too sure where to do start digging. I do know that there are many different factors that can lead to this, but does anyone have any ideers?

I have no powertrain mods, I haven't tinkered with anything under the hood, running 93 octane, 19k miles. My vehicle did have the recall done before I purchased it.

28. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

It is most likely due to the cold weather. Colder air is denser, which means less boost is required to get the same amount of air. I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

When it was really cold (around 0), I wasn't hitting full boost (14-19) either...I was closer to 10-12 IIRC. I didn't pay attention to the boost pressure when I drove today.

29. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

30. Clem

Clem Active Member

That could be it. Although today felt different than any of the other more colder days we've had. Torque seemed lacking. I didn't get that fly back in your seat feeling when under boost.

31. curly2k3

You facebook stalking me? I've been on like three times in the past month. lol

32. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Lol. No. It was more a statement that avoiding Facebook is good policy. Because it is a cesspool.

33. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

What r iz FaceBookz? I like pools!

Clem likes this.
  34. Clem

Clem Active Member

So I just bought an Eastwood fender roller. :smoke:

35. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

No Farcebookz for me. My cat had an account once though.

36. Clem

Clem Active Member

By the way, thanks for shooting that link to me. I ended up selling the complete panels to him.

37. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Great! Glad to help.

38. Clem

Clem Active Member

TMF likes this.
  39. curly2k3

I thought I remembered reading that, thank you for verifying I'm not loosing my mind.

I have zero intent to even try launch control in my FXT at this point, the increased midrange, better throttle mapping and increased MPG's are a welcome change so far.

40. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

I got new wheels for the FXT today. All I gotta do wait for is all the snow to go away.
    IMG_5021.JPG

Attached Files:

41. Clem

Clem Active Member

On the fenders you rolled, where any of the rears the double walled fenders? If so, how did you go about rolling those? Besides using heat, a lot of patience and slowly increasing the angle of the roller, do you have any advice or tips on rolling those? Did you roll them completely flat?

I'm not worried about the fronts... might not even need to do the them. I just don't want to "dimple" the rears.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  42. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I don't think any of the fenders were double walled...my 05 saabaru wagon had a rubber trim piece that need to come off, but then it was just a single layer of metal. My 08 STI had a rubber seal/lip on the inside of the fender that eventually peeled off as I applied heat and rolled. There was gray metal underneath, but I'm almost positive it was the primer color.

And you listed the main tips. Just don't overheat it and bubble or crack the paint. If it gets too hot to touch, it is probably too hot.

My other tip is determine the total length of the circumference that you want to roll, and then try to bend in that whole length at the same rate (e.g. don't bend in the middle part of the total length first, and then try to roll the edges).

Also, be careful when rolling near the seams, as circled here (I stole your photo...thanks :) )

[​IMG]

I had to roll near a seam on my 08 STI, and it tended to bow out at that area. Don't apply too much force, and try to apply pressure (with your hand or something) from the outside when you roll in that area.

If you're not careful, it will bow out like this (ha, I had this photo sitting in my imgur from years ago...apparently I like to give directions on rolling fenders):

[​IMG]

And about rolling flat...yea, go for it, you might as well. Once you get it rolled/bent past about 45 degrees, it gets easier and will be pretty easy to get it flat.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  43. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

My hope that they were the same is now gone ... thanks for posting the link. Going to have to pull back the power upgrade long term plans.

Anyone know off-hand what years the SPT exhaust bolts up to our SJ's? I'm in the market for one - I want to say 2012 and newer will mate up to our stock midpipe. The rest of the exhaust and tune will wait another yr or 2.

44. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

So I couldn't wait and I had some free time today. IMG_5038.JPG

JuStaWRX likes this.
  45. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I'm not a giant fan of gold personally but they look sharp on the black Foz or is that the dark grey. What size?